Honda Click Losing Power

Gimbo

I have just clocked 4000Km on my Honda Click. And it has been running fine up to now. Did as the book says and did an oil change at 1000Km and now at 4000Km.

But in the last few days it has started to do strange things. Well, it's always been a bit reluctant to do much when it's cold. And we do have some chilly mornings up here in Isaan.

Today however, I was doing a 13km ride into town. And doing between 80 and 90Km/h as i usually do. There are no traffick on these roads up here. When I felt that the bike was losing power.

It was not much. But at full throttle it barely did 80-85Km/h. While normally I will have plenty of twist left in the throttle handle to get me by cars and slow trucks I may overtake. Top speed is normally around 105KM/H, thats with my 95Kgs driving it (mind you, those 5 km/h from 100 to 105 is a struggle).

Anyway, I could feel the bike struggle like. And this happened several times. It would suddenly just slow down. Then spurt on again.

So what could be wrong?

Dodgy fuel?

Need a look at my spark plugs?

Some filter needs changing?

Or did my wife want to save 20 baht again, and got some cheap crap oil during the last oil change (she was the one taking it to have it done this time).

Any sugestions welcome, and I can provide miore info if needed for a diagnose :-)

Fill it with 95 octane fuel, not gashol, and take to somchai to clean air filter with compressor. Don't leave him to do it but watch and make sure. Gave an air filter to a thai girl, her bike, and told her what to do. She gave it to somchai who did nothing.

Could be any of a number of things, but do that first

Fill it with 95 octane fuel, not gashol, and take to somchai to clean air filter with compressor. Don't leave him to do it but watch and make sure. Gave an air filter to a thai girl, her bike, and told her what to do. She gave it to somchai who did nothing.

Could be any of a number of things, but do that first

Thanks for that...air filter *slaps self*

I only lived in a desert for 2 years before I came to SE Asia...and cleaning the airfilters was sort of second nature there. How I could forget that one...well, a trip to the nearest gas station should have that fixed.

Always fill 95 Octane on that bike...well. I assume it is. God knows whats on those pumps.

Had another talk with the wife. Turns out at last service she simply took it to Somchai in the village who only changed the oil.

So today it was to the local Honda dealership and have the "service" redone. For 80 baht they changed the oil (presumably to the correct one), cleaned the air filter, did some tuning on that noisy part that makes the bike go, took it for a test drive, fiddled some more with it, then checked air pressure, tested the brakes and that was it. And now it runs like it did before. It all took 20 minutes.

Wife has been kindly instructed to take it to Honda, and not Somchai next time too. Friendly bunch there and appeared to know what they where doing. At least with a nosey farang peering over their shoulders, he he.

• 2 years later...

Had another talk with the wife. Turns out at last service she simply took it to Somchai in the village who only changed the oil.

So today it was to the local Honda dealership and have the "service" redone. For 80 baht they changed the oil (presumably to the correct one), cleaned the air filter, did some tuning on that noisy part that makes the bike go, took it for a test drive, fiddled some more with it, then checked air pressure, tested the brakes and that was it. And now it runs like it did before. It all took 20 minutes.

Wife has been kindly instructed to take it to Honda, and not Somchai next time too. Friendly bunch there and appeared to know what they where doing. At least with a nosey farang peering over their shoulders, he he.

Dragging up an old thread, but i had been having the same problem since i had some mods done (new wheels, suspension, accessory socket installed for the GPS) and at the same time an oil change.

Watched the guy pour 1 liter of oil in, didn't raise any alarm in my brain because i didn't know the capacity of the sump.

then i noticed it really only became sluggish on a hill, so checked the oil level yesterday, and it was well above the full mark. i got the lady to translate the manual and the total sump capacity is 0.8L, and takes 0.7L at a change. i took out the excess oil (with a syringe and a straw) until it was back to the full mark on the dipstick and the bike has been fine since.