Electronic Tickets

deon

As the title says its about electronic tickets, i have just booked a flight with eva air fr march the 6 .And i have been given or not given more to the point electronic tickets. This may sound abit daft, but all the other times i have flown. It has been with paper tickets.

So what i am really asking is, when you are handing your tickets in , or you go through the visa part .what happens ,as there is no tickets.

Sorry if this sounds abit of a daft question ,just this is all new to me . All they have told me is make sure you take all the right documents with you ,Which i will .So if anyone else has had one of these which i guess loads have if you could jut talk me through what goes on i would be the most grateful.

Edited by deon

Current concept is: print your eticket & present that with the passport to get your boarding pass. Keep the eticket to do the same on your return flight. One advantage with the eticket is that you can re-print it if you lose it - as long as you have access to the file & a printer.

Part of the next generation of tickets will be SMS styled.

One trip back from BKK to Australia, I lost my eTickets. I knew I was flying Singapore Airlines. All I did was present my passport at the Check-In counter at BKK and was given boarding passes for both sectors (BKK-SIN and SIN-BNE) on the spot.

Back in the bad old days, losing paper airline tickets was a major drama.

So easy these days.

Peter

e-ticket countdown begins: IATA

Monday, February 25, 2008

Friday saw start of the home stretch of e-ticket compliance by airlines with the International Air Transport Association announcing 100 days to go until total compliance.

“In 100 days the paper ticket gets put in a museum. On June 1, 2008 we will achieve 100% electronic ticketing,” said Giovanni Bisignani, IATA’s Director General and CEO, on Friday.

In June 2004, IATA launched its Simplifying the Business initiative, with five key projects, of which the e-ticket was one, that was aimed at making the travel industry more efficient.

“E-ticketing is the flagship project of Simplifying the Business. While a paper ticket costs US$10 to process, e-ticketing reduces that cost to US$1,” said Mr Bisignani.

“The industry will save over US$3 billion each year by offering the passenger a better service. There is no better win-win proposition.”

When the project began in 2004, e-tickets were used in roughly 18% of the market globally, now the figure is over 93%.

“It is an incredible industry success story. When we began over 28 million paper tickets were issued each month. We have reduced that number to less than 3 million,” he says.

I don't recall them ever checking it. You just tell them where you're going and hand over your passport.

100% agree, I have never ever been asked to produce my E,ticket , passport and destination will suffice, thats my experience. Although I always have a E'ticket with me.

technically speaking, e-tickets are just needed for those airports which does not allow non departing passengers or relatives to enter the check in area , especially if the airport has limited space , otherwise it will be a mess then.But usually, you can just count those kind of airport nowadays.Now at the check in counter,just mention your destination (this is applicable if ur in "ALL flights check in" counter)otherwise , if its a designated flight counter, just hand over your passport and dont talk.On the flight, they have the manifest of all passengers booked in that flight, the system will just check it.

You should always have a printout of the E-ticket as it may be required by immigration and customs.

The airline has this information on the database of their computer system, so they only need to see your passport.

Edited by david96

e-ticket countdown begins: IATA

Monday, February 25, 2008

Friday saw start of the home stretch of e-ticket compliance by airlines with the International Air Transport Association announcing 100 days to go until total compliance.

“In 100 days the paper ticket gets put in a museum. On June 1, 2008 we will achieve 100% electronic ticketing,” said Giovanni Bisignani, IATA’s Director General and CEO, on Friday.

In June 2004, IATA launched its Simplifying the Business initiative, with five key projects, of which the e-ticket was one, that was aimed at making the travel industry more efficient.

“E-ticketing is the flagship project of Simplifying the Business. While a paper ticket costs US$10 to process, e-ticketing reduces that cost to US$1,” said Mr Bisignani.

“The industry will save over US$3 billion each year by offering the passenger a better service. There is no better win-win proposition.”

When the project began in 2004, e-tickets were used in roughly 18% of the market globally, now the figure is over 93%.

“It is an incredible industry success story. When we began over 28 million paper tickets were issued each month. We have reduced that number to less than 3 million,” he says.

3 billion US$ saving. That'll obviously mean savings for pax LOL :o

Well it can happen but rarely. A Thai friend flying Emirates, Sydney to Bkk got all the way through to the boarding lounge when he was told his e-ticket had been refunded, so he couldn't board.

Needless to say, they found the error the next day and called him but he had already left with another airline. He lost so much "face" that he refused to travel on that airline again until he was cajoled with huge overweight concessions, upgrades and a personal greeting and apology upon boarding on a subsequent trip.

So easy to "announce a computer reading" as an excuse to cure a overbooked situation. Of course they target the most vulnerable. I doubt a print out of the e-ticket helps much unless you are a strong voiced westerner who knows the rules regarding compensation for failure to honor a travel contract.

I suspect computer errors or the claim of such affect less than 1% of all travelers.

Thanks everyone once again for all the replies,

Read somewhere, Eva will want to see the card you paid the fare with also , not sure if true?
when you say card do you mean credit card ?. If that i the case then what happens if you did not use one ?.If that is the case . Edited by deon

quote] when you say card do you mean credit card ?. If that i the case then what happens if you did not use one ?.If that is the case .

u mean if u paid by cash (through internet ? I dont think so). The system will show which payment mode you did in that particular ticket. Now, they will not ask serial numbers of your money

Thats the point i did not pay with a creditcard, i payed in cash . though it says i have been given a e ticket .So i cant show a credit card, as i did not use one .And i did not get the flight online i went to travil bag and booked it .

deon>>

its because, the airlines have ur travel agent bank account instead (the travel agent technically buys the ticket not you). Now even if u pay by credit card to the travel agents, it doesnt matter (the airline system does not have a record of ur credit card, since ur dealing with travel agent, not the airline), so they wont ask ur credit card at all. they can call the travel agent if they want.