Taxi's

Sigh !

And in which country will your taxi driver be registered and licenced by a local government that does carry out background checks and ensure that the vehicle being driven is road worthy and is fully insured, covering the fare paying passenger etc.

Compare cost of that insurance (the limits of it's cover) and of the fuel being used etc.

You will see that Thai rates are fair - but not under priced at all.

BTW.

Bangkok Airport/Pattaya approx. 130 Km : Baht 1.300,- including 50 Baht tax.
On a metered taxi this will cost between 750-800 Baht!

Contrary to many others I don't go looking on the 4th floor for a taxi that might take me to Pattaya in the middle of the night.

Not even in daytime as a matter of fact. The rules are 2nd floor official taxi stand and that's what I do. This I do as well in Germany, France, The Netherlands or any other country that I visit. I don't care that the price might be cheaper (could be very costly), and BTW I just made a simple price comparison without ANY comment, no need to get all excited about it. And one more BTW, I've been living in Thailand long enough to know that regulations regarding insurance and registration are different here from those in Germany, and just maybe the rules being different is one of the reasons that I live in Thailand and not in Europe.

No malice intended

cheers

onzestan

Frankfurt Airport/Hotel 12 Km : Euro 28,- = Baht 1.450,- not including tip.

However, in Frankfurt, you'd probably be taking the train into Hbf and then only a short hop to your hotel by taxi. What would that cost? I don't know Frankfurt prices. In Berlin it would be € 2.10 for the train, then maybe € 6 for the taxi depending on where the hotel is. So €10, 500 baht, let's say.

However, in Frankfurt, you'd probably be taking the train into Hbf and then only a short hop to your hotel by taxi. What would that cost? I don't know Frankfurt prices. In Berlin it would be € 2.10 for the train, then maybe € 6 for the taxi depending on where the hotel is. So €10, 500 baht, let's say.

Excuse me for being a total idiot for preferring the comfort of a taxi over dragging my suitcases around the train station.

I'm 68 BTW and I think I have earned the right to prefer my creature comforts over cheapness.

cheers

onzestan

Hi :o

But in Germany (where i am from) the taxi is likely a Benz, or a Audi or other upper-class type of car. Not a rattling old Toyota where you have to be scared of it disintegrating at 80 km/h and that has no seat belts in the rear.

Best regards....

Thanh

Auckland NZThe airport to central city taxi fare is approximately NZ$50.00 (1400 baht) to - NZ$65.00 (1625 baht).

Inc airport fee of, last time I used a taxi. about $NZ12.00 (300 baht)

Must be one of the dearest around considering the distance is only around 20 kms.

Edit PS: Melbourne Australia would have cheapest tax, $0. 60c (50 baht)

Edited by Zpete

In the UK East Midlands airport to Derby 12 miles

call a local cab 16 pound about 1100 Baht

take an airport cab 30 pound 3300 Baht

And as for London Heathrow Victoria Coach Station to Heathrow

I was quoted 50 t0 55 pound (3100 to 3300 )

Here Rangsit to Ang-Thong 60km no meter 500 Baht

Excuse me for being a total idiot for preferring the comfort of a taxi over dragging my suitcases around the train station.

I'm 68 BTW and I think I have earned the right to prefer my creature comforts over cheapness.

cheers

onzestan

One of my "creature comforts" is a seatbelt. In a country where life is cheap and drunk drivers copious, I'd pay double or triple for taxis that had them, but that's not usually an option in LOS.

I don't at all think you're an idiot for preferring a taxi to the train.

I do wonder about anybody who prefers a taxi without seatbelts to a taxi with seatbelts (or a train), simply because the former is significantly cheaper than the latter.

Amazing how some posters react to a simple observation. I just made a price comparison for taxi's in 2 countries.

I was going to add the difference in price for a coke in the cafetaria but thank god I didn't, because I would have to deal with remarks about wages, unions, quality of water, cleanliness, environmental issues, religion etc.etc.etc.

I'm also not going to mention the friendliness (or rudeness), the weather, the long distances etc.

Good incentive to stop posting useful information on this board, for you'll never know how much flack you're going to receive.

cheers

onzestan

Auckland NZThe airport to central city taxi fare is approximately NZ$50.00 (1400 baht) to - NZ$65.00 (1625 baht).

Must be one of the dearest around considering the distance is only around 20 kms.

You can get the bus for considerably cheaper to Auckland airport.

You can get the bus for considerably cheaper to Auckland airport.

In most cases that would be " Busses "---Not too practical if you have cases to lug about-----I always call a door to airport Shuttle mini bus- Last time $35nz -- appox 850 baht for a 45-50 min trip. That was before the oil prices started going north

Bucko ----West Auckland NZ

IIRC they buses do a fairly broad circuit, so you shouldn't have to travel far to find its route. I remember thinking I'd need to leave loads of time, but it all went very smoothly and quickly and I was kicking my heals and the airport for hours. Weird city, Auckland.

Amazing how some posters react to a simple observation. I just made a price comparison for taxi's in 2 countries.

I was going to add the difference in price for a coke in the cafetaria but thank god I didn't, because I would have to deal with remarks about wages, unions, quality of water, cleanliness, environmental issues, religion etc.etc.etc.

I'm also not going to mention the friendliness (or rudeness), the weather, the long distances etc.

Good incentive to stop posting useful information on this board, for you'll never know how much flack you're going to receive.

cheers

onzestan

:o

Yeah but no taxi driver will leave the meter on for a journey of that length. He has to get back to Bangkok alone, remember.

Same journey in the UK (again, would always be off the meter there too) would be well over 100 pounds I'd imagine. Bangkok taxis really are extremely cheap.

Never pay more than 500THB for a taxi from airport to Suk and the driver has to pay the tolls for this amount.

Never pay anything other than what is on the METER. Airport - Suk including tolls max 320THB worst case. I never understand people who do not insist on the meter for ALL journeys.

Edited by dekka007

Never pay anything other than what is on the METER. Airport - Suk including tolls max 320THB worst case. I never understand people who do not insist on the meter for ALL journeys.

It's because I am tired and impatient when I have just spent 15-20hrs travelling. When going around Bangkok, I am happy to keep trying until I get a cabbie that will do the trip on meter (although outside Pantip plaza, I usually give up as there is always a big Q for the taxis there).

It's because I am tired and impatient when I have just spent 15-20hrs travelling. When going around Bangkok, I am happy to keep trying until I get a cabbie that will do the trip on meter (although outside Pantip plaza, I usually give up as there is always a big Q for the taxis there).

How common is it for taxi drivers to play the "forget to switch the meter on game"? I've only had one so far that needed to be reminded a few times.

I just took a 10 km taxi ride on the outskirts of Indianapolis Indiana. $22.50 (742 baht). Scale that up to 100 km (x 10) and you get $225 USD. Use 33 baht for one USD and you get 7,420 baht.

The best buy from swampi to Pattaya is still one of the bus services such as Bell. 150 baht is a hel_l of a price and once you get to Pattaya they will put you in a mini van and take you to your hotel. Heck, the cheap flights I take often get me into swampi at 2 am. I have always taken a taxi at that time down to Pattay, but quite frankly, I am patient when I take my 30 day vacations and next trip I may just wait until the 6 am bus. I am sure I can find something to do for a few hours. I am always so fascinated the second I land in the LOS. I take everything in.

Yes, the Bell bus service is stellar for the price. I actually see buses down to pattaya as being less stressful than taking a taxi, as it's far easier to sleep/relax, read a book or spread out if the bus isn't full.

The bus back to the airport is also superb.

Just a short comparison:

cheers

onzestan

COME TO KOH SAMUI -AIRPORT TO HOME 3.5 KMS -BHT 600(WEL HE TRIED ANYWAY)

In the last month, I have taken taxis from airport to the city in the following cities:

Chicago: Fare (including tip) was around $40 or 1300 baht. Crappy old cars and pungent drivers.

Tokyo: Don't even think about it. The fare is US$300 up. Noone ever uses them. Instead, you can take a train or a bus for 3000 yen or around 1000 baht.

Singapore: Very very nice. Was lucky enough to get the luxury Mercedes cab (it's luck of the draw). Cost was S$17 - $20, including tip.

Manila: This used to be a real hassle with fixed fare coupons and real old bone-rattler cars, similar to those common in Bangkok 5 years ago. But there is a new service of brand new Yellow airport taxi meter taxis. The rates are a little higher than the street taxis, but worth it. I think the flagfall is 70 pesos, instead of 35. I paid less than 200 peso to my Makati hotel although the route is much shorter than in Bkk.

Brings it home doesn't it, I hate to think what a cab from Heathrow would cost :o

Taxi from heathrow to where?

From my home in the UK to heathrow roughly 130kms costs 80GBP so whats thats roughly...5200 baht.

Sigh !

And in which country will your taxi driver be registered and licenced by a local government that does carry out background checks and ensure that the vehicle being driven is road worthy and is fully insured, covering the fare paying passenger etc.

Compare cost of that insurance (the limits of it's cover) and of the fuel being used etc.

You will see that Thai rates are fair - but not under priced at all.

BTW.

Yes but they will say you have to pay for the return trip, i think thats what the taxis drivers say as a rule dont they on a long distance trip? I went to ban phe in a taxi, the standard charge is 2000 baht. he kept his meter running and if i remember rightly it got to about 1300 baht.