Buying Stuff Online And Getting It Sent To Thailand

TonyLeung

Ive read people mention that when they had items purchased they were required to pay customs tax. Is this amount tacked on at the intial purchase, or is it paid in Thailand, and if paid in Thailand - where? Do they notify you at the post office that your package has arrived? If you do pay at the post office, is the package then delivered to your home or must you bring it home yourself?

Is it every shipment or just luck of the draw?

If the package does not have any contact information on it, how do they get in touch with you?

Edited by TonyLeung

Most post parcels slip through and will be delivered to you.

However, legally, customs duties are imposed also for private people and also on gifts! In that case, they would send you a notification that you can pick up the parcel at the customs house and pay the duties and taxes imposed.

If the package does not have any contact information on it, how do they get in touch with you?

then it would be also difficult to deliver it to you, wouldn't it?

I rarely get a package from a business that I do not have to pay duties on. On the other hand most of the personal packages sent to me by friends or relatives get thru with no customs duties.

Some of the packages that are sent UPS I am able to pay the customs directly to the UPS delivery guy, others I have to go down to the customs house (down town not to far from the train station - and typically you pick up the package at the same time you pay the customs tax).

i order a lot of stuff online (books, vistoria's secret, stuff from eBay) and about every 3rd package i get charged by customs. usually about 50% of the value of the item! it's a big scam. regular mail tends to get through without it. you can have the sender mark it as a gift which helps too.

Ive read people mention that when they had items purchased they were required to pay customs tax. Is this amount tacked on at the intial purchase, or is it paid in Thailand, and if paid in Thailand - where? Do they notify you at the post office that your package has arrived? If you do pay at the post office, is the package then delivered to your home or must you bring it home yourself?

Is it every shipment or just luck of the draw?

This is an easy one, i do it weekly, it will all depend on the value declared and size of the box, if you send a t chest and declare it at $20 on the contents chances are it will be queried,. however if you send say a 18x18x18 inch box and declare it at $50 chances are you will get a notification from the post office ( this is assuming you have it send by EMS or regular mail ) and you will then have to go there and pay a small amout of tax, normally 5-800 baht, i have never tried to work out the tax percentage as ive only got another 20 or so years left !,.as for DHL/FEDEX and the like, very dangerous, they seem to doubt any value declared and even phone you ( make sure they have a phone number for you ). they once asked me if wheels i imported were for an auto or maual car ! :o ,i never did work that one out, all in all the post is reliable and theft has dropped,.

haha. Where is the customs house in BKK?

And will they continue the delivery to your residence after taxes have been paid?

Get your stuff sent with EMS only, you will then get notice to collect it from the post office and pay there ( assuming there is some duty due ) and take your parcel with you,.

October we went to England for a holiday, on the 30th we posted 3 boxes of clothes ect to Thai, cost 198quid, we were told 10 days to 2 weeks delivery, they still havent arrived,,, we live in a village near Udon Thani, does anybody think they could have been nicked? im a bit peeved cos my full face Shoei helmet was amongst other stuff! Was with Royal Mail or whatever it is now,Parcel Force?,,

Thanks, Lickey..

Edited by Lickey

October we went to England for a holiday, on the 30th we posted 3 boxes of clothes ect to Thai, cost 198quid, we were told 10 days to 2 weeks delivery, they still havent arrived,,, we live in a village near Udon Thani, does anybody think they could have been nicked? im a bit peeved cos my full face Shoei helmet was amongst other stuff! Was with Royal Mail or whatever it is now,Parcel Force?,,

Thanks, Lickey..

http://www.parcelforce.com/portal/pw/world...equestid=114967

Did you purchase extra insurance?

International Standard has a delivery time of 7 to 10 days. This has £150 worth of insurance included as standard.

Was it sent International Economy(no insurance)?

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu

Thanks for your reply Jiu, at the time of posting, i was so shocked at the cost so i dont remember whever it is was insured or not, anyway, Mrs has been to local post office today and they said parcels could be hung up in customs, give it another week and if you dont recieve, we will call them, to see if they have recieved or not, i will search for reciepts and check about insurance ect, Thanks Jui,

Rgds, Lickey..

October we went to England for a holiday, on the 30th we posted 3 boxes of clothes ect to Thai, cost 198quid, we were told 10 days to 2 weeks delivery, they still havent arrived

That 13.000 baht (or so) would have bought you those 3 boxes of clothes in Bangkok - easily. Anyway. I've received every box, letter and card that I ever expected was coming... Stuff do get nicked too. If you don't get your stuff within a month use the insurance that was obviously included in your posting.

Thanks, Lickey..

My track record for small packages of stuff getting here (Pattaya City) from the US in the last three months is 1 out of 3. :o

Thanks, Lickey..

I've known letters, sent airmail to rural village near Chiang Mai, take from 5 days up to 5 months ! So I don't think your stuff is yet anywhere near overdue. :o

Thanks, Lickey..

Can you not track it,? its very unusual to have stuff nicked these days

I am not suggesting for a moment that there is any racism or corruption in Thailand, but in my experience if the parcel is addressed to a Thai person, it is unlikely they will be asked to pay tax. If you have a Thai partner or friend it might be worth having it sent to them.