Spending Money

dezmo07

Hi, wondering if anybody can help...

7 friends and I will be travelling to Thailand in March 2008 for 3 weeks. We are planning on visiting Bangkok, Koh Phangnan, Phuket, Phi Phi Island and mayb Pattaya if possible. We are all in our early 20's and are going there with no pre-booked accommodation. Could someone please help with a rough idea of how much money we would need to take? Thanks

7 friends and I will be travelling to Thailand in March 2008 for 3 weeks. We are planning on visiting Bangkok, Koh Phangnan, Phuket, Phi Phi Island and mayb Pattaya if possible. We are all in our early 20's and are going there with no pre-booked accommodation. Could someone please help with a rough idea of how much money we would need to take? Thanks

Before someone asks "how long is a piece of string", I'll chip in.

It's a backpackers kind of tourism?

(I'm a great supporter of it).

Most of the places you want to visit don't really have pre-booking. Assuming you would stay in the areas like that (Khao Sarn rd in BKK, for example).

My take would be - 200-400B per person in hostel kind of places to sleep.

Eat local food, some Macs.

No girly bars.

A few beers a day, better if there is a shared bottle of spirit.

IMO, about 1000B per day should make you enjoy your stay.

Take what you can afford +credit card (Nationwide) in case of emergencies (including transfer of money,although this is one of the most expensive ways of transfer and should only be used in a Real Emergency)

:o Wiley Coyote

it all depends on what OP plans to do - an alcoholic sex-tourist will spend way more than a tee-total culture vulture for example.

:o

lol well I definitely wouldn't say we're tee totallers and we do like a drink! So yes we will be planning on doing alot of the things thailand has to offer. We thought £1500 would be more than enough but after a few replies on here i'm beginning to doubt it would be as much as we thought

1) Allow £1,500 as long as you don't go mad you should find its closer to the £1K mark...food and beer is cheap.

2) Nationwide Flex account will give you a card that wont charge you for withdrawing from an ATM, all other cards credit or debit will.

3) It is easy to book accomodation on line! do try and book a few, you will get better rates and guarantee you somewhere at least halfway decent to shower and relax inbetween the usual backpacker haunts, some of which are rip offs, good accommodation is cheap in LoS!

4) Have a browse at the travelfish website, good info on Thailand http://www.travelfish.org/country/thailand

5) You wont take drugs at the full moon party in Had Rin because your sensible, you'll also keep an eye on ya drink from getting spiked for the same reason.

6) I'll shut up now.

it all depends on what OP plans to do - an alcoholic sex-tourist will spend way more than a tee-total culture vulture for example.

:o

lol well I definitely wouldn't say we're tee totallers and we do like a drink! So yes we will be planning on doing alot of the things thailand has to offer. We thought £1500 would be more than enough but after a few replies on here i'm beginning to doubt it would be as much as we thought

You are not being clear on what exactly you want to do and where you want to stay. Do you want guest house rooms with share bathroom or rooms with air con rated at 4 and 5 star service? Do you want boat trips to go diving or do you want to just walk around town? Do you want to go to bars and throw lots of money at the local girls or do you want to hook up with Western Women that pay their own way, or do neither and just pay for yourself? It can start at 1,000 baht a day up to as much as you want to pay, up to you as they say here, cheers. :D

Edit: I just re read your second post again and 1500 quid which is about 4,785 baht a day is a really good allowance. You could do all of the above, just tone down to a well appointed hotel for around 1,000 baht a night and you will be fine, have a good trip.

Edited by bmanly

Take 600 pounds per person per week. You'll need it.

Before someone asks "how long is a piece of string", I'll chip in.

It's a backpackers kind of tourism?

(I'm a great supporter of it).

Most of the places you want to visit don't really have pre-booking. Assuming you would stay in the areas like that (Khao Sarn rd in BKK, for example).

My take would be - 200-400B per person in hostel kind of places to sleep.

Eat local food, some Macs.

No girly bars.

A few beers a day, better if there is a shared bottle of spirit.

IMO, about 1000B per day should make you enjoy your stay.

Get real. There not monks

2000quid a piece..... always take the dosh home if not spent. This includes hotel/eats/drinks/tourist trinkets, but as said all depends on what you plan on doing.

Hi

As my old dad used to say...Take half the baggage and twice the money!! :o

TBWG :D

lf you avoid women :D and beer :o 60,000 thai baht is ok for 3 weeks.

A good teacher here (thai ) earns about 35000 per month.A day labourer varies to a max of 300 baht per day

Keep out of the beer bars and a good holiday can be had on the cheap.

At 20 years old though I doubt you will be able to resist the charms of the local wolf pack

A woman will cost anywhere from 500 to two thousand baht ( if you are a lame dupe overpayer-and you will be)

Farang food is expensive-eat thai food on the streets and you can eat for 20 baht-and it is good food.

Find a thai style hotel with fan and shower and pay 200 baht per night.

Most of all hedge your bets---this is a horrible place to be broke in. Bring more than you need and take the balance home.

Thieves abound in tourist areas so use travellers cheques-the extra you pay will be rewarded if you do meet a bad person.

Enjoy your holiday friend but see the real Thailand too---the tourist traps are overpriced and in no way indicative of real life here

Locals are offering great services: good food on the street often for about 40 p. Good haircuts for a quid. Massages for 2.50 (I won't forget the first foot massage I head). ** Try to get rooms with refrigerators. And when you travel, the trains are really cheap though slow. To fly, there are some budget airlines like NOK Air or AirAsia. ** IMHO, since a few are likely to share a room, the main cost will be whether you do all your drinking in bars or at the hotel. It's the 1000 small things which add up. To be honest, the 40 p food beats the restaurant chain where it costs X times more. And I found a lady selling delicious ice cream with fresh fruit for 25 p. So don't be afraid to try some small food place on the street.

A good teacher here (thai ) earns about 35000 per month.A day labourer varies to a max of 300 baht per day

Keep out of the beer bars and a good holiday can be had on the cheap.

At 20 years old though I doubt you will be able to resist the charms of the local wolf pack

A woman will cost anywhere from 500 to two thousand baht ( if you are a lame dupe overpayer-and you will be)

Farang food is expensive-eat thai food on the streets and you can eat for 20 baht-and it is good food.

Find a thai style hotel with fan and shower and pay 200 baht per night.

Most of all hedge your bets---this is a horrible place to be broke in. Bring more than you need and take the balance home.

Thieves abound in tourist areas so use travellers cheques-the extra you pay will be rewarded if you do meet a bad person.

Enjoy your holiday friend but see the real Thailand too---the tourist traps are overpriced and in no way indicative of real life here

whatever you bring make sure its in travellers cheques ,a piece of plastic for back up visa or mastercard ,access dont work ......

I tend to be able to go through about 10,000 Baht a day in BKK, and about half that in other tourist places. That is probably because in BKK I tend to start drinking at midday, and in tourist places I am being a tourist until late afternoon.

If I am in a 'Thai only' area where foreigners don't go much, I have a hard time getting through 1,000 Baht a day...

you will quickly learn an ancient Thai phrase "up to you"...

Cheers,

Daewoo

you think its cheap here but because you get value for your money your inclined to spend more and your coming in peak in patong though you should get good digs for 1000 a night if you dont bother with the beautiful ladies here it wont cost you to much 2000 to 2500 with digs but if you partake double it