Mccormack Hospital. How Reliable Are Their Blood Tests?

damian5000

Does anyone know how reliable McCormack's blood testing is?

I got an HIV antibody / antigen test there a few days ago. I went the day after they took my blood (when I was supposed to go) and they printed the sheets when I got there and brought them back to the lab where they could be signed and put the result (non-reactive btw)

Forget about HIV window periods. Probably this is fault with me for thinking everything outside the western world is not "up to standards".

I just want to know if the people at McCormack (particularly the techs who screen the blood) are known for doing their jobs properly.

Thanks,

D

Does anyone know how reliable McCormack's blood testing is?

I got an HIV antibody / antigen test there a few days ago. I went the day after they took my blood (when I was supposed to go) and they printed the sheets when I got there and brought them back to the lab where they could be signed and put the result (non-reactive btw)

Forget about HIV window periods. Probably this is fault with me for thinking everything outside the western world is not "up to standards".

I just want to know if the people at McCormack (particularly the techs who screen the blood) are known for doing their jobs properly.

Thanks,

D

Umm.. what?

If you look at the report, you may find that that they spell it McCormick but otherwise, if you have questions about accuracy of blood tests (god only knows who you have been up into), simply get another test somewhere else. They are cheap and sometimes free depending on where you go.

Avoid blood/feces and you will likely be fine...

The testing you asked about back in dec. 2006 turned out to suit you, I guess, go there and get another test. I do think McCormick hospital knows what they are doing in the medical area and seem to have a good reputation. May be something to think on.

Ok...Much appreciated. McCormick has always been "friendly" and they have reasonable rates... Sometimes it's difficult to tell for sure what's going on behind the scenes... But that's most likely just paranoia.

Thanks for the time...

Ok...Much appreciated. McCormick has always been "friendly" and they have reasonable rates... Sometimes it's difficult to tell for sure what's going on behind the scenes... But that's most likely just paranoia.Thanks for the time...

What do you think they get up to "behind the scenes"?

McCormick is a good hospital and their only agenda is to offer medical services and make sick folks better. They are not as money orientated as a few other hospitals in the area.

Sometimes it's difficult to tell for sure what's going on behind the scenes... But that's most likely just paranoia.

You didn't say, but if you are a heterosexual male who doesn't shoot drugs and obsesses about HIV, then yes, there may be some paranoia here.

I hate to be the harbinger of doom but I know 1 thai guy who already knew he was hiv+. He went there for a test and they said _ve..... Dont ask me why he went for the test when he already knew.

There are a very few (but a measurable amount) of false positive and false negative readings on all of the basic tests. (There are more false positives than negatives)

• 3 weeks later...

Read below of my experience with McCormack's hospital:

I am a long term resident of Chiang Mai living here for 4 years.

On a day in mid December last year I woke up feeling very ill with a flu like symptom, sore throat, headache, severe fatigue and muscle aches. I put it down to the changing weather as it became very cold here in Chiang Mai. So I went back to bed, took flu medication and waited to get better.

By the end of December I wasn't getting any better and since first feeling ill, I had completely lost my appetite and was losing a tremendous amount of weight.

On 27 December I took myself to the McCormack's hospital in Chiang Mai for a check up. After completing several tests, (no blood test), the Doctor informed me that I was suffering from acute indigestion and was prescribed anti biotics and indigestion medicine at a cost of nearly 2000 baht. I was not happy with the hospital`s diagnosies because indigestion couldn't explain why my body was aching so much and the weakness to a point that at times I was almost losing consciousness. I took the prescribed medication, but my condition was worsening and got to a stage where I could no longer get out of bed.

2 January this year, suffering from feeling extremely chilled, muscle pain, severe headache, fever, intense joint pain, dizziness, rashes all over my body and total loss of appetite, a friend took me in his car to the emergency section of the government hospital in San Pa Tong.

The doctor took my blood pressure, temperature and a blood sample. Within half an hour at the hospital the Doctor confirmed that I have Dengue fever and that I am very ill. It was explained to me that I had probably been bitten by the striped variety of the dengue virus-carrying mosquito. I was immediately admitted into the hospital, told that there is no vaccines or cures for this disease and can only be observed to see if I begin haemorrhaging or not as haemorrhaging is a possibility with dengue fever. There is no specific treatment for dengue except for supportive therapy of fluid and electrolyte balance, prevention and treatment of shock and treatment of coagulation disorders.

While in the hospital I was interviewed by a chief government investigating environmental officer who suggested that I had been travelling outside of Chiang Mai and picked up the virus from somewhere outside of Chiang Mai. I explained that I had not been outside of Chiang Mai and mostly at home for the last month. I lately confirmed this to environmental officers by catching a stripped mosquito in my bedroom.

After 4 days, luckily I did not haemorrhage and was given the option of either going home to recover or stay in hospital. I opted to go home, but with regular visits to San Pa Tong hospital to monitor my progress. In the meantime to my displeasure, although I knew it had to be done, government environmental officers came inside my home and surrounding areas and fumigated the whole district with mosquito killing chemicals. The smell was obnoxious and I was concerned for my dogs and fishpond stocks, but told I must endure this by law.

None of us was affected by the chemical sprays and today (18 January) I am still far from well, but my health is improving and over the danger fatal period of Dengue fever. Still struggling to take food and the aching bones sometimes is extreme. Hopefully get better soon and not have to endure much more of this horrible disease.

Being a computer junkie I often get mosquito bitten on my legs and ankles where my legs rest under the computer table, it being dark and dusty, a great place for mossies to congregate.

I believe that I am very vulnerable to these tropical viruses because unlike the local Thai people in my village, I have never been exposed to such dangers coming from England and have not yet formed any immunity to these bugs.

Must admit that I used to think these bad things only happen to the other fella and that this could never happen to me. These days I take health care much more seriously, although not getting fanatical, will in future be more aware and have a medical check up at least once a year.

I also heard a horror story of sorts about McCormick, from a close friend of mine. However, that was an isolated incident or anecdote. As Nurse Sheryl reminded us recently, you cannot judge an entire medical institution by one misdiagnosing doctor (or one blood test).

I meant to ask you, distorted link: is that in San Patong, south of Hang Dong? My friend who lives there with his Thai wife doesn't know of a govt. hospital there.

My wife had an exray taken there which showed her fine....

But then she took it to another hospital to have them read it. There

they found some TB... :o

No such animal as a good or bad hospital here in my experience with them. Anything you feel weird about, getting it double checked is best...

I also heard a horror story of sorts about McCormick, from a close friend of mine. However, that was an isolated incident or anecdote. As Nurse Sheryl reminded us recently, you cannot judge an entire medical institution by one misdiagnosing doctor (or one blood test).

I meant to ask you, distorted link: is that in San Patong, south of Hang Dong? My friend who lives there with his Thai wife doesn't know of a govt. hospital there.

Yes it is.

It`s a large hospital. Although when visiting be prepared to wait on up to 2 hours to be seen by a Doctor and there is no posh trimmings, the staff really know their stuff and a Farang will be charged exactly the same as Thai people.

McCormick is one of the approx 4 hospitals in Thailand from which the US Embassy / Visa people accept medical reports for visa purposes. McCormick is also ISO accredited.

I would have good confidence in their report. If I worried, I would get a second one from Ram hospital, on the moat.

So relax :o

Dengue Fever.

There are four serotypes of the Dengue virus. Once you have had one, you become immune to that strain but you can still catch the other three.

Treatment:

There is an old wives cure for Dengue that is supposed to be most efficacious. Use a juicing machine to make juice from raw papaya leaves. Drink at least 100 ml of the fresh juice three to four times per day after onset of symptoms.