Favourite Supermarket

DJ Pat

Favourite supermarket  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Personally I prefer Foodland for their choice and clientele, as you don't get big families standing around debating whether to save 3 baht on a bag of rice.

Villa Supermarket are pretty upmarket too and a tad pricey but I can browse the News Of The World unchallenged.

Tesco Lotus have a checkout problem in the fact that they never open enough, but their selection is good enough to keep me pushing the trolley about if I have too much time on my hands.

Big C are the bog standard Thai supermarket, I don't remember them not having something I've wanted and their ready meals are good.

Jusco's stores look like they had a heyday about ten years ago, but they have a tasty bakery section which keeps me coming back.

Makro...Never venture that far out of town.

Tops are great and have everything you'd want from a higher-end store.

Carrefour...see above

Leader Price ...never been.

FoodLion ....great liquor section.

Popped in to the Sukumvit branch of Leader Price one night.

It's a store that sells mostly no frills type items which accounts for the very basic selection, but clean, tidy and with a predominantly white color scheme. I was the only customer in the entire store. Most people would find shopping there on a regular basis rather dull but the prices were cheap enough.

Are Foodland and Foodlion US based supermarket companies?? We have the same named stores here in the US.

No. Nor is Food Lion in the US a US Company.

Food Lion I believe is Belgium owned and has folded here in Thailand.

Foodland, I believe, is a Thai company and dates back many decades. It is not a large operation but has always had a very good reputation among expats and has survived when most others have failed (only Villa dates back to the same time period AFAIK). They also run some of the best 'truck stop' type resturants in their supermarkets this side of the Pacific.