An Ugly Australian In Thailand?

asiancup2007

Hanson came to the fore at the end of the last Labor government in Australia. She spoke for a significant minority of people who felt that the pendulum had swung too far towards the left-liberal side on cultural issues. A lot of people appreciated her guts and her honesty, as well as the fact that she was obviously the product of lower socio-economic upbringing, no tertiary education, etc.

And Australia, particularly in some of the big cities, was going through an important demographic change, with a big increase in Asian immigration.

It used to be the Irish, then after the Second War, it was the Italians, Greeks, and other "reffos", then it was the Lebanese, finally it was the Asians. Each successive wave of immigration caused ripples on the surface of what used to be a fairly homogenous society.

Some Australians still feel that there is too much immigration, but the level of ignorant prejudice is subsiding, as it always does in any civilised society.

I have lived for long periods in several places, including Thailand and Hong Kong, and there is no doubt that Australia is a very civilised country, with a population which is mostly caring and welcoming - for all its faults and failings, Aussies do have a conscience, do care for the underdog, and most will help their neighbour when they need help.

A friend of mine whom I met in Hong Kong (Chinese, but had Canadian residency) came to Australia for a look around, was so impressed at the levels of generosity and hospitality that she and her son experienced, that they decided to emigrate here rather than to Canada, even though it meant considerable paperwork, and a long delay.

Thats nice to her, good for her, but I have heard totally opposite quite a fe times.

Come on, any educated person knew Hanson was a tool, they way she conducted her self was totally wrong, the good point she did make she ruined with her going way to far in what she thought. Although I think its entertaining watching her talk about immigration, she always gets fired up and she always talks nonesence

Pauline Hanson stated repeatedly that she was not a racist - but that statement sits somewhat oddly against her 1996 One Nation launch in Ipswich when she urged Australians to guard against the possibility that they one day might all be eating rice. Not forgetting her maiden speech that year when she called for a radical review of immigration policy and abolition of multiculturalism because Australians were “in danger of being swamped by Asians”.

She stated the obvious: We are One Nation, One People. We should ALL be treated equally. Unfortunately, she got sidetracked later on.

Peter

The way I see it is that the lady was upset that she had to share a ride with the Aussie guy and is bagging him with all her might. It seems like this guy was trying to be friendly with the person HE was sharing the ride with....how many of us have said similar when sitting alongside a stranger, ie: in an Aircraft etc:

Instead of replying in a friendly fashion, she was sarcastic by saying what she did. I think all this talk over Pauline Hanson doesn't really have anything to do with the subject.

she definetly came off as a bit of a high maintence princess in this article. And I am not a Pauline Hanson fan.

People like her fail to realise that while Hanson was a racist many of her supporters weren't. They were simply scared of the economic realities of a new millenium, and hoped that someone would take them back to that golden age. In that sense, Hanson was a false prophet.

My grandmother liked Hanson for the most bizzare of reasons - the fact that she wore 'nice dresses'. Not that she agreeded with any of her views, but you can't say hanson didn't resonate with certain (and diverse) sections of the Australian public.

Your grandmother isn't Thai is she? That is the same reasoning I heard for selecting a politician to vote for here. :o Maybe that could explain the current fiasco of a government.

no this is my Irish-Australian grandmother who I was talking about, who has now passed on.

My Thai grandmother passed on many a year ago, but if she voted anything, it would have been a Democrat, given she was a child of the aristocracy (unfortunately, none of the old money flowerd my way, given she decided to marry a poor Shanghai born peasant).