Official Burmese Presence In Chiangmai?

sleepyjohn

About Us

The Irrawaddy is published by the Irrawaddy Publishing Group (IPG). IPG was established in 1992 by Burmese citizens living in exile and is not affiliated with any political party or organization. The Irrawaddy seeks to promote press freedom and access to unbiased information.

We are undergoing a few changes in the year 2000, including a change of name. Burma Information Group will be known as the Irrawaddy Publishing Group (IPG) to reflect the fact that we now include other areas of Southeast Asia in our coverage. While we no longer use the word "Burma" in our name, however, we would like to retain our Burmese identity. Just as the Irrawaddy River has for centuries supported Burmese civilization, the Irrawaddy Publishing Group hopes to contribute to a flourishing culture in Burma based o­n the free flow of information. At the same time, like many major rivers, the Irrawaddy is not contained by national boundaries.

http://www.irrawaddy.org

CONTACT ADDRESS:

P.O.BOX 242

CHIANG MAI UNIVERSITY POST OFFICE

CHIANG MAI 50202

THAILAND

Was waiting for the missus to fill the cart in Carrefour and noticed the Irrawaddy magazine in one of the small shops that you have to pass by after settling the bill. 100 baht for 40 pages I believe and not a bad read. There's an obvious slant to it but plenty of decent articles in September edition including 'dodgy deposits' in Singapore and a sad tale of the fabled Inle lake.

With what's going on at present across the border I would expect October edition (if not already published) to be well worth picking up.

About Us

The Irrawaddy is published by the Irrawaddy Publishing Group (IPG). IPG was established in 1992 by Burmese citizens living in exile and is not affiliated with any political party or organization. The Irrawaddy seeks to promote press freedom and access to unbiased information.

We are undergoing a few changes in the year 2000, including a change of name. Burma Information Group will be known as the Irrawaddy Publishing Group (IPG) to reflect the fact that we now include other areas of Southeast Asia in our coverage. While we no longer use the word "Burma" in our name, however, we would like to retain our Burmese identity. Just as the Irrawaddy River has for centuries supported Burmese civilization, the Irrawaddy Publishing Group hopes to contribute to a flourishing culture in Burma based o­n the free flow of information. At the same time, like many major rivers, the Irrawaddy is not contained by national boundaries.

http://www.irrawaddy.org

CONTACT ADDRESS:

P.O.BOX 242

CHIANG MAI UNIVERSITY POST OFFICE

CHIANG MAI 50202

THAILAND

Thankyou Skip actually I know one or two people involved with th e Irrawaddy and the first thing I did was look it up to find if there might be some action organised. There was no mention of anything as yet. I do understand that the Irrawaddy as an information source may need to keep a low profile to stay in print. (However it looks like now is the hour to throw caution to the wind.)

I am thinking more along the lines of protest.

Is there an embassy or consulate or other focal point of official Burmese presence in CM?

I shall be going to see a pretty senior monk friend today and put my ears to the rails. If monks were flooding onto the streets here in solidarity the Thai government might just sit up and listen. If the monkhood here does nothing I shall be pretty disappointed I can tell you.

Edited by sleepyjohn

I would be very surprised if the Thai monkhood gave any support (even verbal).

There are temples with Burmese /Shan connections such as Wat Pa Pao, but they would not want to draw attention to themselves. Also not that clear whether Shans are particularly involved. There are a large number of Shans in Chiang Mai but probably not that many ethnic Burmese.

You could start your protest at the Chinese consulate. :o

am thinking more along the lines of protest.

Great, just what we need in CM - so called 'peaceful protests' that invariably end up with some sort of violence because certain elements feel that to get their point across they don't have to comply with lawful directions. Anyway what makes you feel that your protests here would be listened to or even weighed up in the grand scheme of things? Seems like a a wasted exercise to me. I would have thought that if you felt that strongly about the situation (and don't get me wrong - I genuinely am concerned about what is happensing there) wouldn't you be better off actually going to Burma to voice your opinions and playing a more active role there?

For solidarity, you could always pay a visit "Burmese Alley" -- ironically just off Nimmanhaemin Road, the same soi as Hillside Condo #something.

There are also plenty of (presumed) aliens slaving away on RedBull and yabaa to hurriedly erect the Punnanny and Vietcong condos, too, living in the latest + trendiest Nimman housing niche:

makeshift tinroof shantys.

Edited by JoshMyPickle

I think it goes without saying that everyone supports the courageous Burmese monks and people in their bid to be rid of such vile oppression. I just hope they can succeed without loss of life but that is highly unlikely.

It is difficult to sit and watch events unfold there and be powerless to help but I see no way people outside can give any real assistance - the Burmese government don't give a hoot about the opinions of their own people let alone those outside the country.

If I am not mistaken, Chiangmai is still under marshal law. Not sure a demonstration or gathering in support of the demonstrations in Myanmar would constitute a political gathering but if so then it might not be allowed.

Edited by roietjimmy

am thinking more along the lines of protest.

Great, just what we need in CM - so called 'peaceful protests' that invariably end up with some sort of violence because certain elements feel that to get their point across they don't have to comply with lawful directions. Anyway what makes you feel that your protests here would be listened to or even weighed up in the grand scheme of things? Seems like a a wasted exercise to me. I would have thought that if you felt that strongly about the situation (and don't get me wrong - I genuinely am concerned about what is happensing there) wouldn't you be better off actually going to Burma to voice your opinions and playing a more active role there?

You know if there's one thing worse then someone sitting on their fat arse doing nothing it's sitting on their fat arse criticising others for doing something.

I was in Grosvenor Square in March 1968 and was active in the anti Iraq war movement, so don't think I wouldn't go to Burma tomorrow if I was able and thought it would help. Unfortunately I cannot and I don't. I believe it's time for a change of attitude in the Thai authorities and there's only one way this will happen, through public pressure. Getting people here off their disinterested <deleted> is another matter but I am at least making my views widely known among Thai friends and the monkhood. Pretty inconsequential but slightly better use of my time than sitting on my fat arse.

Edited by sleepyjohn

there's a wear red-shirt campaign going on in Phuket - perhaps something along the same lines could be organised here.

Now that ain't stupid SoloFlyer nice and visible.

I have just heard from a Thai friend there's a meeting at 3 Kings at 5pm. I dare say it will be pretty scant but from little acorns mighty oak trees grow.

The 3 Kings meeting was attended by about 300-350 people, all good humoured and well behaved despite predictions to the contrary.

Largely Burmese student types and a fair number of farangs. Good on you.

There were songs and a Buddhist monk and a couple fo religious bods said something.

A handful of cops turned up but were very laid back about the whole thing.

There is more at 10am at Suan Dok, then at 5pm again at 3 Kings with videos promised.

I have not found out yet about why the lack of vocal solidarity by the monkhood in general here. I must remember the Thai mind is very different. When I mentioned all this to my best Thai friend a newspaper editor who is cosmopolitan and has quiet class by the truckload, she said she had gone to a wat to pray on Wednesday night, so diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Oh no little Gary Coleman just entered my mind. As I don't have any pics of the gathering I'll torture you with this:

post-17221-1190997643_thumb.jpg

Edited by sleepyjohn