Mashed Potatoes

SwaziBird

I noticed around Xmas time/ New year that a lot of people ( mainly Americans ) were lauding the merits of mashed potatoes.

Today I came across a little food stall that offered the following mashed potato dishes and I thought you might be interested.

Mashed Potato &

* Garlic Bread

* Ham & Cheese

* Vienna

* Bacon & Sausage

* Black Pepper

* Spinach

Prices: between 35 & 55 baht

I must hasten to say that I have not tried any of these dishes so can give you no opinion on them but, if you are interested to try them, then the name of this little eatery is "Milk Garden".

It is on the basement level of Central Shopping Centre ( Kad Suan Kaew ). Walk through to the back food hall ( The Food Factory ), up the small flight of stairs or the ramp to the left, pass the new(ish) Indian "Curry Pot" and the German Bistro and the "Milk Garden" stands to the right with a view out onto the lawned courtyard.

Cheers

Edited by SwaziBird

I love mashed potatoes, but I can walk across the street to the Art Cafe and get all I want.

My super-cheap buddy, the Palm Reader that they calll The Amazing Dennis, says that the cheapest good ones are at Rattana's Kitchen on Thapae road.

I could never understand this great love affair with mashed potatoes. :D

I know people who could make a meal of mashed potatoes and gravy! The fluffier the better for them, and would often order a plate as snack food. To me, it's always seemed as though I was eating wallpaper paste.

My closest friends back in the States will eat them with virtually every dinner, and go so far as to 'rice' the cooked potato, mix with milk and butter and whip with an electric beater until it has the consistancy of a pillow. The taste as well. I enjoy potatoes prepared in every other fashion, especially 'smashed,' (just crushed a bit with butter, salt and pepper,) but as soon as it gets beaten or whipped I gag on the stuff! Strange, but I guess that's what makes horse racing! :o

Try adding a little powdered-parmesan cheese, also a pinch of mixed-herbs, for mash-a-la-Ricardo !

also some chili powder, black pepper and extra salt :o

Hey, man, you forgot the grated onion............and the butter........then , if you add flaked fish...and fry.....you then have good old-fashioned rissoles.....................YUM!!

Edited by ronw

Try adding a little powdered-parmesan cheese, also a pinch of mixed-herbs, for mash-a-la-Ricardo !

also some chili powder, black pepper and extra salt :D

Hey, man, you forgot the grated onion............and the butter........then , if you add flaked fish...and fry.....you then have good old-fashioned rissoles.....................YUM!!

mashed taters without phrik nam pla? NO WAY! :o

grilled onion piled on top, then mixed in when ready to eat.

lots of butter in the mix. whip thoroughly with a fork for fluffiness.

must use flour-y Idaho-style potatoes, not the denser yellow ones (like "new" potatoes) that are more common here. - you can usually tell by the shape - they're longer than the yellowy ones.

garnish with steak.

IMO there's not much to beat mashed (not whipped) spuds. Cottage or shepherds pie; with sausage, liver and onion gravy; bubble and squeak; stuffed in their jackets; even as an accompaniment to a hot curry.

Look back at the "Miss Spuds" thread .....

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=25416&hl=

J

Great thread. :o Gotta go, severe case of the jayenram (aka Fanny Craddock) induced munchies!

JxP