Gay And Lesbian Bars In Chiangmai

BossHogg

hi, i have my sister and some friends staying with me for a week as part of their travels. My sister is gay and im wondering if there are any lesbian bars\clubs in chiangmai....im afraid my knowledge of the gay scene is non existence..anyone point her to any hangout areas?

cheers mate, i know what you mean. i meet gay guys on a daily basis in all walks of life but i think the only obviously gay girls ive met have been tuk-tuk drivers. ...it also appears one of the guys likes katoey but i did warn him that id heard scary stories involving those you see around loi khro at night and suggested massage centres instead. Are there katoey massage parlours? i see gay massage and spas advertised but do katoey work at theses or are there specific places they do work. :o

Boss, you may want to show your friend that wishes to meet katoeys the following online article from this week;

"According to the Chiang Mai police the kathoeys or ladyboys are responsible for frequent robberies involving tourists in the city and this is damaging the image of Chiang Mai."

Take it with a grain of salt. But still, you might want to remind the folks to be prudent especially if there is a police "crackdown".

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/news.shtml#hd4

Boss, you may want to show your friend that wishes to meet katoeys the following online article from this week;

"According to the Chiang Mai police the kathoeys or ladyboys are responsible for frequent robberies involving tourists in the city and this is damaging the image of Chiang Mai."

Take it with a grain of salt. But still, you might want to remind the folks to be prudent especially if there is a police "crackdown".

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/news.shtml#hd4

i remember the story and this is why i warned him...i dont believe it would apply to all people as you cant tar everyone with the same brush. I wondered if there are safer enviroments that could be tried such as massage as i often see gay parlours and spas advertised. Are there kathoey spas/parlours.?

About that katoey krackdown article (a different, more detailed one of the incident), what do you reckon was the "anaesthesia" used upon the Israeli chap who got robbed? Surely not poppers or the like... and GHB isn't really an anaesthetic either...

Edited by JoshMyPickle

Hard to say. If you find a short-haired lesbian tuktuk driver, ask her. It's primarily for men, but there's Golden Ball bar and restaurant, at corner of Santitham road (from the roundabout) and Twean Road (accessible from superhighway also, just before grandview hotel). I forget the other one.

Golden Ball definitely gets a few Lesbians in, and is fast becoming the happening place in Chiang Mai. See their website www.bontong.com for more details (reviewed in Chiang Mai mail last week www.chiangmai-mail.com/240/dining.shtml. They also have a gay guide with map which would help with other places: www.bontong.com/GayChiangmai.html

Other places: Cupid bar at the Peak, I believe one of the owners is a Lesbian and works there sometimes (but haven't been for a few weeks). Friendship bar (the Peak) gets the most diverse crowd of all the night bazzar bars, including some Lesbians - worth asking Nui (the owner) for suggestions. Soho bar also has Lesbian clientele, though every time I've been there recently the place is dead and the staff spend all their time playing on the internet - ignoring the few customers they do have.

Someone mentioned recently the former owner of "Femme Fatale" (Lesbian bar) had opened something but can't recall what, or who told me. Anyone know?

Thanks to Paagai, our well informed reviewer of the Chiang Mai scene. Femme Fatale was the venue I was thinking of but couldn't remember; is it closed now?

Due to forum rules about URL's I have had to chop up some of Paagai's website citations, but you can figure it out.

...Cupid Bar; I never noticed the lesbian owner...:o

Thanks to Paagai, our well informed reviewer of the Chiang Mai scene. Femme Fatale was the venue I was thinking of but couldn't remember; is it closed now?

I remember now (from Utopia-Asia):

The Crypt 204\5 Ratchapakinai Rd,084-986-2596, 081-765-4697. Western and Thai owned (former owners of La Femme Fatale). Gothic-themed gay-friendly guesthouse with luxurious rooms at a backpacker's price.

I'd heard Femme Fatale was closed (as implied by the above) but I've never cheked this in person. Address was:

412/16 Chang Klan Road., Chiang Mai Land 053 204738, (if anyone's really interested they can always call)

...Cupid Bar; I never noticed the lesbian owner... :o

Hard to miss; she's a big girl :D She was actually the sister of one of the original owners (her name escapes me) But she was running the place for a while and I thought she had a stake.........but people buy and sell stakes in that bar way too often to keep up!