Does "i Love You.." Really Mean....?

ChrisP

When your Thai bf (or gf) tell you "I love you..." on the 2nd date... are we really on the same wavelength culturally??

I suspect the way westerners use the phrase, and the way Thai's use it, are completely different. And when we hear it from a Thai.. we don't get the same meaning they do. Or am I wrong.?

Do they actually mean "I like your money..." or "I really enjoy your company...".. or.. "I think you're a good catch, and I want you to stay..."

Or... :o

ChrisP

What your saying is this I Love you in the western and thai worlds has different meanings? When my wife smells me well that's the way i describe it and then she says "I Love You" in thai I am hearing I Love You maybe i don't understand what your getting at :o

Yes.. I think some Thai's, (maybe not all) and Westerners understand "I love you".. in different ways.

Maybe it's only the bar-guys/girls....! but (in my experience) Thai's tend to leap to "I love you" quicker than a lesbian on a 2nd date...

(JUST Joking, girls, ok!) :o

ChrisP

ohhh i didn't see the part about the 2nd date yeah wouldn't you wonder if a western girl said she loved you on a second date?? I sue would :o When i went out with my wife in the beginning i wasn't sure how she felt about me. I know i could make her laugh or maybe she was being nice :D

By western standards, I think we differentiate between "I love you" and "I am in love with you", the latter meaning a state of infatuation, in my view closer to the Thai meaning of the terml when used earlier in the relationship than we fron the west are used to.

In my experience, one night stands in the west do involved some saying I love you and then not wanting to know your name the next day. I have experienced the term "I love you" used inappropriately in both cultures from what I believe the words should mean, but who am I to judge.

Language barriers being what they are and the influence of wesern cinema being so strong as it is, I am not "shocked" by Thais using the expression when it is clearly innapropriate and impossible to be true due to the shortness of time in the relationship, but your a fool to believe it when said without adequate foundation

Ok... thanks.. PTExpat :o

I know there are some who will use it as a manipulation device... but I was just wondering if the term really did have a different meaning to the Thai.

When my wife smells me well that's the way i describe it ...

By the way, what IS with that "sniff" thing that some Thai's do when they get close to you.. just before they kiss you...??!

Cheers

ChrisP

Edited by ChrisP

When my wife smells me well that's the way i describe it ...

By the way, what IS with that "sniff" thing that some Thai's do when they get close to you.. just before they kiss you...??!

Did you have a bath today, Chris?

No seriously the Thai expression for a kiss is HOM, which means to smell.

Unless in love Thai's do not kiss, they sniff, each other.

A real kiss means a little more, usually.

I love you, "Pom Lack Khun", on a first date really means "I like you",

and possibly I want to sleep with you........

not necessarily a declaration of undying love.

I would feel a bit weird to be sniffed by someone I like :o I'd rather be kissed......but of course then again, to each his/her own.

By the way, Astral, I think you've got the wrong information......the word for 'to kiss' in Thai is 'joop' .

Regards,

Jem

• 3 weeks later...

I think most Thais have the same feeling of love- whatever it is- that we farang do. I've seen the realization come over a partner's face that he had feelings for me deeper than an infatuation. It always came at the appropriate time, however- quite awhile after we'd started dating.

Most of the more sincere Thais I've known were not so quick to SAY 'I love you'- they did take it kind of seriously.

Re. sniff-kissing- it's also handier if you've been eating really spicy food... or if you're trying to hide the fact that you smoke from your boyfriend... (why do they think I won't figure it out?? :o )

"Steven"