Coffee Plantation On Way To Cr

northernThaiguy

Hi, guys.

I'm new to this forum, but used to live in Chiang Mai, and am currently (unfortunately) in the US. About 10 years ago, I met a fellow who grew coffee in one of the Queen's forests in a national park somewhere on the north side of the road from CM to Chiang Rai. He used to ship it to California and got a fantastic price for it then because of the variety he was growing.

I need to get in touch with him again. Anyone know who this is? Is he still there? It was somewhere past the restaurant with all the delicious pies, as I recall....

thanks

I've never been to the pie restaurant (only went to Chiang Rai once, back when I was first in country, and didn't know what the heck I was doing), but several folks told me it's on the road from CM to Chiang Rai, about 1/2 way up there, on the right side of the road as you're heading northeast. They had all kinds of pies - some type of berry pies were the favorites! Wish I could have made it!

Speaking of pies, there used to be a little restaurant called something like "Love at First Bite" one block south of the main bridge by the Community Church, and then in the soy about 1/2 block - it was on the right, and her pies were delicious, too.

The OP might have been referring to the Charin Resort. They had nice (but rather pricey) pies and pastries. Wasn't known for their coffee though.

I've never been to the pie restaurant (only went to Chiang Rai once, back when I was first in country, and didn't know what the heck I was doing), but several folks told me it's on the road from CM to Chiang Rai, about 1/2 way up there, on the right side of the road as you're heading northeast. They had all kinds of pies - some type of berry pies were the favorites! Wish I could have made it!

Speaking of pies, there used to be a little restaurant called something like "Love at First Bite" one block south of the main bridge by the Community Church, and then in the soy about 1/2 block - it was on the right, and her pies were delicious, too.

Doi Chang Coffee sounds like great coffee, but this isn't the coffee plantation I had in mind. A farang living there in the national park brought seedlings in, and handed them out to the villagers in the area. He bought all the beans from them, warehoused them, roasted them, and shipped them out. They must have been pretty good beans - he told me that he was getting $15 US for them in California, when the average beans were going for around $3-5.

Sorry - just occurred to me that things might have changed in the 10+ years since I talked to this guy. Perhaps this farang got the thing going, and then the villagers started handling it???

Couple of Canadians involved in the venture and believe that their head office is in Vancover....somewhere?

Personally I prefer the "Black Thai Roast" from Hill-Koff...or if out and about anything around Bann Mae kampong.... :o

sometimes, I wish my keyboard here in the US would type Thai !

Why should you wish...you can buy Thai keyboard or stickers for that. Like me 555.

Or just install Thai font and looking for Thai alphabet table, compare it with your Romanize alphabet. You should be able to use Thai font as well.

But i know it consuming time. :o

Edited by konjianghai

do you still have to have the Thai Windows installed? I've got the fonts, if I can use old ones from Win98SE in WinXP, and I think I've got an old keyboard around here, too.... You're right about consuming time - it's been many years since I typed Thai! And with not many Thai friends here to speak with, I "uu baw jaang laew!"

I'll have to install a few of the fonts and see what happens!

Thanks.

Doi Chang coffee is cheaper in the country compare to what they sell in Europe, north America and Japan.

In Thailand for 1 kg you will pay around 1300--1600 Baht per kilo while abroad its 200 or more in US Dollar.

Gee, 1300 Baht to 200 USD! Maybe I'm in the wrong line of work.... :D

I am ready to start a company with you mcgriffith if konjianghai can sell a kg of thai-coffee in US for 200 US!

:o:D:D

Doi Chang coffee is cheaper in the country compare to what they sell in Europe, north America and Japan.

In Thailand for 1 kg you will pay around 1300--1600 Baht per kilo while abroad its 200 or more in US Dollar.

I am ready to start a company with you mcgriffith if konjianghai can sell a kg of thai-coffee in US for 200 US!

LolZ...well thats what i've read from an article (thai one). Start at 60 till 200 US Dollar...this can be real right. I dont know how this coffee business work anyway.

Here is the article they mentioned the pricelist. :D maybe i shouldnt have trust on what was saying.

http://www.thannews.th.com/detialnews.php?...&issue=2196

do you still have to have the Thai Windows installed? I've got the fonts, if I can use old ones from Win98SE in WinXP, and I think I've got an old keyboard around here, too.... You're right about consuming time - it's been many years since I typed Thai! And with not many Thai friends here to speak with, I "uu baw jaang laew!"

I'll have to install a few of the fonts and see what happens!

Thanks.

Thats not important. I'm using Window XP and only install Thai font, work just fine. You'll get use to it after some typin'.

Dont let the language die out of you, its important you keep identity with you, language is one of it. Also not to forget to keep in touch with people backhome. You can join me in CM77.ORG/BOARD webboard. A little community of kon muang on the net. :o

Edited by konjianghai

LolZ...well thats what i've read from an article (thai one). Start at 60 till 200 US Dollar...this can be real right. I dont know how this coffee business work anyway.

Here is the article they mentioned the pricelist. :D maybe i shouldnt have trust on what was saying.

http://www.thannews.th.com/detialnews.php?...&issue=2196

Well, I don't know what the coffee going for now in the US. The fellow I was trying to get back in touch with (which started this thread) told me about 10 years ago - when all other coffee was selling for @$3.00/lb - that he was selling his for around $15/lb in California. He said the beans were so good that they were like a really fine brandy that's mixed w/ rotgut to make your regular drinks. You take just a little bit of the good stuff, and mix it w/ a lot of the regular junk, and end up w/ something that people want to buy. He said that was like his coffee - the buyers would take just a little of his, and mix it w/ a lot of the regular coffee to give it good flavour, and sell it as regular coffee.

Hi, guys.

I'm new to this forum, but used to live in Chiang Mai, and am currently (unfortunately) in the US. About 10 years ago, I met a fellow who grew coffee in one of the Queen's forests in a national park somewhere on the north side of the road from CM to Chiang Rai. He used to ship it to California and got a fantastic price for it then because of the variety he was growing.

I need to get in touch with him again. Anyone know who this is? Is he still there? It was somewhere past the restaurant with all the delicious pies, as I recall....

thanks

You wouldn't be thinking of Uwe & his Duang Dee Hill Tribe coffee would you?