Paypal And Visa Electron Card Obtained In 2008

Hi there,

I just opened a savings account with Bank of Ayudhya.

I did get a visa electron.

Unfortunately the expiration date is 2028. It's one year beyond the last year accepted by paypal registry form. :D

I tried to contact Paypal and they tell there must be something wrong with my bank (stupid paypal :o ).

I'm not in a mood for battling with my local bank branch to explain my problem.

So i'm thinking about opening a new account with a visa electron with an other bank.

Had anyone opened a savings account in January or February of this year?

If the expiration year of your visa electron is below 2027 could tellme the name of the bank?

(easier to open an other account)

Hope someone can help. :D

Paypal has a truly terrible reputation. You should consider that long and hard before dealing with them.

actualy i'm using since a long and i'm satisfied so far.

Just this damned Thai card with a 2028 expiration year that i can't register. :o

Bangkok Bank's Be1st visa electron card.

10 years valid from date of issue, well within most credit card payment gateways limit.

No problem with Paypal, only slight difficulty was getting the expanded use code for verification with Paypal. You need to call Bualuang (1333 I think), explain what you need, they ask you to push your 16 digit card number on the phone's keyboard, followed by your PIN, and then they'll tell you all you need!

You can also register your Be1st card with verified by visa, after which you can make pretty much any on-line payment reasonably secure.

However, the Be1st card being an uninsured debit card, I strongly advise you to open a seperate account with limited funds inside, just for your on-line dealings!

Kasikorn ... 5 years from time of issue.

Naka.

Thankyou for your answer Naka! :D

May i ask you if their visa electron card (or web card) really works with paypal? :o

Sorry, no business anymore, other than investments ... so don't know.

Naka.

Great thanks for your answers! :o

You are really helpful. :D

I tried to open an account with kasikorn today but the manager of the branch wanted a work permit.

I'll try Bangkok Bank in sukhumvit near soi 8 on monday then (read in a post that they are farang-friendly over there).

Thanks again to you all!

Yes it does. I use it ( web card from Kasi )

However, you pay way over the odds when using Paypal for currency conversions. Its almost 10 %.

I now use Moneybookers. Its much cheaper.

Im also suffering with Paypals extortianate conversion rate.

Just withdrawn USD$3,360 from my Paypal account and I got a pathetic 100,000 baht. The same conversion with Bangkok Bank account would have given me 111,000 baht ! A nice 10% straight into Paypal's pocket !! :o

Stevemiddle, whats Moneybookers like for currency conversion ? I imagine they still hit you ?.....

You can also register your Be1st card with verified by visa, after which you can make pretty much any on-line payment reasonably secure.

However, the Be1st card being an uninsured debit card, I strongly advise you to open a seperate account with limited funds inside, just for your on-line dealings!

Can you run me through that as I could not, it not having a CVV (or is it CCV) number. I could with my Kasikorn web card though which does have that facility. For the same reason I cannot use the Bangkok Bank card online.

Cheers

Can you run me through that as I could not, it not having a CVV (or is it CCV) number. I could with my Kasikorn web card though which does have that facility. For the same reason I cannot use the Bangkok Bank card online.

Cheers

On the newest batch of Be1st cards is a cvv number on the back, same location as with a real credit card.

On the older cards (I have the yellow commemorative card, almost 2 years old), and use the last 3 digits of the first 4 digit group of the card numbers as cvv.

Always works!

More info here:

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Pe...ure/default.htm

Not exactly easy, you have to dial 1333 and go through the correct motions...

Great thanks for your answers! :o

You are really helpful. :D

I tried to open an account with kasikorn today but the manager of the branch wanted a work permit.

I'll try Bangkok Bank in sukhumvit near soi 8 on monday then (read in a post that they are farang-friendly over there).

Thanks again to you all!

Just try different branches ... they dont all sing from the same songbook :D tip ... dress businesslike.

Naka.

I don't understand the comments about the bad exchange rate. I just set up a PayPal account and the currency was USD. My understanding is that when you withdraw, you withdraw a certain USD amount and the exchange rate is a matter between you and your Thai bank.

Is that not the case?

I don't understand the comments about the bad exchange rate. I just set up a PayPal account and the currency was USD. My understanding is that when you withdraw, you withdraw a certain USD amount and the exchange rate is a matter between you and your Thai bank.

Is that not the case?

Nope- paypal makes the exchange, then deposits local currency to your account. And everyone is right: the rates suck.

Hi there,

I just opened a savings account with Bank of Ayudhya.

I did get a visa electron.

Unfortunately the expiration date is 2028. It's one year beyond the last year accepted by paypal registry form. :D

I tried to contact Paypal and they tell there must be something wrong with my bank (stupid paypal :o ).

I'm not in a mood for battling with my local bank branch to explain my problem.

So i'm thinking about opening a new account with a visa electron with an other bank.

Had anyone opened a savings account in January or February of this year?

If the expiration year of your visa electron is below 2027 could tellme the name of the bank?

(easier to open an other account)

Hope someone can help. :D

man, I know what you go through wth paypal. It took me 8 months to get verifed due to their stupid rules that do not apply outside of the USA.

In short, The Bangkok Bank has a card call be 1st, I obtained one last week (it takes 1 week after you apply). It has changed my life in how I deal online now - Im a happy guy!

my card is valid til 2018 and yes I got one last week, so it should be the same for you.

Bangkok Bank = just make sure you have a non imm b visa and you should be ok.

good luck! :D

edit due to Montys post - did not see it when I posted. (-:

BTW, I got mine at The Emporium branch. If you go about 12 midday its quiet and quick.

The card has the 3 digit code on the back also. I have used it on paypal, argos, godaddy etc, it all works!

when you call the 1333 line, you are asked if you want Thai or English, press 2 and then you will hear another automated voice that reads "for this press* etc.. It is very hard to hear the one your after as it is a ":different voice" to the rest, but thats the one you want.. It took me 9 calls to find the right location to get my code.

after that, go to their site (dont do it at night as it seems to crash all the time) and then go through the reg process and get your verify number for VISA..

pain in the butt at first, but opens up all the cyber doors.

again, good luck.

Edited by advice

Is that not the case?

Bino is right, because Paypal are such nice people they do the conversion for you, and steal 10% in the process ! Paypal are always going on about scams and how much "safer" they are than any other method of payment, but at the end of the day they are the biggest scammers of them all !

This may be a little off topic but people should be made aware of this, I heard the warnings but I didnt take them serious enough. If you are selling on ebay make sure that your profit margin is at least another 10% to cover these greedy b#stards ! Unfortunately if your buying or selling on ebay you have no choice but to use Paypal however, if the Paypal account is for anything other than eBay purposes avoid them like the plague !!

I find the Thai banks here excellent for transferring money, you can send to someone in Thailand without them even needing a bank account, Bangkok Bank are one of them. Basically its the same as Western Union but without the high commissions.

Think VERY carefully before you use Paypal, and take note of the warnings !!

Hi.

Bee thru there JUST THE RECENT WEEKS. PayPal sucks monkey balls!! First, i have a UOB account and Visa Electron card - PayPal does not take that one as it is "not open for online use" or whatever.

Then added my Bangkok Bank (Be 1st) Visa Electron and oh wonder - it works. BUT. As someone already mentioned, i needed the "expanded use number" and Bangkok Bangkok won't give you a statement for card usage, no matter what you do. I had an e-mail discussion with PayPal, i went so far sending them my freakin' account statement where their 65-Baht charge showed up clearly - narda, without that stupid 4-digit number they wouldn't remove my pathetic 100 Dollar limit.

After several phone calls to Bangkok Bank (they keep you on hold FOR EVER during the day, but in deep night you get thru - their hotline is open 24/7 and speaks indeed perfect English) i finally got that number and was able to use PayPal - or so i thought.

I made a payment for motorbike parts to Singapore - went without a hitch. That was to test, i sent only haltf the required amount to see if it works or if it gets lost (the receiving acount wasn't the seller of the parts but a friend of his). However he got the money so i went to send the rest -

NARDA!!!

PayPal would not let me do it. E-Mail discussion again - apparently if you dare sending money to the same person TWICE their system thinks there is fraud involved and refuses to let you make the payment.

They went so far suggesting i use a non-PayPal way to pay, because they can't change their system!!

Strange business model really.

Now i am waiting for that guy to find another friend with a PayPal account so i can send him the rest of the cash. So in short - PayPal sucks big time, also won't let you add funds from a Thai bank (any Thai bank that is, apparently that works only for U.S. banks even tough their site mentions somewhere that such transactions "from non-U.S. banks are without fees" - sure as no such transactions are possible).......

With best regards.....

your Thanh

Hi.

Bee thru there JUST THE RECENT WEEKS. PayPal sucks monkey balls!! First, i have a UOB account and Visa Electron card - PayPal does not take that one as it is "not open for online use" or whatever.

Then added my Bangkok Bank (Be 1st) Visa Electron and oh wonder - it works. BUT. As someone already mentioned, i needed the "expanded use number" and Bangkok Bangkok won't give you a statement for card usage, no matter what you do. I had an e-mail discussion with PayPal, i went so far sending them my freakin' account statement where their 65-Baht charge showed up clearly - narda, without that stupid 4-digit number they wouldn't remove my pathetic 100 Dollar limit.

After several phone calls to Bangkok Bank (they keep you on hold FOR EVER during the day, but in deep night you get thru - their hotline is open 24/7 and speaks indeed perfect English) i finally got that number and was able to use PayPal - or so i thought.

I made a payment for motorbike parts to Singapore - went without a hitch. That was to test, i sent only haltf the required amount to see if it works or if it gets lost (the receiving acount wasn't the seller of the parts but a friend of his). However he got the money so i went to send the rest -

NARDA!!!

PayPal would not let me do it. E-Mail discussion again - apparently if you dare sending money to the same person TWICE their system thinks there is fraud involved and refuses to let you make the payment.

They went so far suggesting i use a non-PayPal way to pay, because they can't change their system!!

Strange business model really.

Now i am waiting for that guy to find another friend with a PayPal account so i can send him the rest of the cash. So in short - PayPal sucks big time, also won't let you add funds from a Thai bank (any Thai bank that is, apparently that works only for U.S. banks even tough their site mentions somewhere that such transactions "from non-U.S. banks are without fees" - sure as no such transactions are possible).......

With best regards.....

your Thanh

Thanks for the heads up on that one Thanh-BKK, thats a new one for me.

I sent 2 payments to myself today (another Paypal account) and luckily both Payments went through fine, it could have something to do with the payments both being different currencies. But still, I will continue to be on my guard for that one.

One thing I can tell you about Paypal is this, dont ever ask them for advice if it has anything to do with saving money or getting round there extortionate fees, they will completely ignore you as its not in there interest to help you save money ! You need to find out yourself.

Does anyone know of any "unofficial" forums where you can get advice on Paypal, I tried Paypalsucks.com but its a bit over the top, seems to be geared towards completely stopping people from using them and an advertising platform for competitors.

If anyone knows one let me know. And lets keep those useful tips coming in !

Hello :o

Well i have tried the "different currency" thing too - meanwhile i tried U.S. Dollars, Singapore Dollars and Euros. Narda, each time their system refuses with the same message "Sorry, your payment can not be funded with a credit card this time, please try again later".

I actually went to Bangkok Bank just yesterday morning to confirm that there is no problem with my card...... there's none, Bangkok Bank is actually happy that people use their cards with PayPal. And to get statements you must sign up for "iBanking" which i did, it's apparently free to use but you need to sign a lot of papers and bring your card, passbook and passport along when you apply for it, plus it will take about a week to become active (they will send the user name by POST and the password by E-MAIL), after you have it activated you can print your detailed statements online. In the passbook any PayPal charge only shows as "purchase" without any details.

I think i have an idea to get my stuff sorted - i will open a second PayPal account using a different e-mail address and transfer money to there, then back to my first one (to create a "PayPal balance") and then use that to pay for the parts (the second shipment already arrived yesterday and i haven't paid for it yet!).

Maybe PayPal refuses my payment because the guy in Singapore is actually Malay and has an islamic name (i.e. "potential terrorist" and my payment "potential terrorist funding"..??) These days you never know what suspicious "security" measures they apply.... but for "Joe User" it sucks big time.

With kind regards.....

your Thanh

wait tell pay pal puts a hold on your money for no reason!!! they have done this to millions allready.. you could have 5K USDin Pay Pal and for no reason they freeze it, or limit our account for 6 months or forever. NOT just keeping some of the funds but all of it...avoid Pay Pal, at all cost, they are being sued as we speak for this very reason checkout nopaypal.com

Maybe PayPal refuses my payment because the guy in Singapore is actually Malay and has an islamic name (i.e. "potential terrorist" and my payment "potential terrorist funding"..??) These days you never know what suspicious "security" measures they apply.... but for "Joe User" it sucks big time.

Nice one Thanh-BKK ! Knowing Paypal it wouldnt surprise me ! Just like the reason why Paypal will not let you withdraw money into a Malaysian bank account, I wonder why ?... :o

As for accounts being frozen this is common but can be avoided. Firstly NEVER leave money in your Paypal account, its not yours until its in your own bank account, until you do it belongs to Paypal.

Secondly if you have a dispute with someone such as a buyer NEVER escalate or challenge the claim and just give them the money back, even if all the evidence is overwhelmingly in your favor. You may win the claim but you still may have your account frozen for several months while in the process.

genobkk, nopaypal.com is just another domain name for paypalsucks.com, again there is no useful information on there and is only geared towards getting people to completely stop using them. Notice the add on there for "The # 1 Paypal alternative", this does not do anything for the sites credibility and proves that its just a marketing ploy to get people to sign up for another merchant company.

What I don't understand is why Thai banks issue debit and credit cards with expiration dates that are so far into the future. Back home, debit cards are only good for a two or three years max...the Bank of Ayudya card doesn't even have a member name on it...only a number.

Can someone answer why these expiration dates are so long into the future as opposed to just a couple of years? I was actually surprised when I got mine and saw the expiration date on it.

Yes it does. I use it ( web card from Kasi )

However, you pay way over the odds when using Paypal for currency conversions. Its almost 10 %.

I now use Moneybookers. Its much cheaper.

Im also suffering with Paypals extortianate conversion rate.

Just withdrawn USD$3,360 from my Paypal account and I got a pathetic 100,000 baht. The same conversion with Bangkok Bank account would have given me 111,000 baht ! A nice 10% straight into Paypal's pocket !! :o

Stevemiddle, whats Moneybookers like for currency conversion ? I imagine they still hit you ?.....

Sorry for late reply. Missed the post. In any event the info I have now is more current as I used moneybookers on Monday.

Transferred 450 UK pounds to my account which is in Thai baht. Received 27,540 baht so that equates to approx 61 baht to the UK pound.

That makes the conversion cost around 3 - 3.5 %. Far better than Paypals 10 %.

AND Moneybookers IS accepted on Ebay. They even give you a link to the HTML to paste onto your ad for instant payment via the LOGO

Some update here...

I did actually (naive as i am...) send an e-mail to PayPal asking about the possibility to have TWO accounts with ONE credit/debit card. While waiting for an answer i had this idea - how about i send a payment to myself? Would that create a PayPal balance which i can use to pay my motorbike parts?

So i tried - and got the exact same error message!!

Ok so now i tried to send money to a different account - one i had previously RECEIVED money from (again Singapore) and which i could tell the owner that that was a test and he'd send the money back to me, same currency so no conversion loss, just the small PayPal fee.

So i did.

And AGAIN the very same error!! So effectively i was not able to make ANY payments using my card.

After finding that out i wrote yet-another-e-mail to Paypal stating the facts - and doing something that seems to universally work in Asia: "Dear PayPal. I figured out that i can not use my account at all to make payments. You advertise all over the net for your "safe and convenient way to pay", so either you you now stick to your promise and make my dam_n account work or i'll contact my lawyer. Best regards, Thanh".

Not an hour later (and without an e-mail reply - usually they reply within half an hour) it WAS WORKING and i could make my payment!

Upon which i sent them another e-mail politely thanking them for fixing it and "hope that for the future this problem will not re-occur and i will be one of many happy PayPal users".

To which i received a similarly polite reply stating that "your account seems to be in working order, we see you made a payment of 100 Singapore Dollars, if we can be of further assistance please contact us again".

So - happy ending after all... but i too will be looking into moneybookers. Do they (haven't looked at them AT ALL yet) require the receiver of a payment to have a moneybookers account? Does it work with a debit card, with a Thai bank account, etc? I would appreciate some information on that subject, if it's not considered to be too far off-topic.

As to the "card with the far-away expiry date" i would be happy with one such... i HATE cards that expire, i wonder who invented that nonsense. My UOB card expired two years ago and even tough they sent me the new card by post i had to go to the issuing branch to receive the new PIN, and had to bring my passport. Since that was a different passport than the one i used five years earlier to open the account (those dam_n things fill quickly if you're a visa runner!) i could spend a couple of hours in the bank making phone calls with head offices and whatnot to get my stupid PIN and to prevent going home to take my passbook (which was initially NOT required) as that would have meant another two hours in traffic. I wish they would give me a card that would never expire at all. I got one now that's good for 5 years again, and the one from Bangkok Bank was 15 years from the start.

With best regards......

Thanh

I had ordered some parts from India through Paypal after 7 weeks no delivery I contacted Paypal and told them I had not received anything on my order and the company was not responding to my emails. Paypal basicly said it wasn't there problem, to work it out with the vendor. How you do that when he would not reswpond to emails I don't know. So I contacted my Visa card bank that I had paid Paypak with. They said it could take up to 60 but they would get right on it.

So if you have a non-delivery problem with Paypal it is your problem not theirs. PAYPAL SUCKS. :o

Does anyone know of a bank in thailand where I can openan account & apply for a card that works on Paypal where I don't have to provide a work permit ?

Yeah, Bangkok Bank :o I didn't have a work permit when i opened my account, just 1,000 Baht for initial funding of the account. Got the Visa Electron card right away too. Make sure when you open an account to apply for "iBanking" right with it - you need that to see and print statements for your usage of the card, and THAT you need to obtain the "expanded use number" in order to "verify" your PayPal account.

To open your account go to a MAJOR branch of Bangkok Bank as the smaller branches tend to ask for a work permit. Bring your passport too. When i got my account i only had a 30-day entry stamp from Cambodia :D

Best regards.....

Thanh

I had ordered some parts from India through Paypal after 7 weeks no delivery I contacted Paypal and told them I had not received anything on my order and the company was not responding to my emails. Paypal basicly said it wasn't there problem, to work it out with the vendor. How you do that when he would not reswpond to emails I don't know. So I contacted my Visa card bank that I had paid Paypak with. They said it could take up to 60 but they would get right on it.

So if you have a non-delivery problem with Paypal it is your problem not theirs. PAYPAL SUCKS. :o

Hi :D

Well how did you "order parts thru PayPal"..? PayPal does not sell or deliver any parts.... you probably ordered them thru E-Bay which, altough same parent, is a different company entirely. If you have a problem with a seller on E-Bay you need to get in touch with E-Bay which, at the least, will blacklist that seller. PayPal only does financial transactions.

Best regards....

Thanh