Transport On Koh Samui

Thanks for the replies about getting to KS in mid-November. I'll probably fly as the weather is not good for sightseeing by bus or train or long ferry trips!

When I arrive, I'll need to get about. What's the best mode of personal transport and the cost? I don't especially want to have a car, but if I do, what are the likely costs for a reasonable second-hand small one?

From what I've read the death toll using motorbikes on KS has put me off that mode. :D

Or would it be better to just rely on whatever mode of public or other transport is available? I suppose tuk-tuks, songthaews (sp?) are all available? BTW, could someone just explain what the difference is between them? :o

TIA

You are right about the mopeds - unless you are used to driving in Samui they can be a real spoiler for your holiday.

The smallest car you rent is a Suzuki Caribean (different spellings, usually wrong). You can rent a reasonable one of these from Avis or Budget but be prepared to pay something like 1100 baht per day. They are usable, but not comfortable.

The other way to do it is to get pickup from the airport by your hotel and then look around the place you are staying - there are lots of rental places around with differing standards of cars and prices. Refuse to leave your passport as security, it's not necessary.

Buying a car is not that easy, there is only a small second hand market and prices are high. Plus it's not possible to own the car in your name on a tourist visa.

tuk-tuks are those little three wheel motorcycle adaptions that you see in Bangkok, there are none (for hire) in Samui I have ever seen. Otherwise you take a regular metered taxi, a motorcycle taxi, or a songthaew. These are modified pickups that have two bench seats in the back (hence the name) and basically drive around the island picking up people as they go. They are cheap but don't run to a schedule, you just flag one down. Bargain the price before you get on, pay when you get off.

How long are you staying for?

You are right about the mopeds - unless you are used to driving in Samui they can be a real spoiler for your holiday.

The smallest car you rent is a Suzuki Caribean (different spellings, usually wrong). You can rent a reasonable one of these from Avis or Budget but be prepared to pay something like 1100 baht per day. They are usable, but not comfortable.

The other way to do it is to get pickup from the airport by your hotel and then look around the place you are staying - there are lots of rental places around with differing standards of cars and prices. Refuse to leave your passport as security, it's not necessary.

Buying a car is not that easy, there is only a small second hand market and prices are high. Plus it's not possible to own the car in your name on a tourist visa.

tuk-tuks are those little three wheel motorcycle adaptions that you see in Bangkok, there are none (for hire) in Samui I have ever seen. Otherwise you take a regular metered taxi, a motorcycle taxi, or a songthaew. These are modified pickups that have two bench seats in the back (hence the name) and basically drive around the island picking up people as they go. They are cheap but don't run to a schedule, you just flag one down. Bargain the price before you get on, pay when you get off.

I'm told many people die on motorbikes and mopeds in Thailand in general and Koh Samui is one of the worst places.

As to buying a car, I won't be on a tourist visa. I'm hoping to get a 12 month non-immigrant multi-entry visa.

How long are you staying for?

How about - for ever? Maybe. Depends on all sorts of circs - money, health, work etc etc.

I think the statistics for moterbikes accidents are a litte skewed because of the drunken people who drive it after a night out.

But it is still dangerous if you not used to it. Especially the holes and heaps of sand you have to avoid.

I have a bicycle and that suits me fine. I can stay on the far left side of the road which is pretty safe. And avoiding potholes and sand is a lot easier when you are not driving fast.

A car is preferable if you stay here long time and you have to drive longer distances. Prices are high expect to pay at least 200.000 for a decent pickup.

Buy a sturdy one, the drunken tourists on moterbikes only scratch your paint.

One thing i hate and never use are the so called "taxi meter". None of them have a meter and they are total ripp offs. I make it my personal goal to get them out of a job or use a fixed&fair price system . :o But i think boycotting them on my own will not help too much as there are too many naive tourists who will pay whatever.

Expect to pay 300 or more for a 10 kilomer drive. Bastards.

The songtheaws are a little bit better. I use the phrase "Chwaeng sam sip baht mai" which shows i know the prices and they will stop asking rediculous prices like 100 or even more most of the times. Or i let my wife do the talking, and she gets pissed of quickly when it is not a fair price. But you have to settle price BEFORE you take the ride. Expect to pay double, triple, quadruple at night time.

Samui would be so mch better with a bus service. A bus every half hour or so just driving the cirkel on the main road. I guess it will never happen.

Sorry for the negative tone. But public transport is the only thing that irritates me about the island.

That's a helpful and interesting post.

I run about in an old wreck of a car here in the UK which is worth nothing, and would not contemplate paying the sort of money you quote for a vehicle, even living here. I'm meeting the friend of a friend in the IT business on Samui when I get there with a view to some sort of work, so I suppose will need transport of some sort.

As I need to lose weight, a pedal bike would be fine. I have not ridden a motorbike in over 30 years so I could do a basic training course before I leave UK but I think I'll wait to see the standard of driving before I start riding around! :o

Perhaps I could make some money by setting up a small bus service around the island! :D I wonder if there might not be a market for an ex-pat service, in fact, with regular fares and timetable?

Perhaps I could make some money by setting up a small bus service around the island!  I wonder if there might not be a market for an ex-pat service, in fact, with regular fares and timetable?

I had exactly the same idea. But my wife and friends say i am crazy. I will end up dead quick. Seems the local songtheaw and taxis have a firm grip on transportation. I hear rumors people in high places rule that on Samui.

I talked to a taxi driver about how he makes a living. He have to pay 700 baht a day for renting the car. Nobody seems to own taxis themselves. Complain about the high price of gasoline etc..

But i think they are just silly. They drive around all day, honking to every tourist and it seems they drive around empty for most of the day. If they instead just parked near a big hotel or market they save on fuel and probably have more customers. Stick a fare overview on your passenger window with fixed and fair prices and they probably have more customers, as customers will feel better about not getting ripped of.

I think a bicycle is the best for small distances and if you don't live high up in the hills. And for the longer istances take a songtheaw.

I used to go for an hour or so with my bike in the southern part, south of the road Lamai-Nathon. Not much traffic there, very nice roads. I enjoyed it every time, the scenery is breathtaking (if you are a fan of Coconut Islands) :D

On the main road it is more dangerous, but not more than in other places. I saw an accident only once or twice, where a motorbike driver had been run over at the exit of a ptt station. You have to keep your eyes open, and do not rely on that the others follow the rules, or even look for the traffic, before the enter the main road. Often they just go, as if they would be the only ones who could possibly drive around there.

Using a motorbike, keep your fingers on the horn, don't be afraid to use it, and on the lights, and on the brakes, so you can react quickly. Watch every car or motorbike coming near the road in front of you with suspicion, as it might not stop. Doing so will help you avoid a lot of possible accidents - I had none, despite the fact that I had been always at driving at full speed.

But then again, you should be careful everywhere, shouldn't you?

If you get a car, then do not forget to get a good insurance, and not just the compulsory one. If you get in an accident, you will by the Thais there and by the arriving police usually easily identified as th guilty one, who should pay. Naturally, as you might be the only one who can pay. Traffic rules are interpreted quite flexible to explain why you are guilty. Not so long ago you could also hear that you must be guilty, because if you would not have been coming to Thailand, then the accident would not have happened. So it is your fault :o You might get asked quickly to sign a statement, written for you in Thai by the police, or go to prison...

Of course do NOT sign, never. Get a good insurance, and a mobile phone, and then you simply call the insurance in case of an accident. Then wait, they will send someone. These guys from the insurance then will tell you what you can sign, and what not, and they can also give the police guy a lesson in traffic rules. Then it is not farang against Thai, but accident- Thai against insurance-Thai, and the insurance does not want to pay if not needed, as everywhere.

Also these insurances cover the bail, which you might need as a farang, to avoid getting kept in prison, just in case you would run away before everything is cleared. Such a bail for a farang can easily be more than 50000 baht, and who has that always in the pocket when driving around. An insurance could cover up to 200000 for such a bail.

But do not let this precaution stop you from enjoying driving around there. I did do so for years, with bicycle, motorbike and car, and never had a problem or an accident. :D

And yes, Khun Jean, I think also that pissing of a Thai, where it hurts him, will get you killed quickly. And you can hurt him by making him loose face in public, or by reducing his income, no matter if he is entitled to it or not.

There are people in your neighborhood there, which can come back in 5 minutes with a gun, if they get angry. And once they are drunk, they get angry easily. And they do use these guns. Been there, seen that.

Such a bus service would be great, but it can only work if someone with power is running it. You could be a partner though, I think, but it should then be someone really powerful. And these powerful people, well, in other places they would get called mafia...

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from Samui, and I would say at 150bht a day its hard to turn down the honda option, I was there for 4 weeks and my lady who is very slight drove the bike all over the place didn't see any accidents or ever feel at risk despite the sometimes frenetic conditions.

I think the way thet people conduct themselves must contribute to the death toll i.e. drinking and NO CRASHHELMET if you are sensible your risk comes down a lot I would say, plus driving with the Thais and not against them.

The bikes are really cheap. You can rent from 100 baht a day, 150 a day gets you a better one with working brakes. :o

If you stay longer yoiu can have the 150 baht a day for 3000 a month. Very good deal.

And i agree with fisherd3, it is the number of drunken people who get killed every year that gives the high statistics. Avoid driving around bar closing time and it is safe enough if you know how to drive defensively and anticipate strange movements from other vehicles.