Uk Male Married To Thai.

In reply to Dr Pat Pongs question. I have a multi entry visa. Every 90 days I leave the Kingdom. Am I not a walker? Or am I better than the people who have to leave every 30/60 days? I personally don't think I'm any better!

By the same reasoning.....I don't think that any person is better than me because they have a visa that allows them to stay in the Kingdom for a year without having to leave.

Horses for courses comes to mind.

As for opalhort.....Beggars belief????

Now someone answer my question!

If you do border runs every month. Are you illegal?

NO. NO. NO. NO. :o

Now someone answer my question!

If you do border runs every month. Are you illegal?

A person doing border runs evey month for years on 30 days entry stamps is NOT illegal, but he/she is abusing the system of allowing TRUE tourist easy entry into LOS!!!

If you are on a multi entry Non-Imm visa with 90 days border runs then what is your problem? You must have qualified to obtain this type of visa in the first place - so all is OK.

Is it so difficult to understand that a 30 or 60 days border walker without long term visa should not have any right to reside in Thailand long term????

A Non-Imm visa of any kind is the one needed for long term stay even if, as may be the case with multi entry visas, border runs are required.

opalhort

A person doing border runs evey month for years on 30 days entry stamps is NOT illegal, but he/she is abusing the system of allowing TRUE tourist easy entry into LOS!!!

opalhort

Kindly define what is a TRUE tourist, according to thai law.

Since there is no such definition it seems to me that anybody is allowed to make use of the system in his own best interest.

Some might call it abuse but that depends which side of the fence you're sitting on.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand the difference between the written law and the meaning/spirit of the law?

The laws in Thailand are usually not very clear, leaving room for interpretaion by officers. Sometimes this can be good for people who face sincere problems or who are 'border line cases' but this 'system' is sadly abused by people who in effect reside in LOS and do 30 days non-visa or 60 days tourist visa border runs back to back for years!

I hope Thailand will come up with laws to limit the number of 30 days non visa or 60 days tourist visa entries per year. This could easily stop the abuse and not hurt the real tourists and residents.

opalhort

They are in a world of their own, and believe Thailand owes them something for the vast amount of money pumped into the economy by this class of individual.

The Immigration have already said that these monthly border hopper are abusing

the "intention of the law", which was to allow short stay tourists easy entry to Thailand.

The same goes for people who use the multi-entry visa as a way to live here

without conforming to the rules about financial support.

A multi-entry visa is intended for people who will make several trips in one year.

For those who want to live here there are provisions for one year extensions, subject to certain conditions.

Perhaps limits on tourists staying more than 6 month in one calendar year,

such as Nepal has, would clear the air?

I know it would impact some real longer stay tourists, which is a shame, but I doubt they would complain,

but I know who will...................

By abusing the system you invite more stringent regulations.

If you don't believe me go and check how easy it is for an asian national to enter your own country.

Thailand is really very tolerant, but don't bank on that lasting for ever.

Why is it so difficult for people to understand the difference between the written law and the meaning/spirit of the law?

The laws in Thailand are usually not very clear, leaving room for interpretaion by officers. Sometimes this can be good for people who face sincere problems or who are 'border line cases' but this 'system' is sadly abused by people who in effect reside in LOS and do 30 days non-visa or 60 days tourist visa border runs back to back for years!

I hope Thailand will come up with laws to limit the number of 30 days non visa or 60 days tourist visa entries per year. This could easily stop the abuse and not hurt the real tourists and residents.

opalhort

They are in a world of their own, and believe Thailand owes them something for the vast amount of money pumped into the economy by this class of individual.

Oh ... I was being facetious.

opalhort

Oh ... I was being facetious.

Even so, after all we all like to play devils' advocate sometimes, shouldn't people be allowed to live wherever they want(if they can afford to) ? My historical knowledge on this is a bit weak, but I seem to recall that Passports have only been around since around world war I, before that emigration to the US was contingent upon getting to the US border(and showing that you had the money to support yourself).

Asretroll....You're telling lies again? Why would a Thai Immigration Officer want to talk to you? And if he / she did....How low down the pecking order would they be?

You're living in la-la land...............

Bangkok Post.............Top Immigration Official talks to Numbskull!

Give us all a break.

Claire. :o