Places That Are A "must See"

sunshine4you

Hi There,

I live in between California and Phuket, and am planning to take a long trip around Thailand. Im looking for places that are not so full of tourists and have some character or charm. I would like to check out places in Isaan, and around the north. Ive heard of some spots, but would like to hear some members' favorite places to check out. Thank you in advance...

Sunshine :o

I dont know about Isaan but in the north I would recomend Phayao as one place to visit. Great views across the lake and some really good food places along the lake front. The town is nice and there is hardly any tourists or farang residents, however it doesnt feel like the typical run down boring country town at all.

Edited by madjbs

Hi There,

I live in between California and Phuket, and am planning to take a long trip around Thailand. Im looking for places that are not so full of tourists and have some character or charm. I would like to check out places in Isaan, and around the north. Ive heard of some spots, but would like to hear some members' favorite places to check out. Thank you in advance...

Sunshine :o

Consider Chiang Rai:

1.Go to Chiang Saen,see the ruins of the temple,Chiang Saen lake to see wild birds & the the town,there is a market on Sunday mornings,you can have a coffee and see the river .

It is touristy but 15 mins down the road The Golden Triangle & Opium Museum

2.Doi Tung is beautiful & tranquil ,and the legend of the Lady of the Mountains.

3.Visit the Monkey Temple,wine distillery & Maesai market.

Have a nice vacation

:D Wiley Coyote

to live in between california and phuket covers a lot of territory. i lived in between california and thailand last year in honolulu surfing and partying every day.it was hel_l!

i am planning a long and leisurely road trip from pattaya to phuket with no timetables or reservations, just stopping at any place of interest and any hotel with available rooms.

and i always bring along my favorite book,1000 places to see before you die.have about 600 places left.

Nice places along the Mekhong Chiang Khong Chiang Khan Nakhon Phathom

Chiang Khong has tourists that mainly stay just 1 night - good views going west to Chiang Saen

Chiang Khan [ Loei ] follow river all the way east to Nakhon Pathom plenty of places to stay along the way