Seeking Architect / Builder / Project Managers

As the topic says I am seeking information from anyone that can help or has some experience of these matters in Samui. Wud like to build a house on land purchased recently. I have been looking at option of contacting local builders and then trying it that way and separating the job from Architect and builder or looking for a company that provides all services. I was thinking that having separate people some how will help with quality control and having different views to protect my interests. I understand also that system is such to involve a bank and lawyers to have the project payments, staged. Not too interested in paying people up front for them to run off as have heard alot of horror stories around Thailand. Does this happen often in Samui ? Not meaning buying off the plan. I will not be staying in samui for all of construction but can visit so quality management is important, not that as i normally understand it, as soon as you turn your back, something substandard happens, causing problems later.

Would be great to hear some stories from long term residents etc on reputable companies. Or is it best to get in touch with some expat residents community for advise. Will consider all options. Just do not want to get burned..

Understand it takes a long time to get people in court in Thailand for what its worth.

Hows the general market over in samui ? Builders and construction busy ?

Its not a small house I intend to build and also wondered if any idea of costs per sq meter. Looking of course as all for a quality construction and very importantly western standard finishing work in the interior for the right price.

Again if members could recommend the best way to go about it with your experience wud be very glad to hear.

As the topic says I am seeking information from anyone that can help or has some experience of these matters in Samui. Wud like to build a house on land purchased recently. I have been looking at option of contacting local builders and then trying it that way and separating the job from Architect and builder or looking for a company that provides all services. I was thinking that having separate people some how will help with quality control and having different views to protect my interests. I understand also that system is such to involve a bank and lawyers to have the project payments, staged. Not too interested in paying people up front for them to run off as have heard alot of horror stories around Thailand. Does this happen often in Samui ? Not meaning buying off the plan. I will not be staying in samui for all of construction but can visit so quality management is important, not that as i normally understand it, as soon as you turn your back, something substandard happens, causing problems later.

Would be great to hear some stories from long term residents etc on reputable companies. Or is it best to get in touch with some expat residents community for advise. Will consider all options. Just do not want to get burned..

Understand it takes a long time to get people in court in Thailand for what its worth.

Its not a small house I intend to build and also wondered if any idea of costs per sq meter. Looking of course as all for a quality construction and very importantly western standard finishing work in the interior for the right price.

Again if members could recommend the best way to go about it with your experience wud be very glad to hear.

I'm lookin 4 the same thing in next 3-4 months so interested 2 hear how u get on with this .

Wwhat i understand it's not so busy in construction currently. The Baht is changing & this is 4 some positive for others not. Personally 4 me its good as brings costs down.

I'm lookin 4 the same thing in next 3-4 months so interested 2 hear how u get on with this .

Wwhat i understand it's not so busy in construction currently. The Baht is changing & this is 4 some positive for others not. Personally 4 me its good as brings costs down.

Brings down costs........

And the rising price of oil, steel and other comodities doesn't negate that?

Brings down costs........

And the rising price of oil, steel and other comodities doesn't negate that?

All costs r increasing reagrdless, but better 2 hav rising costs along with a more favourable Baht exchange rate than rising costs & a lousy exchange rate. As 4 construction i would guess it is also is dependant on how busy construction companies r locally, if they r very busy then their rates are higher.

R construction companies rushed off their feet in Samui, I think not.

profmil hands down, provided you don't mind the 35,000+baht per sq.m. build cost.

Maple Leaf construction builds many of the hotels on the island as well as literally hundreds of homes like Samui Hillside Village etc.

KoHabitat Property Management handles all of the project management issues as well as maintenance and rental management, so they can arrange for everything from selection of builder to build management and rental management, basically oversee the entire project.

SWR Consruction, they completed many of the luxury Villas, ask for Russel.

Thanks , not sure I wud say its luxury, but we do have a concept in mind. so u know anyone that has used this co ?, have seen some recommendations but no posts about personal experiences ?? Is it so then no pitfalls or co's to watch out for anyone ??

it's far easier to share what you don't have to watch out for, like for example, a completed house, or even people actually working.

imho it is far better to buy a turnkey home here, as there are far too many pitfalls or co's to watch out for since you simply cannot compile all of the horror stories and shady developers here in one forum.

Hi

I am just about to embark on a similar venture. Would be good to share experiences along the way. I am based in Singapore and bought land in Samui 3 years ago. Now decided to take the plunge. Have a good idea how I will approach it but v interested in speaking to people in a similar situation.

Cheers

Gareth

Maple leaf get my vote, not the cheapest but better to do it once properly than keep paying for do overs.

They also have a big selection of completed projects you can look over.

Regarding horror stories, stay away from anything having to do with the CoCo branding.

Maple leaf get my vote, not the cheapest but better to do it once properly than keep paying for do overs.

They also have a big selection of completed projects you can look over.

Regarding horror stories, stay away from anything having to do with the CoCo branding.

Seconed. Only involvement with the coco brand you ever want is possibly the draught John Smiths in the bluesbar. Otherwise, stay out!!

Hi

I am just about to embark on a similar venture. Would be good to share experiences along the way. I am based in Singapore and bought land in Samui 3 years ago. Now decided to take the plunge. Have a good idea how I will approach it but v interested in speaking to people in a similar situation.

Cheers

Gareth

That's real interesting. Maybe you could send me by PM, your email / contact data.

So looking forward to receive it...

• 4 weeks later...

I had a new room built 18 months ago and another one this year, and noticed there has been a large increase in the price of raw materials since last year. We get most stuff like steel and cement from the shop opposite and a bit down from Tesco, seems to be where alot of Thais go.

it is recommended that the Architect and the constructor will not be the same company.

that way they can keep any eye on each other for your benefit.

as other poster have said when signing a contact with the construction company try and expect the rise of building materials due to inflation.

if you do some "shopping around" ask the contracotrs that you wish to evaluate to show you other project that they have completed for 3-4 years ago. that will give you a first hand impression on the qulity of the construction. try also to speak wit the owners and get a feel if they had any problems and if they are happy with the constrction.

good luck

it is recommended that the Architect and the constructor will not be the same company.

that way they can keep any eye on each other for your benefit.

as other poster have said when signing a contact with the construction company try and expect the rise of building materials due to inflation.

if you do some "shopping around" ask the contracotrs that you wish to evaluate to show you other project that they have completed for 3-4 years ago. that will give you a first hand impression on the qulity of the construction. try also to speak wit the owners and get a feel if they had any problems and if they are happy with the constrction.

good luck

Thank you "Highdiver" for the post that helps to confirm what i thought was best way "to keep them separate". For the tip on costs taken note and think these will only keep going up (thanks mustafa). I will ask for some viewings and then confirm they actually did builds it. Its going to be a long process and sorting out (trying to) the good from the bad, but no hurry. Would rather take my time than rush into anything..

Thanks.

contact Archetype in bophut,they are architects and project planners.

tel. no.(66) 77-245-780...................employ local thai architects and french expat project managers.They currently have projects on Samui and also on Phuket.

Know a number of folks who have had troubles with SWR and "Russel's" work quality AND with his selling property by company :o and he is apparently very good at "disappearing" afterwards...careful there mate.

Know a number of folks who have had troubles with SWR and "Russel's" work quality AND with his selling property by company :o and he is apparently very good at "disappearing" afterwards...careful there mate.

Thanks , actually thats quite interesting, did send an email asking for the contact details as interested in starting something and this guy (foreighn name, think uk) came back and said give me all the details but no contact data ,nothing. So I emailed again saying I prefer to meet face to face again. It was answered again but refused to give contact data, so to be honest i did feel it did not seem quite right. Now I read your post... Thanks. Its certainly going to be a journey to get this done.