Sp2

Bizz

Downloaded the upgrade (108 mb to me) two days ago and installed on my xp prof system no problems. Now I get a new 'security centre' application which seems to tell me my firewall and antivirus software are on and my wireless connection icon has changed slightly. Good job I have ADSL though!

I downloaded (windowsupdate) the SP2 and installed it on my laptop (not critical and backup taken). Works like a charm.

Now updating main production computer (says it will be 116 MB). If you don't hear from me for a while, then I'm gone with Microsoft.

Bye bye!

Better to have separate hard disk on production machine and update every day.

That way if hard disk failure you can start again. With no loss. Saves writing disks every day and you can set to auto update.

Before anyone updates to sp2 run system restore and name example before installing SP2 if you machine crashes.

Start and press F8 Scroll down to start at last good configuration that worked. Then you can go back to system restore.

Microsoft will ship the CD to you free of charge. This CD includes the same Service Pack 2 software that is available for the download from Windows Update.

Delivery will take up to four weeks, but, for those of us who live in Thailand, the distribution point for Microsoft Asia is in Laksi and so the delivery time is likely to be shorter. Installation from the CD will be trouble free and takes no time at all, and no broken connections!!

The CD can be ordered on-line using the URL: Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

Artisan

You'll hear people say that it is a waste of time installing Windows Service Pack 2 and that it isn't really necessary. My feeling is that anyone who advises others NOT to install Windows XP Service Pack 2 is essentially encouraging them to remain vulnerable and open to Internet threats. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

I can't understand why anyone would want to encourage the propagation of worms, Trojans, viruses and DOS attacks, and that's what they're doing when they tell you not to install Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Because a few might experience problems with XP SP2 doesn't justify not installing it. You'll be safer and more secure with Service Pack 2 installed and that is a fact.

Artisan

P.S. By the way, I have no connection with Microsoft or Mr. Gates. (Tee Hee!!!)

While it makes sense to load SP2 to close some of the holes left open by Microsoft in the first place, I for one don't think there is any rush. Remember, SP2 is by the same people who created all the malware problems through shoddy development and testing practices to begin with. Unfortunately, SP2 doesn't address those core issues. Chances are there are some Chinese university students uncovering more new vulnerabilities in SP2 as we speak.

If you are using a personal firewall and an antivirus software *and* you stay as far away as you can from IE (thanks to Opera, Mozilla, etc) and you don't enable JavaScript, you have little to worry about. You can afford to wait until all the kinks are ironed out of SP2 itself and the rush to download and install the the update (which. incredibly, is almost as big as XP itself!) has subsided.

You will then only have to compete with me for the download! And I won't mind in the least if you beat me to it.

RSS has a fair point when he says that there is no need to rush into installing SP2. Indeed, several international companies have chosen to wait for two months before using SP2; NOT because of any concern about remaining security loop-holes in SP2 but because of latent incompatibilities between SP2 and their own commercial software. This incompatibility concern can relate to personal software also. For example, there is a known conflict between ZoneAlarm Firewall and SP2 that hasn’t been resolved yet. Norton Antivirus 2003 has incompatibilities whereas there are no conflicts with the 2004 version.

Just a couple of points-

Firstly, SP2 has to be the most ambitious and far-reaching service pack Microsoft has ever produced, and it has one main focus……SECURITY. So, RSS, it has addressed the core issues you mention in your posting. With regard to your very good advice on the use of a firewall and anti-virus software, and staying away from IE, it is estimated that 35% of Windows XP users don't have a working anti-virus program installed and many that do don't keep them updated. Many people are unaware that anti-virus protection is nearly useless unless it's updated and frequently. The Internet is vulnerable because of these people.

Secondly, although you refer to a couple of other browsers, around 90% of all Internet browsing is done through IE. People might change, but because of the security focus given by SP2, I somehow doubt it.

I’ve heard the Moaning Minnies in Pattaya complaining about Microsoft and the “Windows” people who (quote) "created all the malware problems through shoddy development and testing practices" (unquote). According to these guys, Bill Gates is a bandit, his company’s products are flawed and “Windows” is the biggest rip off in creation. I have only one question for these people……….”How much did you pay for your copy of ‘Windows’?”

Let’s see how it goes. Eh?

Artisan

I normally make it a point not to take a flame bait and I only try to engage in intelligent discussions without resorting to any kind of personal attacks, but in this case, I will make an exception.

First off, my reply was not addressed to anyone in particular but just a personal opinion. Call me a Moaning Minnie if you must (they don't call me El Ninny in my hood for nothing) but I just don't think a 100+ MB update - and that is before it's unpacked - that addresses security speaks well about Microsoft's development and testing practices that helped create those very same security problems. The core issues that I mentioned were those practices that created the need for such a mammoth update in the first place.

And to answer your question, I paid over 90,000 Baht for my copy of Windows ... but a laptop did came with it. But if you were trying to imply that the people who got a "free" copy of Windows have no cause to complain or are somehow responsible for the security flaws, your logic baffles. A much better reasoning might suggest that a company that made it's founder alone one of the richest men in history would at the very least put out products that merit that achievement.

Hi,

I am not quite sure which updates you're referring to. The SP2 package for Windows XP is 266 MB and with limited bandwidth I would wait for the CD-ROM. Installing the SP2 I think, is a must because the security will be significantly increased but there are many pittfalls. People who are not very computer literate will encounter a lot of problems in relation to the previous security settings and especially with possible https: sites. This will require a lot of adjustments of the security settings. Some insight to the problems with SP2 for XP can be read at

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1636075,00.asp.

Good luck.

Cheers.......kandt :o

Dear RSS,

I apologise profusely because you appear to be offended by my response. I was in no way getting at you personally. I am not familiar with the term “flame bait” and, like you, I try to engage only in intelligent discussions and avoid personal attacks.

I accept that you, and everyone else, have their opinions and should be free to express them. Your opinion was expressed and accepted but not agreed with entirely. I expressed my “personal” opinion and I did not expect anyone on the Forum to be so sensitive to my point of view.

I did write that you had a “fair point” and that you gave very good advice on the need for a firewall and anti-virus software”. The essence of my posting was based on published facts relating to the general understanding and use of these utilities. To a very significant extent, the people who use the Internet without a firewall or adequate (i.e. up-dated) software are transmitting these viruses unwittingly. That was my point. Just as an aside, and nothing personal, we have to thank those people who pass on chain e-mails for the wasteful use of the Internet and the collection of e-mail addresses by the spammers.

Furthermore, I can say that my posting was not addressed to anyone in particular, nor was I asking you a personal question. I did NOT say that you are one of these “Moaning Minnies” that we see, hear and read far too much of. I am confident that you are not; you are articulate and very communicative in expressing your views. These people (M.M.s) think nothing of paying 100 baht for a pirated copy of XP from under the back stairs of ‘reputable’ software outlets in Pattaya and then scoffing the software for its deficiencies.

I hope that, although your opinion is different, that you will allow me to have my viewpoint now and I repeat my apology for any offence caused to you.

Artisan

Miracles will never cease.

Walked into a Staple's office supply store earlier today and guess what I found on the counter?

A large box of Official Microsoft SP-2 CD's. Free to all customers. Grabbed about a dozen for friends. Thumbs up to Microsoft for "finally" doing something right and to Staples for their participation.

(Wonder if Microsoft plans to compete with AOL, by putting these SP-2 CD's in every place, including the Post Office and public WC's. :o )

Artisan,

It seems we both had our wires crossed. You are a true gentleman but there is no need for your gracious apology. I believe you when you say that there was no offense intended and I can assure you that none was taken.

We can agree to disagree and I do respect your opinion The point I was trying to make all along was that the blame for the proliferation of malware lies with the authors of those malicious programs to be sure - and I think (hope) we can agree on that - but also with Microsoft for making it possible for them to do so for so long.

If you are old enough to remeber books before the advent of the computer, you might have seen some with an erratum section for any mistakes that are discovered after the book has been printed. No one is blamed for them because mistakes do happen, but if the erratum section is as volumnous as the original book, then there is definitely something seriously wrong somewhere. It would be silly to blame the people who bought the books or the libraries that lent them out or even the second hand shop that resold them or the charities that gave them away for free to needy schools.

That, in essence, is my point about Microsoft and the size of SP2. I don't blame them for making the occasional mistake, but when the mistakes are so massive - as suggested by the size of SP2 - and when security has been such a major issue on the internet that it has spawned a whole new industry, then I can't help but question what the ###### is going on in Redmond, Washington.

That is all.

All,

If you are not a tech I would hold off on downloading SP 2 for a few weeks. I have seen a lot of issues with other SP releases in the past. There are a lot of nice upgrades in the new SP. Let remember what and SP is. IT basicaly a new operating system. They update all the core files.

S Service pack has two purpouses for Microsoft.

One

Its a role up of all the hot fixes, windows and critical updates made into one file. So if you are current. you will be no more vanurable to attacks. It would be really stupid for them to have SP 1 more exposed than SP 2. No corperation would ever upgrade to an new SP without testing first.

Two

Software enhasments: They also like to add new futures. I agree that SP2 has a lot of nice enhancements. Infact they make it a lot simpler to lock down a system from attack. Also the I.E pop up blocker is nice.

What will happen the first few weeks of release is people from all over the world will have little errors and send the report to MS. The a few weeks later there will be an update to the SP...

SP are so large and can really mess up a system up. I was a tester for SP2 I took it off my main sysetem becuase of glitches.

Also if you are in Thailand make sure you have recent copies of your hardware drivers from the manufacture. MS drivers are not as clean and often opmit functions that the manufacture had. (Video and Sound cards are the best example of it. )

Just a word of advice unless you don't mind doing a reinstall. Give it a month lets make sure its not a repeate of NT 4.0 (SP6) two months after that they released SP6a.

Not to diss anyone but after supporting 2000 workstations in a few differnt companys I have seen lots of little problems.

I suspect your performance loss might be due to those incompatibilities that SP2 has with over 50 commonly used pieces of third-party software, especially with some of the firewall and antivirus software available generally. Have a look at what is loading during start-up. Disable systematically some of the software that loads automatically at start-up and see if you get an improvement.

After installing SP2, if anything, my computer boots much as before but the shutting down process is much faster.

Just a friendly note RSS, I accept your point regarding book errata....but never mind books, I'm almost old enough to remember the Dead Sea scrolls....and before they were found!!!

Cheers

Here is a new link (other link in these postings must have been moved).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...us/default.mspx

It's worth getting the disc incase you have to reboot your PC

Here is another link to a list of the programs that lose some functionality after loading SP2

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=884130

The size of your SP2 download will vary as to whether you have windows update switched on. I've just turned my off as I want to decide when I load it until I'm sure that SP2 is safe.

You can turn off auto update by right clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties, and first choosing the Automatic Updates tab. Select either Turn Off or, minimally, Notify me.

Again, be wary of people advising not to apply software updates. Bottom line...the risk of NOT applying SP2 is far greater.

Please tell us of your of your computer related credentials. How man rollouts have you done of NT, 2000 and XP? How many desktop are you personally responsible for supporting? Can you promise to everyone on this board that you will come to their house and fix there system, if there are problems?

((( BOTTOM LINE)))

Can you give specifics on what the new service pack has the critical updates do not?

Not disagreeing there are improvements. In the ten plus years of desktop management I have seen way to many issues. Remember Windows ME the largest blunder in MS history.

It seems the upgraded firewall is having some configuration frustrations.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1523355,00.asp

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1413404,00.asp

In short order the CD from the website it will take few weeks to arrive. Then install it when there are no articles and the few bugs have been worked out.

After adding sp2 to my computer, it boots very slowly and the HDD serems to go into a repetitive routine for a couple of minutes, slowing everything down.... any ideas?

Sounds like your system needs a good cleaning b4 you installed the SP…

Try this…

1) Boot into safe mode. Click F8 just b4 the XP screen comes up. The do a search for *.tmp and ~*.* - delete them

2) Reboot normal mode. Right click on your C drive and go to tools. Do a check disk. It might say you need to reboot. Do it.

3) If you live near a computer place get a copy if Diskkeeper 7 or 8. and do a real good defrag.

4) If not run the MS defragmenter, The right click on my computer, Properties, advanced, performance, advanced, virtual memory, No click on the C drive change to custom size. Change the max size to the same as initial size. Click SET

Reboot.

5) Reboot and do a second defrag.

What happens is, a disk drive is like a checker board and over time the squares get disorganized. The Page file or Virtual Memory will get put all over the place and windows needs to find all the files.

Also you should keep your drive about 20% empty. The computer likes room to breath just like we do.

Let me know if this helps…

After adding sp2 to my computer, it boots very slowly and the HDD serems to go into a repetitive routine for a couple of minutes, slowing everything down.... any ideas?

Sounds like your system needs a good cleaning b4 you installed the SP…

Try this…

1) Boot into safe mode. Click F8 just b4 the XP screen comes up. The do a search for *.tmp and ~*.* - delete them

2) Reboot normal mode. Right click on your C drive and go to tools. Do a check disk. It might say you need to reboot. Do it.

3) If you live near a computer place get a copy if Diskkeeper 7 or 8. and do a real good defrag.

4) If not run the MS defragmenter, The right click on my computer, Properties, advanced, performance, advanced, virtual memory, No click on the C drive change to custom size. Change the max size to the same as initial size. Click SET

Reboot.

5) Reboot and do a second defrag.

What happens is, a disk drive is like a checker board and over time the squares get disorganized. The Page file or Virtual Memory will get put all over the place and windows needs to find all the files.

Also you should keep your drive about 20% empty. The computer likes room to breath just like we do.

Let me know if this helps…

Thanks..... but I took the opportunity to do a full system re-core just before adding SP2 and it ran like a dream right up until adding SP2 a few hours after re-installing windows. After that, slow as ###### boot-up.

Will try your suggestions though.