Visa Run Gone Bad - At Least Four Hospitalized

Friday was long time coming. There was a long discussion/posting about unsafe visaruns. Especially Herberts "Fastest" visarun was under shooting range.

All details are still not clear but this is from very trustworthy source: Friday during a rain once again Herbie minivan despite all the physics of law was gassing up to the border as fast as possible (just quick border run) throught the slippery corners. 5 - 10 minutes run to the border van driver lost control and it started to slip and slide. Trip ends up in to a tree. Someone already put a word that it was a blasted tyre but nothing at the accident spot pointed to that (no splattered tyre gum or marks). It was simply too fast driving under very risky conditions.

Four of the visarunners end up in a hospital. It is not clear what kind of injuries they carry. Neither is clear how they will manage to pay their hospital bills since there's no insurance involved on these trips. Also Herbert stayed in the hospital over night for a surgery but was likely able to return back to Samui today.

Once again this is something to think about for these people who want to give their lives to some crazy drivers' (organizers') hands. This is hardly the right time to say "I was right" when we were talking about what one hour faster or slower can mean in mans life, but I will: I among bunch of other people was right and I would never take Herberts fastest visarun.

I'm sure more details will drop as this post reaches friends that were involved with the accident. For people who are looking for safer way to hit the border you can always try for example Easyrun or Julias visarun...

Herbert: Instead of advertising "Fastest" you could try "Safest" althought after dragging people to a pit with you I hardly believe it will work.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Friday was long time coming. There was a long discussion/posting about unsafe visaruns. Especially Herberts "Fastest" visarun was under shooting range.

All details are still not clear but this is from very trustworthy source: Friday during a rain once again Herbie minivan despite all the physics of law was gassing up to the border as fast as possible (just quick border run) throught the slippery corners. 5 - 10 minutes run to the border van driver lost control and it started to slip and slide. Trip ends up in to a tree. Someone already put a word that it was a blasted tyre but nothing at the accident spot pointed to that (no splattered tyre gum or marks). It was simply too fast driving under very risky conditions.

Four of the visarunners end up in a hospital. It is not clear what kind of injuries they carry. Neither is clear how they will manage to pay their hospital bills since there's no insurance involved on these trips. Also Herbert stayed in the hospital over night for a surgery but was likely able to return back to Samui today.

Once again this is something to think about for these people who want to give their lives to some crazy drivers' (organizers') hands. This is hardly the right time to say "I was right" when we were talking about what one hour faster or slower can mean in mans life, but I will: I among bunch of other people was right and I would never take Herberts fastest visarun.

I'm sure more details will drop as this post reaches friends that were involved with the accident. For people who are looking for safer way to hit the border you can always try for example Easyrun or Julias visarun...

Herbert: Instead of advertising "Fastest" you could try "Safest" althought after dragging people to a pit with you I hardly believe it will work.

The inevitable has finally happened...i hope all the victims are ok...maybe herman will hang up his racing gloves now....

Any more info on this?

I just spoke to my Friend who was on the Mini Bus behind, he says it was 100% a blow out of the Tryre, he also says they were travelling at approximatey 130kmh...

thank's for that infos.....good to know but it's helping nobody.

But what this happend with "Herbert" the Visarunner?

Does nobody have of you the same incident on the own car or bike before ????

If they drive 90km/h and the tyre blow out.....u can't control the Minivan anyway,

so in these case it's just a new story against "Herbert's" Visaruns.

we all can be affected every day with something like that.

...nothing is save in Thailand! everybody must know that :o

does somebody know in this forum, how much time "Julies" or "Eaysrun"

need for the same Visarun? Any infos would be very useful.

- - - all the best for the injured customers of that Minivan - - -

Chayaphum

I just spoke to my Friend who was on the Mini Bus behind, he says it was 100% a blow out of the Tryre, he also says they were travelling at approximatey 130kmh...

As the types are about to blow any moment, the guy was right to speed ...

A long time ago, I had a friend with an old car, as I told him to slow at the crossings, he used to reply that, without brakes, he could not stop, so faster gave a smaller chance of collision ...

I have seen very good drivers here, especially minivan ones, they can drive an undriveable "thing" with one finger as they chat on the phone, smoke a cigarette and drink ...

...yeah, the Thai-drivers are the best in the world!

They can do everthing at the same time......(very talented/cleverly)

Drive a car, smoke a cigarette, eat something, listen music, look a movie,

talk with other passengers and also take care of the traffic in front of the car

......just Amazing, unbelievable :o or really professionel.

Chayaphum

All to common with car/mini van for hire/visa run get the money as fast as they can not much concern for your saftey. Same hold true for the ferries to the Islands(many not enough life jackets) just an accident waiting to happen: power that be PLEASE NOTE!! :D:o:D:D

Posts have been deleted. Lets avoid flaming and abuse, even of people who may or may not be members. Since the circumstances have not yet made the news, right now all we have is hearsay.

I made a visarun with one of these companies. No kidding but we were going through corners on 2 wheels sometime.

We the passengers complained and for a few minutes speed was lowered, after that full blast again. More complaining and even threatening had to be used to get the driver to drive below 150-160 km/h. But still corners that should be taken with 80 km/h were taken with 100 km/h.

Since then never again.

Unfortunately for people who do this the first time and have no idea what awaits them. I don't believe many would do it a second time unless you like living dangerously.

i posted last year about getting off Julie's (first and only time with any of them) before Hat Yai,

because i considered it too dangerous.

she said she had a very good driver!

he must be i guess or they would have crashed long ago.

what i can't believe are the customers willing to risk injury or death for the sake of a night's stay somewhere.

last week i did a self-propelled ranong run, stayed overnight Ranong,

slow and tedious, yes, but i never felt in danger, that's my requirement nowadays.

like they say, its up to you.

i posted last year about getting off Julie's (first and only time with any of them) before Hat Yai,

what i can't believe are the customers willing to risk injury or death for the sake of a night's stay somewhere.

slow and tedious, yes, but i never felt in danger, that's my requirement nowadays.

Well put Mark.

Well put Mark.

What about a car share for all the samui expats who need safety,not speed.....All those with cars could rotate every 3 months,so everyone takes their turn at driving.....share all the costs...fuel etc.At the end of the day,we didnt move to paradise to die at the hands of some impatient fool on a dodgy road..

...to every thaivisa-user from samui (or somewhere)......

why nobody of you starting a new company for visaruns?

The name of this company should be "SafetyVisaRuns Co. LTD."

This company offer very safety/life protectet visaruns.

Including......

- free breakfast

- pickup service at your place around the island

- shopping at the border (dutyfree)

- full meals during the trip

- short stops (10min.) every hour at some gasoline-station on the way

- full service for paperwork before cross the border to malaysia

- 1 night nearly the border (3 star Accommodation)

- every minivan has a lovely service-lady (van-attendant) to take care of every customer

- free cool drinks in the bus (incl. alcoholic drinks)

- the latest DVD-movies on board

- every seat has a safety belt

- free pillow and ceiling for your comfort

- the max. speed during a trip is about 70-90km/h !

- the level of maintenance on our cars is very high (Aircon, Tyres, Shock Absorbers, Brakes....)

- well educated/trained drivers with many years of experience on thailands roads

"we do everything for your safety" is our standart

Promotion rate just 2790bt (regular rate 3190bt)

not bad, dschai mai? :o

who want to start a business like that ???

Chayaphum

Well put Mark.

What about a car share for all the samui expats who need safety,not speed.....All those with cars could rotate every 3 months,so everyone takes their turn at driving.....share all the costs...fuel etc.At the end of the day,we didnt move to paradise to die at the hands of some impatient fool on a dodgy road..

Suggestion to to ThaiVisa.com: Please open VisaRun "drive safe" Pool section where people could chat and open dates among drivers without hurry to the border. Simply share the costs and schedule to the border and back... " Get to know better people with will to live".

Please do it. Signed by me and my pal.

i am amazed at the number of expats who are still doing a 30 day border run! why? is there something i am missing? i usually just fly to penang or somewhere else via bangkok.

i am amazed at the number of expats who are still doing a 30 day border run! why? is there something i am missing? i usually just fly to penang or somewhere else via bangkok.

you'll probably find that the border run is cheaper!

Suggestion to to ThaiVisa.com: Please open VisaRun "drive safe" Pool section where people could chat and open dates among drivers without hurry to the border. Simply share the costs and schedule to the border and back... " Get to know better people with will to live".

Please do it. Signed by me and my pal.

cosign. It could be pegged to the top section.

QUOTE (girlx @ 2008-03-11 09:37:30)

obviously but i am wondering why you would go for a 30 day visa?

QUOTE (girlx @ 2008-03-11 09:37:30)

obviously but i am wondering why you would go for a 30 day visa?

girlx, i think that most expats who are doing the runs to the border have business, retirment or multiple entry visas that just need renewing.

Hey there,

I don't live in thailand, however from what I know my mother and her boyfriend were two of the four injured in the accident. Should anyone find out anything at all about the accident, especially the well being of those injured PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

Have tried calling both them and the hospital but to no avail, so your information is like gold dust to me at present.

Munky

Hey there,

I don't live in thailand, however from what I know my mother and her boyfriend were two of the four injured in the accident. Should anyone find out anything at all about the accident, especially the well being of those injured PLEASE PLEASE let me know.

Have tried calling both them and the hospital but to no avail, so your information is like gold dust to me at present.

Munky

Hi Munky,

Sorry about your relatives. You could try ringing Herbert's office in Samui on +6677420747 (There is a thai girl that works there and takes bookings but obviously is only open office hours and maybe closed all the time at the moment due to the accident) or Herbert's mobile on +66818933859 (but that is likely to be off as well). Alternatively you could try calling the UK's (or whatever country your are from) embassy in Bangkok.

Edited by Samsong

Just had a few messages from maa, am glad she's alive and well.

cheers for the phone numbers for herbert, tried getting through to him with no avail. luckily shes' now made contact so I can sleep a bit easier this evenin.

munky

Just had a few messages from maa, am glad she's alive and well.

cheers for the phone numbers for herbert, tried getting through to him with no avail. luckily shes' now made contact so I can sleep a bit easier this evenin.

munky

Happy to hear your mother is well.

Any more info from her about what happened and more important if they were taken care of by Herbert or his staff after the accident? I hope nobody was injured seriously, including H. himself.

During my last visa run we passed a bus that had been in an accident. It somehow went off the road, ending backwards down the slope next to the road. Beside it was a truck, totally crushed.

It makes you think - does the mini-van driver has insurance for everybody in the car?

And since it's Thailand the answer is very likely to be: NO

When that plane crash-landed in Phuket, all the farang had to pay their own hospital bills (according to the earliest comments from the airline). Don't know if they eventually took their responsibility.

I wish everyone on that mini-van a fast and full recovery and hopefully Herbert will take responsibility......

I had a visa run with Julie today, she let us sign a paper that we understand hospital costs are covered by insurance up to 50'000 Bath per person. Maybe enough for a broken leg but more? :o

The run itself was smooth, the bus was fine, the driver not speeding, seemed pretty safe to me.Not sure if I can believe all they said about H's accident so I will not spread unverified stories/rumours.

I had a visa run with Julie today, she let us sign a paper that we understand hospital costs are covered by insurance up to 50'000 Bath per person. Maybe enough for a broken leg but more? :o The run itself was smooth, the bus was fine, the driver not speeding, seemed pretty safe to me.Not sure if I can believe all they said about H's accident so I will not spread unverified stories/rumours.

that's great to know!

how much time "Julie" need for a Visarun ?

(When she start in the morning from Nathon / when she is back Nathon in the evening)

more Infos would be very helpfull....

Chayaphum