Brazen Cops

I was heading towards Pantip on Phetchaburi Rd., normally they have a section of that road closed except for public buses... So I would take the small soi's that would take me back out on Phetchaburi again. The small soi that meets up with Phetchaburi would have a no right turn sign (in thai), obviously take a left turn towards Pantip.

Well, today, there was a make shift obstruction (concrete block with a long metal pole sticking upwards) upon making a left turn. Obviously, the sign said no right turn, so I naturally made a left.... And low and behold, a blockade, stopping motorcycles coming off the bridge. A fat f*&^!! copper walked towards my car and gestured me to stop, and so I did. He told me that I was not allowed to make a left turn, and indicated the "obstruction" as the no turn "sign". I was with my g/f and she was politely asked how should we have proceeded if we weren't allow to turn right nor left. She just kept asking the obvious question and he finally told us to just reverse back.

This is my first experience with the "brazeness" of these cops to the length they would go to "make" money. Clearly he was out to "make" money. There was no warning, no signs, he kept saying that we were at fault. He let us go only because my g/f stated the obvious multiple times.

Oh well.... just wanted to "vent out" my frustration and give a "heads up".

Had one clown try to nick me coming of the expressway onto Sukhumvit near Soi 1 wanting to go back around through Bumrungrad to Soi 3 and then to Sukhumvit going the other way. Babbling on in Thai, showed licence and he wanted Bt500 for something. Mai ow krap.

Last year I covered 19,000 km's in LOS and if I remember stopped 3 times by BIB (all highway police types).

Parted with cash on two occasions, friendly wave on our way the other.

When we are about to be stopped in the future my wife has now ordered me not to speak Thai at all, play the dumb farang & and I am here on holiday! she will say.

Reasons ? anyone's guess, who knows what goes through my wifes head!

Just on a side about the BIB, in this town there is no police enforcement of traffic regulations, such as helmet laws, 5 on a Mo-cy/tax & licence's etc. They do venture out from the police station to attend the odd coming together of motor cy & pickup. Other tasks appear to be, - sit in local Bank/Gold shop/kids across the road at school times and practicing their snooker skills.

A neighbour has just turned in his badge after 10 years of this routine to sell shoes in the markets, a more interesting line of work apparently.

Edited by phutoie2

Had one clown try to nick me coming of the expressway onto Sukhumvit near Soi 1 wanting to go back around through Bumrungrad to Soi 3 and then to Sukhumvit going the other way. Babbling on in Thai, showed licence and he wanted Bt500 for something. Mai ow krap.

I must have encountered the same guy a few weeks back. Paid my toll in the right lane and was pulled over for driving in the right lane before I got on the motorway. THB 500.

The reason your wife told you not to speak thai, is that they aren't very likely to shake down a tourist, as they can get some guff for harassing tourists if you reported it.

If you speak thai, then you live here and are subject to a similar treatment as the locals...

After 8 months here without once being stopped I have been stopped twice in the last fortnight. First was coming out of a toll on the expressway in Bkk. I got my international licence out and smiled. He asked me in Thai where I was going so I smiled and handed him my d/l. He then said something about farangs not speaking thai so I smiled. He then asked in English "Where you go?" I told him Sapanburi he thanked me and I drove on.

The next time was in Kanchaniburi. I was in a new pickup so opened the door as the tinting was not hardened. He took one look at me said sawadee krap saluted and waved me on.

I don't know why people say the BiB are corrupt!!! A fine upstanding body of men keeping the streets safe!!! For the non english amongst you that was british sarcasm!! :o

Back in the later half of the 90’s when relieving Farang drivers of their cumbersome folding money by the BiB was almost declared an Olympic sport and the live version of ‘Hotel California’ had to be surgically removed from the minds of anyone who set foot in the region, there was an occasion I did make an ‘illegal’ right turn into a Soi along Ladprao Road somewhere.

I had missed the exit to the Highway and I needed to U-turn, but being new to Bangkok I thought it safer (and less stressful and quicker) to take a right turn, turn around and then come back to the top of the Soi to turn left.

Anyhow I was spotted doing this illegal right turn and the Cop fella jumped out to collect his reward.

On that particular day I recall it was either very hot day generally or just very hot and still at that location where is poor Cop had been placed to do his bit to add to the tea money coffers.

Well, I had been stopped a couple of times previously and in those days THB 400 -500 was the going rate for a lone Farang driver to earn his instant “get outta here PDQ card”

The ironic thing was the previous times I did nothing wrong and this time I had been naughty, but I though ‘B=llo=ks”, I am going to see if I can get away with this?

I studied for a short while elementary German via a Linguaphone course, and in a flash of brilliance I thought it was time to put my expertise to good use.

The cop came strutting up to the drivers side and I was already prepared, window down, big smile and the air con on full tilt and directed at my face from all vents (cos this, in my estimation was gonna take a while!).

The cop was clearly asking/telling me the standard stuff in Thai/broken English and my intention as to hold my ground and only speaking German and not to respond to any Thai or English regardless of what he says.

I don’t remember the German exactly that I used and not wishing to distress our German TV friends its best I just recall the German as an English translation for this purpose.

Conversation went something like this:

Cop says: “Blah, passport ,blah, pay, blah monkey house”

I said: (in German) ‘That is my suitcase!” (smile and look straight in his eyes)

(pause)

Cop Says: “Hmm? Blah, license, blah, follow me!”

I say: (in German) “My suitcase is brown, Frau Faphingers case is Green! (I give him my best ‘sorry I don’t have a clue what your going on about face’)

(longer pause)

Cop Says: Arai Wah, You pay, blah, 500 Baht, go !

I Say: (in German) Is that my suitcase, its Brown in colour?”

The Cop (is now sweating really badly in his brown skin tight attire) then pauses as he realises that he has stepped out into the mid day sun from his shady telegraph pole and it ain’t going as planned.!

He moves back from the car and gets on his Walkie Talkie to request assistance from the Big Tea Money Guru back at base.

In Thai he states: “Brother, I have a Farang here does not speak English, does not speak Thai also! What he’s saying I dunno? it’s very very hot sir!”

(Very long pause…radio silent but for a few crackles)

“Nevermind, let the Farang go!” comes the verdict.

The Cop then walks forward and signals via hand gestures’ for me to go.

I stay put and shrug my shoulder pretending not to understand.

“Pai, Pai reow!” he states

I just look at him.

He then starts to walk away back to his shady spot while vigorously indicating that I should pi=s off right now!

So after a few moments I made my way slowly up the Soi to turn around.

Cranked up the sounds and had a celebratory sing-a-long to ‘Don’t You Forget About Me (Simple Minds) as I gave the Cop my best ‘HRH the Queen' like wave.

I share this experience with you not to ridicule the Thais in anyway, shape or fashion (even the BiB).

I love it here and would not want to live anywhere else.

This is just a story of a small success against ‘The System” and we all know how good it feels to have these small successes against ‘The System” be it here or in our own countries of origin.