Buying A New Truck

cshehan

Recently retired and will be moving to Pattaya in November. I rented a nice place and definitely need wheels. I want to shop smart but haven't heard all the options. I'd feel safer in a truck so you need a space cab. I like Izuzu and Toyota. If you buy new does it make a difference in price whether you buy in Pattaya or Bangkok? I heard there's a hassle with "red plates" and where it's registered, you have to go back to purchase origin to re-register? What's all that about? Also it was mentioned that "all" the dealers have the same base price, it's the added extras, like bed liner, tinted glass, automatic, stuff like that where you get your best deal. I want diesel vs gasoline, auto vs manual and just enough engine to haul 2 dogs, a Thai lady and myself. Would someone please describe the process when buying and what to expect when dealing for an auto. Thanks

Just bought a new Isuzu Highlander 4 cab in Buriran, cost me 720,000 Baht and an extra 60,000 for all extras bull bars, alpha truck top with air, I thought a bargain, as in the UK this truck would cost you £23,000, I spoke to my mate in Pattaya, and he told me this truck down there would be a million Baht, do they stick the price up for ferangs ? and the same for a hi-lux toyota, check it out.

toyota trucks in pattaya start from just over 500,000baht but then u got all the add ons and insurance etc, if u gonna live in pattaya then buy the truck in pattaya, ie warranty work and registration etc is much easier.

I'm going to be living out in the Suphan Buri area. Thanks for the good info, guys. :o

Bits of info on some prices from the boys at Inter car-Pat. also loads of advice re:insurance,rental etc.

New Car Price List of Thailand

Hilux Tig. V Vers. 3.0 Xtra Cap SGL 4WD M 602 000

Hilux Tiger Pre Runner 3.0 Xtra Cap SGL M 557 000

Hilux Tiger Xtra Cap 3.0 SGL A 544 000

Hilux Tiger Xtra Cap 3.0 SGL M 504 000

Hilux Tiger Xtra Cap 2.4 SGL M (power) 476 000

Hilux Tiger Xtra Cap 2.4 GL M (power) 449 000

Hilux Tiger Xtra Cap 3.0 SR5 4WD 590 000

Hilux Tiger Xtra Cap 3.0 GL 4WD 553 000

Hilux Tiger Xtra Cap 2.4 GL M 418 000

Hilux Tiger 2.4 Xtra Cap GLM 412 000

Hilux Tiger 3.0 Standard M (power) 407 000

Hilux Tiger 2.4 Standard M (power) 400 000

Hilux Tiger 2.4 Standard M 371 000

Big M King Cap GL 498 000

G- Series 3.0 Xtra Cap SR5 4WD 604 000

G- Series 3.0 Sportrider SR5 p. yellow 1 024 000

G- Series 3.0 Sportrider SR5 Limited 1 017 000

Sport Rider SR5 p. yellow 995 000

Sport Rider SR5 Limited 968 000

Sport Rider Pre Runner 842 000

Double Cap 563 000

Crown 3.0 A 3 700 000

Celica 1.8 E Swift 2 124 000

Celica 1.8 M 2 069 000

Land Cruiser Prado 2 574 000

Super Custom 1 050 000

Commuter Diesel 869 000

Hiace GL 767 000

http://www.inter-car.net/intercar/online23.html

http://www.inter-car.net/intercar/online01.html

and from the chaps at Expat motors... :o

Typical pick-up truck costs in Thailand are considered low compared to most western countries. A top of the range Toyota/Mitsubishi 4 door truck costs approximately £12,000 (890,000 Thai Baht) Please contact us for further details on importing/exporting pick-up trucks.

Toyota

Soluna Vios, 1.5L Top model, automatic, 659,000 Baht

Corolla Altis, 1.6E, Top model, automatic, 843,000 Baht

Corolla Altis, 1.8G, Top model, automatic, 995,000 Baht

Tiger, 3.0G, diesel, automatic, 4WD, 745,000 Baht

Sportcruiser, 3.0L, 4 door, automatic, 841,000 Baht

Sportrider, 3.0L, turbo, automatic, 1.22 million Baht

Camry, 2.0E, automatic, 1.189 million Baht

Camry, 2.4Q, Top model, automatic, 1.479 million Baht

Wish, 2.0L, Top model, automatic, 1.249 million Baht

http://www.geocities.com/kfarang/expat_motors

again lots of info-import-registration-rent etc.....

Drive Safely :D

My husband says all dealers do not charge the same base price. We live in Surat Thani and buying a truck in Chumpon can save at least 10,000 baht. If the dealer is in a slow economic area it is also possible to bargain a bit. He believes (but doesn't know for sure) that Bangkok would be the cheapest. The dealers have to pay to have the vehicle transported to the province so that is tacked onto the price, used to be 4000 baht could be more these days. He also said paying the registration tax isn't a problem, just pay at the PO. If you want to change the license plate to your own province (but it isn't really necessary) you need to take the vehicle to the Provincial Transportation Office, it costs but he doesn't know how much.

I bought an Isuzu last year, and went to three different dealers, 100 km's apart, to check prices. Each had the same pre-printed color catalogue (as did mitsubishi) with all the prices neatly printed. Each place offered this as the price, with added options, 4wd-2wd, auto-5 speed, turbo-nonturbo. About an 80,000 baht difference between 4wd and 2wd, for example. Something like, I think, 30,000 extra for the auto, which I have, and love it. The torgue converter really seems to be setup perfectly for max power transfer. Powers right through the gears with minimum lag. Leaves those clutch pushers in the dust :D

The trick seemed to be in knowing what options were giveaways, since they weren't offered until I specifically asked for free options...I ended up with free liner, big bumpers, luggage rack, window film, I baht of gold, insurance and registration for first year, 'transportation' fees waived, 2 liters of fuel

I would definately recommend Isuzu as a vehicle, and as a service organization (except they're ###### kii nio on the fuel). Pretty much everything 'just like home', except for much better service here, and a lot cheaper for Labour, which is the best deal here, really. Isuzu has more service centers in Thailand than any other car maker, too. I also feel confident in them to not scam me in any way, and I would feel confident (at least in the main Chiang Mai Service Center) even if I was a clueless chick, or a cluless farang. :o

I love driving it (4-door PU w/carryboy) and a bit more than a year later, zero problems- and the aircon Rocks!

161 kmph (verified by gps) top speed, in my case. Turbo pulls hills like a champ. :D

Bits of info on some prices from the boys at Inter car-Pat. also loads of advice re:insurance,rental etc.

New Car Price List of Thailand

Hilux Tig. V Vers. 3.0 Xtra Cap SGL 4WD M 602 000

Hilux Tiger Pre Runner 3.0 Xtra Cap SGL M 557 000

Hilux Tiger Xtra Cap 3.0 SGL A 544 000

Hilux Tiger Xtra Cap 3.0 SGL M 504 000

Hilux Tiger Xtra Cap 2.4 SGL M (power) 476 000

Hilux Tiger Xtra Cap 2.4 GL M (power) 449 000

Hilux Tiger Xtra Cap 3.0 SR5 4WD 590 000

Hilux Tiger Xtra Cap 3.0 GL 4WD 553 000

Hilux Tiger Xtra Cap 2.4 GL M 418 000

Hilux Tiger 2.4 Xtra Cap GLM 412 000

Hilux Tiger 3.0 Standard M (power) 407 000

Hilux Tiger 2.4 Standard M (power) 400 000

Hilux Tiger 2.4 Standard M 371 000

Big M King Cap GL 498 000

G- Series 3.0 Xtra Cap SR5 4WD 604 000

G- Series 3.0 Sportrider SR5 p. yellow 1 024 000

G- Series 3.0 Sportrider SR5 Limited 1 017 000

Sport Rider SR5 p. yellow 995 000

Sport Rider SR5 Limited 968 000

Sport Rider Pre Runner 842 000

Double Cap 563 000

Crown 3.0 A 3 700 000

Celica 1.8 E Swift 2 124 000

Celica 1.8 M 2 069 000

Land Cruiser Prado 2 574 000

Super Custom 1 050 000

Commuter Diesel 869 000

Hiace GL 767 000

http://www.inter-car.net/intercar/online23.html

http://www.inter-car.net/intercar/online01.html

and from the chaps at Expat motors... :o

Typical pick-up truck costs in Thailand are considered low compared to most western countries. A top of the range Toyota/Mitsubishi 4 door truck costs approximately £12,000 (890,000 Thai Baht) Please contact us for further details on importing/exporting pick-up trucks.

Toyota

Soluna Vios, 1.5L Top model, automatic, 659,000 Baht

Corolla Altis, 1.6E, Top model, automatic, 843,000 Baht

Corolla Altis, 1.8G, Top model, automatic, 995,000 Baht

Tiger, 3.0G, diesel, automatic, 4WD, 745,000 Baht

Sportcruiser, 3.0L, 4 door, automatic, 841,000 Baht

Sportrider, 3.0L, turbo, automatic, 1.22 million Baht

Camry, 2.0E, automatic, 1.189 million Baht

Camry, 2.4Q, Top model, automatic, 1.479 million Baht

Wish, 2.0L, Top model, automatic, 1.249 million Baht

http://www.geocities.com/kfarang/expat_motors

again lots of info-import-registration-rent etc.....

Drive Safely :D

Rinrada! You are a fount of good information! Thank You! :D

BTW, does anyone know what's the equivalent truck for the Tundra sold in LOS?

Love this forum, learned a lot about buying a truck. "Khap khun khrap mak" to all those who replied and shared helpful information. Hope to not get skinned alive when I walk in prepared. Was just at an auto lot with a friend buying his car and the sales persons were a bunch of lovely ladies. This too was new to me. They let us know right away that they were niether incentives nor "extras'"! ;^{D

I'm on my second Isuzu, I've had a 4wd rodeo cab, bought in phuket, and no I have a 4dr 4wd Izuzu pick up (cant remember what they are called). The first was bought in phuket, the second up here in Nakorn Sawan. ( which is only just up the road from Supan, depending on where you will live)

The dealers in my experiance may come down a litle bit on price (about 10,000) but usually is about the deal, what extras are included ( film for the window, insurance, ect, even the dealers in phuket were asking about the same price as up her, so basicaly buy where you are staying as its easier to register, but shop around for the best deal.

Never had any probs with the isuzu's and I do a lot of hard milage, the new one has over 60,000 km in one year, with the pickups having to be used for the farm as well ( i'v had 40 bails of hay on the back of the pickup no prob thats 1.2 ton).

I've test driven most last year when bought the new one and the only thing that was comparable was the toyota pick ups, but they were more expensive.

Cheers RC

I'm on my second Isuzu, I've had a 4wd rodeo cab, bought in phuket, and no I have a 4dr 4wd Izuzu pick up (cant remember what they are called). The first was bought in phuket, the second up here in Nakorn Sawan. ( which is only just up the road from Supan, depending on where you will live)

The dealers in my experiance may come down a litle bit on price (about 10,000) but usually is about the deal, what extras are included ( film for the window, insurance, ect, even the dealers in phuket were asking about the same price as up her, so basicaly buy where you are staying as its easier to register, but shop around for the best deal.

Never had any probs with the isuzu's and I do a lot of hard milage, the new one has over 60,000 km in one year, with the pickups having to be used for the farm as well ( i'v had 40 bails of hay on the back of the pickup no prob thats 1.2 ton).

I've test driven most last year when bought the new one and the only thing that was comparable was the toyota pick ups, but they were more expensive.

Cheers RC

RC - thanks for the good info. Are we saying that Isuzu has a better reputation than Toyota for the mid-size truck?

I've had a Tundra here in the states for years and it's been reliable as heck. Over 150k miles on it and I've only had change oil, struts etc. Ran over/into a few deer from time to time! :o

Thanks!

Check out the new toyota Vigo it cant be beat!! Ive tested all 2005 models and this is far superior than any other out there.

Fully loaded double cab 4x4 auto 861,000 baht

Checked this news from C.M Mail this week on the new VIGO.... looks good :D

Niyom launches new Toyota Hilux Vigo

The 7th generation of Hilux pick-ups

Micheal Vogt

Last Wednesday, the all-new Toyota Hilux ‘Vigo’ was introduced to the local media, organized by local dealer Niyom Phanich’s Senior Vice Managing Director Suthipong Chindasilp. In his outgoing and vivid presentation, Suthipong not only outlined the remarkable benefits of the new vehicle, but also explained the reasons why he foresees that his ambitious goals of selling at least 400 Toyota Hilux Vigos to Chiang Mai residents will be realised. “It’s simply a fantastic new car, as comfortable as it is economic, yet sporty at the same time,” Suthipong said. “I want locals to drive a safe, yet comfortable car but I know for many businesses you need to have a Pick up. The new Hilux generation combines the comfort of a limousine with the heavy duty engine and big loading area which is needed by most business men,” he said.

Niyom Phanich’s senior vice managing director, Suthipong Chindasilp and his new ‘baby’. (Picture: Michael Vogt)

The new pick-up is part of Toyota Motor’s IMV Project (Innovative International Multi-purpose Vehicles) in which models are designed for sale in more than 140 countries to meet the needs of today’s customers in their demands for high levels of durability and comfort.

To do this, Toyota has retained the tried and true cab-on-chassis design, front engined and rear wheel drive. Simple and durable. Suspension has been given much attention, and the buyer of a Vigo will find that the ride is much more like a sedan than a stiffly sprung pick-up.

Steering is also improved with rack and pinion being part of the raft of changes between the Vigo and its fore-runners from Toyota.

Powerwise the Vigo is a market leader, with both the 2.5 and 3 litre variants sporting intercoolers and larger turbo-chargers, and these new D4D commonrail diesels are also more powerful than their predecessors in the Hilux Tigers (and incidentally, more powerful than the rivals in this category). :o

In the interior, creature comforts are again much more like a sedan than a pick-up, and this new vehicle from Toyota will produce its own marketplace, giving the best of both worlds, both practical and comfortable. This is probably the best value ‘town and country’ family vehicle in sale locally. :D

http://www.chiangmai-mail.com/current/business.shtm

(with thanks..CM)

toyota trucks in pattaya start from just over 500,000baht but then u got all the add ons and insurance etc, if u gonna live in pattaya then buy the truck in pattaya, ie warranty work and registration etc is much easier.

I'm going to be living out in the Suphan Buri area. Thanks for the good info, guys. :o

Hi, my sister in law has recently bought a Toyota in Suphan Buri and struck a very good deal there. Sorry dont know the name of the dealer but they were extremely helpful and quick when I took it there for it's first service.

I bought an Isuzu last year, and went to three different dealers, 100 km's apart, to check prices. Each had the same pre-printed color catalogue (as did mitsubishi) with all the prices neatly printed. Each place offered this as the price, with added options, 4wd-2wd, auto-5 speed, turbo-nonturbo. About an 80,000 baht difference between 4wd and 2wd, for example. Something like, I think, 30,000 extra for the auto, which I have, and love it. The torgue converter really seems to be setup perfectly for max power transfer. Powers right through the gears with minimum lag. Leaves those clutch pushers in the dust :D

The trick seemed to be in knowing what options were giveaways, since they weren't offered until I specifically asked for free options...I ended up with free liner, big bumpers, luggage rack, window film, I baht of gold, insurance and registration for first year, 'transportation' fees waived, 2 liters of fuel

I would definately recommend Isuzu as a vehicle, and as a service organization (except they're ###### kii nio on the fuel). Pretty much everything 'just like home', except for much better service here, and a lot cheaper for Labour, which is the best deal here, really. Isuzu has more service centers in Thailand than any other car maker, too. I also feel confident in them to not scam me in any way, and I would feel confident (at least in the main Chiang Mai Service Center) even if I was a clueless chick, or a cluless farang. :o

I love driving it (4-door PU w/carryboy) and a bit more than a year later, zero problems- and the aircon Rocks!

161 kmph (verified by gps) top speed, in my case. Turbo pulls hills like a champ. :D

Ajarn,Whiac engine did you plump for?the 2.5 or 3.0 ltr,Also what was the total price of your vehicle,as i am looking at a carryboy for mine as well,

regards Gary.

I bought a Mazda Fighter 4/4 3 years ago and have been very happy with it no problems except a sticky window when it get too hot! I went to look at the Toyota trucks first at that place near the airport mall in CM. The saleman came out said 'here is the truck this is how much it is' Was a piss poor salesman didnt offer me anything free it was like he was saying i should be happy to buy a Toyota as they are the best! So i walked out and went to look at the Mazda. The women was great there told me the price and kept coming out with a better deal and more free stuff! Not pushy either,good saleswomen! She was the manger too so she didnt have to go ask anyone anything. Gave me a good trade in price on my wifes truck too. It really pays to shop aroung here. Have you seen the new Izusu Highlanders? They look like a really nice truck. Good luck!

I dont think there is much to go on between the Toyota, and the Izuzu in terms of quality, reputation and ability. The only factor for me buying the Izuzu was a better deal and it was a fair bit cheaper.

Of course now you have the chevy trucks as well but they are basicaly Izuzu's with a different badge.

The carry boys on the back are a good idea, if you dont really need the "pick up" part espesially in wet season. I've got reflective film on the windows of mine, I find I get stopped by the police far less as they cant see its a falang driving!!

Have'nt driven the new toyota though.

Cheers RC

We've bought 3 Isuzu D-Max pickups from our local dealer in Sisaket and never had any problems - except it does take some time for new plates to come thru and we drive around without plates for a few weeks. Not sure if the trucks would be cheaper from Bkk or elsewhere but prefer to have the local service backup should it ever be required.

The trucks are good solid workhorses and require little attention. I think the Toyota trucks may be better if you require a faster petrol engine (our trucks are all deisel).

The Isuzu salespeople are trying to convince me that I need a flashy SUV but I think I'll go for a 4WD pickup for my personal use.

My brother-in-law has stuck tinted film on the windows - I hate it and find it very offputting when driving.

Gary, I got the 3.0 Turbo, and if I remember correctly, the CarryBoy was about 24,000 extra

The total package was right about 780,000 baht, cash.

Good luck with the car buying. :o

Thanks Ajarn,Proabably be a ISUZU,But moght go for a Toyota,Been looking at the VIGO,and you can build your own one on their E web site lots of fun,and gives you the options as well,

http://www.e-toyotaclub.com/th/Home/top/home0110.asp

Only trouble with my Isuzu Highlander, is that anoying strip of film on the top of windscreen, us ferangs are a bit taller than Thais, took it back to the dealers and they took it off for me, and underneath, the top of the screen is tinted bluey-green anyhow, now I can see again, especially at night. :o

I was at lights in Buriram when a couple of crackers stopped next to the passangers door, they were on there motorcycle, Damm tinted windows could not get a good look, anyhow they started to wave and smile, so I gave them a big grin and blew them a kiss, next thing slap on my head from the wife in the back seat, they were waving at my two year old, who was in the passanger seat. :D

http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_.../severe/cxt.asp

I bought a new Cimaron truck about four months ago, a great truck, sold it to a friend of mine three weeks ago(yes I lost Baht) , liked the truck but no time to drive it and no secure place to park it at the moment. Had a change in retirement plans. I would like to have one of the International trucks shown on the link above though, when this truck becomes available in the LOS w/o 100% tax I will jump on one of these. In the meantime(while waiting for the International)if I buy another truck down the road in LOS I will consider another General Motors Cimarron or the new Toyota Vigo.

Good luck in your selection.

Mazda 4 door Strada 4by 4 2 litre turbo is a magic car.

The Strada is a MITSUBISHI pick-up truck! ???

oh, it must of been from the hangover - yes your right mate. Not sure what I was thinking :o Mitsubishi. A great motor.

I absolutely agree!

Mazda 4 door Strada 4by 4 2 litre turbo is a magic car.

The Strada is a MITSUBISHI pick-up truck! ???

oh, it must of been from the hangover - yes your right mate. Not sure what I was thinking :o Mitsubishi. A great motor.

I absolutely agree!

And the seats sit good. Nowadays you don't have really bad cars anymore (OK, the Ford and this ridiculeous Indonesian thing might be the exceptions). I wished I could say the same about the drivers. They start from stretch again and agian.