2 Year Overstayer - What Will Happen To Me?

hi. im a kiwi and came here on a 3 month non imigration visa 2 years ago. have never done a visa run. my brit friend says if i leave thailand, i can just pay a fine at the airport, maybe 20000 baht. they will also let me come back no worries mate if i offer an "incentive". i believe the rules have changd now and there much tougher on those "farang kee-nok" , though.

id like to visit singapore, but want to be able to come back witthin a few days. i dont want to risk leaving thailand if it means im going to get deported or refsued reentry or whatever. you cant always just bribe your way out of everything in thailand if your farang and thais think your playing them for saps. i love thailand and want to stay for a long time, but sometimes i feel a bit trapped, not being able to travel aborad. what would people suggest i do.

i do work here, but unofficially with no set salary. i dont know anything about work visas or anything, and im not drawing a regular salary, anyway. im not dong anything illegal, though, what i do is quite above baord. my thai isnt good enough to be courteous and make a good impression on a thai official if i had to beg.some thai oficial might be insulted if i "threw" money at them thinking i could buy them off that easy. i dont know. whats the present situation? what should i do? thank you.

ok, have just found a thread here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...l=overstay&st=0 "Two years overstay, what do do?, I am worried"

like with that guy, ill expect a lot of people here to dump on me for doing this, thats there no excuse etc. youll all be right about this. its true, im clearly in the wrong here. nevertheless, how i should proceed? if it makes in difference, i dont drink, whore around, do drugs, or live a trashy life like many farang kee-nok do who come here, disrepecting thai people or culture, but yes, i have disrespected their law. so flame away, i can take that, but i hope some people can help as well. any advice apreciated.. thank you.

why do honest people get punished for their honesty and such ignorant overstayers chances ... thailand is a tolerant place, but people like you make it more difficult for everybody, because rules with this and that have to be made.

the easiest way would be to "lose" your passport, but you will be asked questions anyway. and thats good.

show some more respect for your host country and its laws.

if this happens to you in singapore, which you want to visit, they'd cane you. without exepction.

some people may need it to being able to follow simple rules.

dr_Pat_Pong: thanks, but is that all? wont they question me about what ive been doing? ill have to fill in lots of paperwork about where i live and so on? i know enough about dealing with officials, in that i should be unfailingly polite, respectful, smile genuninely, neer argeu or get angry, and also dress neatly and conservatively, be clean shaven etc. that wont always enough, of course, but it helps.

danone: so you reckon i should "lose" my passport? i definitely wont be overstaying in singapre, i just want to visit a friend for a few days. and if i get caught and thrown in jail, ive only got myself to blame. im a decent living guy, though, living the quiet life, dont abuse my body, thai people or the laws (apart from overstaying) and believe in karma, so i dont think the worst is going to happen at all. but you never now.

i have so many questions, but i suppose i should jsut wait for someone whos done what ive done recently to tell me their experience.

why do honest people get punished for their honesty and such ignorant overstayers chances ... thailand is a tolerant place, but people like you make it more difficult for everybody, because rules with this and that have to be made.

the easiest way would be to "lose" your passport, but you will be asked questions anyway. and thats good.

show some more respect for your host country and its laws.

if this happens to you in singapore, which you want to visit, they'd cane you. without exepction.

some people may need it to being able to follow simple rules.

That lose your passport stuff is BS. Anytime you go for a visa, they print up your history regardless so why bother. this poster is a troll anyway.

Kiwibird, my understanding, from other people who have overstayed, is that as long as you make it to the airport with your 20,000 baht and don't get caught for anything beforehand, you will only have to pay the fine and leave. You will then be allowed back in. They may ask you questions, may not. Depend on the officer. If you can show that you have money (atm receipts whatever) then that may help. Who knows? My understandiing is that generally they don't, but like I said, it may depend on the officer. Make sure you look ok, no long hair, no dreads, clean, neat clothes.

And understand one thing, people like you do make it harder for everyone else. Perhaps it was a simple mistake but one easily corrected without waiting two years!

sbk: thanks, thats interesting. for the last two years, ive been trying to get a business started with another farang, its been tough going, but now were a registred thai company, we have a small office, etc, so i can start doing all teh work permit paperwork. i will become legit and not make it harder for the law abiding folks like yourself, scouts honour. i just didnt want to stuff up now by going to singapore if it meant being banned just when things are starting to come together. like i said, i keep a real low profile, and dont think police or immigration are going to stop me in the street or something before i leave thailand.

unbiasbob: thanks, its hard for me to know whos serious and whos pulling my leg. i know ive exercissed poor judgement, although i felt i didnt ahve much option at the time, but if people just flame or post bs, well, its not helpful. i suppose clueless newbies like me are easy targets and maybe deserve some of the criticism we get.

thank you unbiasbob for calling me a poster - to which respect?!

just because I asked some naive questions about RP?

well, now I'm really out of here ... there are some helpful hands and souls in here, thank goodness.

I wasnt referring to you dude. it was the OP. sorry for confusion

sbk: thanks, thats interesting. for the last two years, ive been trying to get a business started with another farang, its been tough going, but now were a registred thai company, we have a small office, etc, so i can start doing all teh work permit paperwork. i will become legit and not make it harder for the law abiding folks like yourself, scouts honour. i just didnt want to stuff up now by going to singapore if it meant being banned just when things are starting to come together. like i said, i keep a real low profile, and dont think police or immigration are going to stop me in the street or something before i leave thailand.

unbiasbob: thanks, its hard for me to know whos serious and whos pulling my leg. i know ive exercissed poor judgement, although i felt i didnt ahve much option at the time, but if people just flame or post bs, well, its not helpful. i suppose clueless newbies like me are easy targets and maybe deserve some of the criticism we get.

Well look, if you did get banned, what could you say about it? No one would feel sorry for you. the only thing you can do is leave the country and see what happens. And don't think there is no way that immigration can catch you beforehand. It is in the realm of possibility. crazier things have happened. Any number of things can happen to you here that would require a presentation of your passport to authorities

You'll proberbly get to the airport without getting picked up. Get to the airport in plenty of time before you're flight goes, you will get a grilling. If you can show that you had had money coming into Thailand over the last 2 years and have not been supporting yourself by working in Thailand that will help. You will get a stamp on you're passport and there will also be an entry on thier new computer system.

Before you come back to Thailand apply for the correct visa. I suspect that you will find it difficult to come back on a tourist visa or the 30 day visa exempt stamp for the next few months.

No necessity to go to the airport. You can also go to the Immigration Police at any office and confess your sins.

But if you are caught beforehand, even going through the entrance door (airport or other office - same thing) you will be charged, found guilty, jailed, deported.

Good luck with going to Singapore, but first make sure you are clean with the authorities. In Singers you should apply at the Embassy (Orchard Road, about number 200 - taxi-drivers know the place) for a three-month visa as a minimum.

And take as much paperwork as you can to both places, showing that you hve received income from overseas.

This is not a good way to start up a business!

No necessity to go to the airport. You can also go to the Immigration Police at any office and confess your sins.

But if you are caught beforehand, even going through the entrance door (airport or other office - same thing) you will be charged, found guilty, jailed, deported.

Good luck with going to Singapore, but first make sure you are clean with the authorities. In Singers you should apply at the Embassy (Orchard Road, about number 200 - taxi-drivers know the place) for a three-month visa as a minimum.

And take as much paperwork as you can to both places, showing that you hve received income from overseas.

Getting caught working without the appropriate visa and work permit, whether paid or unpaid, is also very illegal.

Getting caught working without the appropriate visa and work permit, whether paid or unpaid, is also very illegal.

i agree with doctor pat pong, you are setting yourself up to get busted big time.

overstaying visa

working on a tourist visa

working without a work permit

you should make your visa the first priority

i have so many questions, but i suppose i should jsut wait for someone whos done what ive done recently to tell me their experience.

what is wrong with you, why would you wait? leave the country and go get a non immigrant B visa. when you come back get a work permit.

Are you absolutely sure this is correct??

As far as I know you can only do this at the Airport.

If it IS possible at - say, Suan Plu, then as a minimum the chap should take with him an Air Ticket showing him leaving Thailand that afternoon; but even then, what assurance does the Immigration Officer at Suan Plu have that he will go straight to the Airport and leave Thailand?

I think that's why the only place you can pay the fine is at the Airport after you pass Immigration?

i do work here, but unofficially with no set salary. i dont know anything about work visas or anything, and im not drawing a regular salary, anyway. im not dong anything illegal, though, what i do is quite above baord.

Well, you see son you ARE doing several things illegally.

Overstaying - OK you have admitted to that, and generally speaking it's the lesser of your sins.

What REALLY gets the Thai Authorities upset is people who work in Thailand:

1) Without a Work Permit

and therefore

2) Without paying Income Tax on their earnings in Thailand

Frankly both these things anger me too.

I have worked in Thailand legally for many years and paid literally millions of Baht in Income and Corporate Taxes here - I object strongly to the Kee Nok Farang who deliberately flout the regulatiosns.

If anything causes the Thai Governbment to crack down on multiple Visas by "walkers" etc., it will be the fact that they know most of these people contribute nothing to the Country via taxation.

but even then, what assurance does the Immigration Officer at Suan Plu have that he will go straight to the Airport and leave Thailand?

Why would anyone pay 20,000baht, plus x amount for the plane ticket, if they plan on continuing to be on overstay?

I'm sure I've heard or read somewhere that you can pay at an immigration office, although I would say that it would be better at the airport as I've read of people doing it before. But first, he would have to check-in for his flight where perhaps the staff will check for a valid stamp/visa. He would have to make sure that if they do check, to be sure to inform them he'll be paying the overstay fee, just in case they call immigration without him knowing.

getting the overstay cleared at san plu seems a little risky to me.

in case the men in brown lose their patience, then the immigration prison, and truly not thailand's best prison, is right in the back of the building.¨

you just wanna end up there if you got daily support from outside. and even then its nightmare.

I agree only confess at the airport. If you come clean anywhere else you run the risk that an example will be made of you. Don't forget that 2 years is a long time, the max fine is the same as a 90 day overstay. Also as soon as you leave Thailand I would apply for a new passport, the overstay stamp will show other countries that you've overstayed in Thailand and you could have problems entering other countries and this could include Singapore, if that happens you will get sent back to Thailand to await deportation to youre home country. Why not consider going back home and sorting a visa to return to Thailand there? You'll have more chance of getting one there. If you apply in I suspect the embassy will assume that once you've got the visa you will disappear again for 2 years.

, the overstay stamp will show other countries that you've overstayed in Thailand and you could have problems entering other countries and this could include Singapore,

That's right. I remember when applying for a Thai visa in Tokyo, a sign stated that anyone who had overstayed in Japan could not enter Thailand. Could be the same for Singapore/Thailand or Thailand going to Singapore.

thanks to everyone for their advice. i can produce evidence ive been cashadvancing off an overseas credit card for two years. should i maybe go to cambodia with a well spoken, eudcated thai friend i know, dressing conservatively etc. to pay the fine there, ask for forgivness, promise to get all the paperwork sorted? maybe i shoudl avoid singapore for my first trip out? still might get put away, then deported. shit happens.

i know ive pissed some people off, but bear in mind im wanting to come clean now, get things sorted. the "income" ive earned would be spare change for the types like p_brownstone who have paid "millions of Baht in Income and Corporate Taxes". ive been averaging about 10000 baht a month gross of actual income earned in thailand. my brit friend put me up in his house, hence no rent, power, phone to pay, just food, in return, i often worked for free when cashflow was low. 6000 of that averge monthly 10000 is tax exempt, according to:

http://www.thaivisa.com/thailand_income_tax.0.html

so the income tax ive been "avoiding" is piss all. of course, i pay tax whenever i buy anything - vat, although thats a stretch to say that, i know. our thai registered company IS paying corporate tax and vat now, so give us a fair go there. im not like some farang scumbags here, doing boiler room scams, stealing millions off decent folk, blowing it on fancy living, nightclubs, restaurants, bars, drugs, women and laughing at farang "suckers" who are doing things legit. so lets not get TOO offended and outraged, ok?

I like your way kiwibird - blaming others and you're the ununderstood angel.

following the visa rules is easier than attending kindergarten.

hope you find a way out - you seem to be in good spirits, wish you all the luck.

perhaps you want to hire a lawyer who sorts it out?

I'd rather be on the safe lane. but then again, you may talk thos officials into your way if you're gifted.

all the best! and keep us informed.

ill add this as well: p_brownstone also says it angers him about "most of these people contribute nothing to the Country via taxation". like i said, ive been cashadvancing from a card, bringing money from overseas, which i spend and pay vat on. so its not a case of contributing "nothing". certainly, its a small contribution, but at least pays for the share of public infrastructure ive used like the roads (i use buses, sawng taeo, rot duu and skytrain).

i AM very proud to say ive contributed nothing to thailands std stats.

kiwibird - I have tried to give you advice in a sympathetic way but even my patience is getting exhausted. Do you really think that you can go to Cambodia and get a visa to re-enter Thailand. If your well educated friend is called Taskin you might get away with it. I hope for your sake this post is a troll, if it is it’s in very bad taste. The only way that you are going to resolve your problems is to buy a ticket to your home country and sort re-entry from there. If you haven’t got the money for the ticket home seek help from your embassy and do it quickly.