To Exercise Or Not

BEENTHEREDONETHAT

I have osteoarthritis of the spine. When I lift weights etc. it is very painful, especially at night and difficult to sleep for over two or three hours at a time.

I know that losing weight (about 10 kilo) would help, but it is very difficult losing weight by diet alone. Walking only causes minor discomfort so I do that.

My back is starting to get a hump and look like a old man's, which bugs me. So I need weight bearing and stretching exercise to control that and I know weight bearing exercise is generally good for you.

My question is "Does weight bearing exercise speed up the degeneration cartlidge and joints and esentially make the condition worse? Or does it tend to retard the degeneration?"

I have osteoarthritis of the spine. When I lift weights etc. it is very painful, especially at night and difficult to sleep for over two or three hours at a time.

I know that losing weight (about 10 kilo) would help, but it is very difficult losing weight by diet alone. Walking only causes minor discomfort so I do that.

My back is starting to get a hump and look like a old man's, which bugs me. So I need weight bearing and stretching exercise to control that and I know weight bearing exercise is generally good for you.

My question is "Does weight bearing exercise speed up the degeneration cartlidge and joints and esentially make the condition worse? Or does it tend to retard the degeneration?"

It is not difficult to lose weight by diet alone. I will send you a doctor approved diet sheet if you ask me to. I used it to lose 7 kg and still use it from time to time to lose those pesky 2 - 3 kg that tend to creep back.

I don't know enough about excercise and osteoarthritis. Walking is supposed to be good so I do that. I did sitting leg exercises for a few days and b*****ed up my knees for a while.

Wait for Sheryls answer, but....

I would imagine that non impact exercise can only be good.

You will be building muscle (hopefully with the right exercise) around the afflicted area which will support the joints.)

Could it be that the pain you are feeling at night is muscle pain , if so this will improve the more you exercise.

Sorry to disagree Tammi but diet alone is a very difficult way to lose weight.

Just a thought but maybe swimming would be a good way to build overall strength fitness before leading to weights.

Cheers

Wait for Sheryl's answer, but....

I would imagine that non impact exercise can only be good.

You will be building muscle (hopefully with the right exercise) around the afflicted area which will support the joints.)

Could it be that the pain you are feeling at night is muscle pain , if so this will improve the more you exercise.

Sorry to disagree Tammi but diet alone is a very difficult way to lose weight.

Just a thought but maybe swimming would be a good way to build overall strength fitness before leading to weights.

Cheers

Definitely yes,

Low and non-impact exercise. If you have access to a swimming pool that will be the easiest on your joints. It would be ideal if you can find a water aerobics course. For weight loss aerobic activity combined with dietary changes will give you the best results. As for weakening your joints it depends on whether your "hump" in your back is from deformity of the spine. The other big factor is age. Unless you are an elite athlete, osteoarthritis tends to rear it's ugly head in middle age 50+ y/o.

2 questions: Age? Have you been evaluated by a orthopaedist?

I have kyphosis myself (hump in the back) and in my case it is caused my deformity of the spine. You should get the advice of a trusted physician to find out what is going on with your back.

Cheers

GunnyD

To answer the questions.

Yes had it diagnosed as osteoarthritis by my Dr. in Australia about 5 years ago. He pointed out the deteriation in my spine in the x-rays.

My age is 74 and I am in reasonable good shape but have started losing muscle mass from lack of exercise. Enjoyed exercising until the last couple of years. While it dosen't cause a lot of pain when I do it, it is painfull enough to keep me from sleeping over a couple of hours at a time. The pain comes a few hours after the exercise, how much and how long it last varies with how hard I exercise and how much strain I put on the back. I don't believe the back pain is muscular. Mostly in the upper and lower back. Heat does help.

I do try to walk a few time a week for 1 to 1-1/2 hours. This does not give me any problems.

Standing around in the shpping mall gets to my back, if I keep moving it is not to bad.

Tammi if you have a good diet plan I would appreciate seeing it.

Thanks to all of you for the comments. We do have access to a pool and I will give it a try, I'm a lousy swimmer.

walking is the best exercise, do it 1-1.5h a day - walk on the beach/sand or wear soft shoes when on the cement. Walking on the hard surface impacts the spine and all other joints.

swimming, exercising in the swimming pool or in the sea, joga or pilates will strenthen your muscles - don't do any weights.

I think the answer here is a combination of both a good healthy diet and low impact excersise. You can definately lose weight on a calorie controlled diet, there is no doubt about it. Combine that with a low impact excersises, maybe a hand grinder machine (where you sit on the stationary position and the pedals are located in front of your torso where you grind the pedals with your arms), or a lying seated stationary bike that will look after both your knees and back may be appropriate for your condition. Or how about calasthenics or excersising in a pool with virtually no weight bearing on your lower body.

There are always answers for you and i wish you luck with finding whats right for you.

Edited by soi lurker