Hungry Horse Alive And Well?

taipan

The only place along Loy Kroh, which seems to attract many customers at daytime is the "No 1 Bar". I can't say much about night time, since I don't go out often after dark.

But walking along Loy Kroh or Moonmuang at daytime is really depressing. So many bars and restaurants and so few customers. I really wonder, how the owner of these places survive.

The only place along Loy Kroh, which seems to attract many customers at daytime is the "No 1 Bar". I can't say much about night time, since I don't go out often after dark.

But walking along Loy Kroh or Moonmuang at daytime is really depressing. So many bars and restaurants and so few customers. I really wonder, how the owner of these places survive.

It's not only Loi Kroh that suffers from this syndrome, perhaps 90% of the other bars in Chiang Mai suffer the same fate.

Along comes a bright-eyed farang with some bucks in his pocket, meets the lady of his dreams and decides to buy a business that'll set him up for life in CM, gets involved in a bar which has never had any customers but he knows he can turn it around, 6 months down the tube he has drunk most of his money away and the lady of his life has moved on.

Ho hum............

It's not only Loi Kroh that suffers from this syndrome, perhaps 90% of the other bars in Chiang Mai suffer the same fate.

What do you think is the reason for that? Is there a glut of bars? Or don't the bars deliver, what the customers are expecting? Maybe the wrong product? And why would someone walking around in Chiang Mai with open eyes start a new one or buy one?

Or is it the location? Imho the places at Nimanmaehim (correct spelling?) are doing quite good.

What do you think is the reason for that? Is there a glut of bars? Or don't the bars deliver, what the customers are expecting?

Most of the girlie bars that have attractive girls do pretty well. From now on, no Farang bars without a reasonable number of attractive, young girls should be allowed to open and if staff gets too low, the bosses work permit should be revoked! :o

But walking along Loy Kroh or Moonmuang at daytime is really depressing.

I FULLY agree. This is why I appreciate Pattaya so much: Lots of good wholesome DAYTIME pub-crawling to do.

I mean, what do you DO on a Sunday afternoon.. go to the museum again?

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight I was out with a friend. It's even depressing at night time.We walked along Moon Muang, then we crossed to the other side and walked up Loy Kroh. But it's the same old story everywhere, no customers or very few. What's going on in Chiang Mai?

Is there anybody, who has an explantion for that?

Tonight I was out with a friend. It's even depressing at night time.We walked along Moon Muang, then we crossed to the other side and walked up Loy Kroh. But it's the same old story everywhere, no customers or very few. What's going on in Chiang Mai?

Is there anybody, who has an explantion for that?

Yes, Chiang Mai is a seasonal tourist destination and from about the middle of August till the middle of September is the SLOWEST time of year - every year. Nothing unusual about it. :o

What do you think is the reason for that? Is there a glut of bars?

Upon my recent return to Chiang Mai after a three year absence, the first extended absence since 1981, I would think that indeed there is a glut of bars, as well as a glut of cars, restaurants, signs, resorts, and pathetic old Farang men with ridiculously young Thai wives.

But say hey, there is a Burger King opened in the Night Market, the advertising signs of which are now the leitmotif of the Lanna capitol.

Chaiyo!

But say hey, there is a Burger King opened in the Night Market, the advertising signs of which are now the leitmotif of the Lanna capitol.

Chaiyo!

....and what a terrible eyesore they are too! A man should get busy with a hacksaw one night :o

• 3 weeks later...

Getting back to the actual topic which is The Hungry Horse. Went past there the other day and they are doing a refit - how many refits can one place have? The sign just inside the open door was for a new steak house. Which brings me to the following points:

1) I hope the guy who bought it got a better lease deal than the Queen Vic. They were in and out quicker than Erol Flynn on prom night.

2) Why does someone think we need another steak house? Surely to goodness they must realise that steaks in CM are a limited market

3) What will it take for someone to actually open a restaurant that caters for a different food type?

I just hope they don't sell burgers and pizza as well - I don't think I can cope with a repeat of the last rib and pizza war

:o

CB