Marriage And Dual Citizenship

mnbcm

My wife is Thai and legally immigrated and married me in the U.S. I am a U.S. citizen. We plan to go back to live in Thailand long term and I have a few questions regarding this.

1. Do you think my wife should complete the immigration process and get U.S. citizenship (dual citizenship) before moving back to Thailand?

2. If you've done this too, have you had any negative experiences with dual citizenship in Thailand?

3. Once we get to Thailand, do we need to register as married? We already have a license in the U.S. but I'm sure we'll need proof of marriage in Thai in the future.

If you can help with one or all and give any resources I would be very grateful for any help. Thank you! :o

1. Do you think my wife should complete the immigration process and get U.S. citizenship (dual citizenship) before moving back to Thailand?

Yes. Doing it while still there is faster and easier.

2. If you've done this too, have you had any negative experiences with dual citizenship in Thailand?

None whatsoever. All positives really.

3. Once we get to Thailand, do we need to register as married? We already have a license in the U.S. but I'm sure we'll need proof of marriage in Thai in the future.

Not really. Go to US embassy and make an avadavit (spelling) stating you're married, have it translated, then have it approved by Ministry of Foriegn Affairs.

Good luck

Not quite so cut and dry. Americans are subject to tax for this life, and beyond regardless of residency. If your wife has substantial assets, or you have assets in her name, then you may not want to make her a citizen.

Otherwise pretty much correct.

Not quite so cut and dry. Americans are subject to tax for this life, and beyond regardless of residency. If your wife has substantial assets, or you have assets in her name, then you may not want to make her a citizen.

Otherwise pretty much correct.

She doesn't have substantial assets so that certainly wouldn't be a problem. Thank you for your help!

One thing to think about is the Tax ramifications before she applies for US citizenship. Something that i didn't really think about before applying for US citizenship.

US citizens are required to pay tax on their worldwide earnings, so even if you permanently moved back to Thailand she would have to file/pay taxes to the US.

US citizens are required to pay tax on their worldwide earnings, so even if you permanently moved back to Thailand she would have to file/pay taxes to the US.

Only have to pay taxes if over $USD 85,000.00 if earned in Thailand but would have to file for exemption if below this amount and have lived in Thailand for 1 year. Any earnings though, such as interest, investments, etc. made in the US will be taxable and not exempt.

We're just thinking about the long term effects and weighing options. For example, if we have an emergency in the U.S. it would be nice not to have to worry about getting a visa back to the U.S. Any other pros and/or cons? Maybe it would be better to just not worry about citizenship since we probably won't ever reside in the U.S. anyway.

We're just thinking about the long term effects and weighing options. For example, if we have an emergency in the U.S. it would be nice not to have to worry about getting a visa back to the U.S. Any other pros and/or cons? Maybe it would be better to just not worry about citizenship since we probably won't ever reside in the U.S. anyway.

Even if you don't plan on residing in the US there are still benefits to having both a Thai and US passport. For example, if you decide to travel to Europe for vacation, having a US passport will not require a visa whereas with a Thai passport your wife would need a visa.

My wife is a dual citizen, but since we live in the US there are many more benefits for us. For example it is my understanding that as a US citizen, she is qualified to receive more of my social security benefits than if she wasn't a US citizen. The taxes aren't an issue for us since we have to pay them anyway because we live in the US and besides, I'm the only wage earner.

Although it is true that as a dual citizen of Thailand and the US, your earnings outside the US are supposed to be considered when filing a US tax return, the reality is that since you are also a citizen of Thailand and even if have a few assets there, the US would have little knowledge of what you are doing when you are in Thailand since you would not normally be using your your US social security number when transacting business there.

In an event, I think a US passport or European passport is worth it's weight in gold compared to a Thai passport which gets you nothing other than the right to live in a poor developing country. IMO, if they were able to put a market price on a US or Western European passport versus a Thai passport, there woud not even be a close comparison.

One thing to think about is the Tax ramifications before she applies for US citizenship. Something that i didn't really think about before applying for US citizenship.

Since the husband is a US citizen they will have to file joint return each year anyway, so her being a citizen makes no difference. If she has a job in Thailand, any income would fall within the $85k foreign income exclusion.

IMHO she should get the citizenship, as said, it makes any future travel much easier.

TH