I Need A Ride To Nong Khai On April 10th/11th

BikeThailand

I did not manage to secure overnight train tickets or bus tickets in time, but my friend and I need to get to Nong Khai by the 11th of April with two bicycles. Does anyone have room in their vehicle or have train or bus tickets to sell? I know that Songkran really takes a toll on the travel arrangements, but thought I would give it a shot. Happy to sit in the back of a truck with livestock or distant relatives, and we will pitch in for gas too. :o

Any ideas?

Thanks,

chris

I did not manage to secure overnight train tickets or bus tickets in time, but my friend and I need to get to Nong Khai by the 11th of April with two bicycles. Does anyone have room in their vehicle or have train or bus tickets to sell? I know that Songkran really takes a toll on the travel arrangements, but thought I would give it a shot. Happy to sit in the back of a truck with livestock or distant relatives, and we will pitch in for gas too. :D

Any ideas?

Thanks,

chris

Maybe you could fly.... :o

I did not manage to secure overnight train tickets or bus tickets in time, but my friend and I need to get to Nong Khai by the 11th of April with two bicycles. Does anyone have room in their vehicle or have train or bus tickets to sell? I know that Songkran really takes a toll on the travel arrangements, but thought I would give it a shot. Happy to sit in the back of a truck with livestock or distant relatives, and we will pitch in for gas too. :D

Any ideas?

Thanks,

chris

Maybe you could fly.... :o

Or start biking now!

Serious though. It would be interesting to start now with overnight stays on the way.. Sure you see lots of interesting things on the way

Last year when I travelled to Nong Khai before Songkran all I could get were 3rd Class seats on the train. However many Thais travelled standing, or lying on the floor all the way. The train was packed so tightly that it was hard to get to the toilets! Anyway you could always try buying ordinary tickets and going native!

Thanks everyone.

I will try the local airlines, but was hoping to spend a little less than what they normally charge.

I would love to ride but have to work straight up to the 9th and need to be there well rested by the 11th.

I tried to get any train ticket I could but they were completely sold out. We were more than happy to squeeze in with others sleeping on the floor in 3rd class, or even standing. It wouldn't be my first time. Any idea how people manage to get on the train if the seats are all sold out? If we just show up a few hours early is it likely we can squeeze on? We were planning to try that at Hua Lumpong and possibly Mo Chit Bus Station too.

Thanks,

Chris

Mo chit's a nightmare at songkran, an absolute nightmare. You'll be very, very lucky if you find a bus to get on. And with the bikes as well.... :o

If you are considering a flight, you'd better book now, though I imagine they are sold out too.

I think you have better chance of finding a spare travel ticket to get there if you use transport that the Thai's don't use.

Have you considered taking a tourist bus from khao san or sukhumvit or some such place?

Edited by burman