The Big Pattaya City Sign Overlooking The Bay

astromash

Okay, I like doing things backwards. Did a search on the forum just now. Seems the answer is: January 2007. Back then some BMs were moaning about the cost. Well I get a kick out of the sign every time I see it at night. Well worth the cost I think.

Edited by astromash

Thanks astromash for such a lively and entertaining thread. I agree though it is kinda cool, although I have had to explain to many Thais what the white bit at the end is (the word 'city'). Maybe they could have saved a few thousand baht and confused Thais by leaving it at Pattaya.

Sorry nothing to add really, just thought your thread was looking a bit sad and lonely :o

I'm sure the impoverished Thais right here in Pattaya just love it and how the city spends money.

Like it or not, I'm confident that there's better examples of where City Hall has spent money unnecessarily. I for one think that it's OK, you can get a great view of Pattaya Bay from up there.

Question: How long have you seen the sign work properly?

I think I saw it fully functional with all colors in sync for like 2 weeks in total.

I heard they have had several repairs on it but it just keeps breaking.

Not sure what you mean by 'in sync' but at night all the letters light up and they change colour subtly all the time. At least they do whenever I'm looking at it. What more do you want? I suppose one of the things I like is that the sign kind of says "not ashamed to be PATTAYA" or even "proud to be PATTAYA". Might have been even better if they'd been bolder and stuck to the old slogan for the city and had the sign say "PATTAYA - THE EXTREME CITY".

this sign is just another example of Pattaya councils style over substance money spending policy. personally i would rather they fix the roads, the drains, the sidewalks, the power outages, the water shortages, etc etc etc etc ......its not as glamerous or as noticeable but would benefit Pattaya a lot more in the end.

Okay, I like doing things backwards. Did a search on the forum just now. Seems the answer is: January 2007. Back then some BMs were moaning about the cost. Well I get a kick out of the sign every time I see it at night. Well worth the cost I think.

It was earlier than that. I would say October/November 2006. It wasn't just a case of putting up a sign...they've built a large concrete viewing platform there.

When does it get knocked down accidentally like the city truck did to the brand-new city-funded overpass on North end of Sukhumwit?

What does it get altered ala the famous "Hollywood" sign to "Hollyweed"?

What could the possible alterations be to "Pattaya City" given the above example?

Edited by sriracha john

It was earlier than that. I would say October/November 2006. It wasn't just a case of putting up a sign...they've built a large concrete viewing platform there.

I have a photo of it nearing completion in December 2006. If I remember the details it cost around 150 Million baht and they had to cut down 200 or more trees during the construction The Pattaya City Council refer to it as part of the beautification of Pattaya :o

I have a photo of it nearing completion in December 2006. If I remember the details it cost around 150 Million baht and they had to cut down 200 or more trees during the construction The Pattaya City Council refer to it as part of the beautification of Pattaya :o

There was a thread about it at the time. Costs there are suggested at 55 million baht. It sounds like the sign was pretty much complete by the end of January 2007.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=100840

There was a thread about it at the time. Costs there are suggested at 55 million baht. It sounds like the sign was pretty much complete by the end of January 2007.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=100840

The sign was completed before the new year.

That's a lot of pothole-fixing, sidewalk-smoothing, beach-cleaning, water-treating, sewage-stopping money.

An extract from Pattaya Mail reporting on 3 days of celebrations commencing on 29th December 2006.

Staff Reporters

Pattaya saw in the New Year with its usual dazzling style, with thousands of visitors from Bangkok, the nearby provinces, and overseas joining in the fun that was focused around Bali Hai Pier.

For three consecutive nights, starting on Friday December 29, the crowds gathered for the lineup of events that really did feature something for everyone.

post-15964-1197203706_thumb.jpg

Pattaya`s big new sign is backlit with fireworks.

Pattaya Mail Fri Jan 5-Jan 11th 2007.