Wp Required For Drivers License?

I spent today collecting an address verification from the US embassy and a medical report in order to apply for a Thai drivers license.

My wife called the Chatuchak DMV (or whatever they call it here) to find out the open hours, during the conversation the women on the phone said that, because I was a foreigner, I required a work permit in order to get a Thai drivers license?

Is this correct or just some typical Thai misinformation?

I will go and try to get one without a WP tomorrow, pray for me :o

dave,

suggest you read the thread on applying for 1 and 5 year driving license.

plenty of recent posts from people with more up to date information than me.

i have no work permit but got a new 5 year license this year.

as you say typical misinformation.

good luck

What they probably meant was that when you hold a valid work permit, you do not have to have the address verification paper (either embassy or immigration issued).

As per the law a non immigrant visa of any type is required though, but I have seen some department of transport upcountry offices issue driver licenses to people on a 30 day visa exempt stay or tourist visas (Pattaya notably)...

BTW, same when registering a car/motorbike, when holding a WP, you only need your passport and the WP to complete all paperwork. No address verification needed (the WP contains both your home address and your address of employment!).

So went down there yesterday and got a motorbike and car license. No WP required.

Nice one.

I want to go get a bike license on Friday, did u get any useful/accurate info from them? I have limited time cos of work, so would u mind telling me what their hours are, and the quickest way to get there from the BTS?

I think i got all the paperwork i need, just got to get that medical check today.

Cheers mate.

So went down there yesterday and got a motorbike and car license. No WP required.

Nice one.

I want to go get a bike license on Friday, did u get any useful/accurate info from them? I have limited time cos of work, so would u mind telling me what their hours are, and the quickest way to get there from the BTS?

I think i got all the paperwork i need, just got to get that medical check today.

Cheers mate.

The car license was quick because they accepted my US (Maine state) drivers license, so i did not have to do the written test or driving test.

However for the bike license i did have to do both of these tests. There is not much waiting in line (they have a separate cubical for foreigners), but it is quite a long process and it took me from 11:30-3:30 (hour lunch in middle) to get my 2 licenses.

If you arrive at 1pm for just a bike license you should be done with all the tests and have your card by 3 or 3:30 (they close at 3:30).

Nice one.

Cheers mate.

The car license was quick because they accepted my US (Maine state) drivers license, so i did not have to do the written test or driving test.

However for the bike license i did have to do both of these tests. There is not much waiting in line (they have a separate cubical for foreigners), but it is quite a long process and it took me from 11:30-3:30 (hour lunch in middle) to get my 2 licenses.

If you arrive at 1pm for just a bike license you should be done with all the tests and have your card by 3 or 3:30 (they close at 3:30).

OK, thanks.

You should have a Non Imm visa, International Drive License, Certificate of living (letter from immigration) 2 Pics and some Healtcertivicate from some Clinic, which you can get for about 100 Baht. Should be in one day finish. No test required.

You should have a Non Imm visa, International Drive License, Certificate of living (letter from immigration) 2 Pics and some Healtcertivicate from some Clinic, which you can get for about 100 Baht. Should be in one day finish. No test required.

No need for the Pics actually, they have a digital camera setup, and take your picture right there.

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have a question.

I got a 5 year driving license last year, along with an international license. But I'm working in South Korea now so don't have a Thai visa of any sort.

Well, the international license expired this month, will I be able to renew it using only the 5 year Thai driving license. I'm sensing no at the moment, but you never know.

The reason I want to renew in Thailand is, I'll be on holiday in a couple of weeks in Bangkok and will have the time.

My son is coming over and needs to get his bike license in CNX.

He understands that he needs his passport, a letter of residency & a doctor's certificate.

The riding test will not be aproblem but the written test could be.

Is there an equivelent of the Highway Code available in English which he could study for the test?

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I have a question.

I got a 5 year driving license last year, along with an international license. But I'm working in South Korea now so don't have a Thai visa of any sort.

Well, the international license expired this month, will I be able to renew it using only the 5 year Thai driving license. I'm sensing no at the moment, but you never know.

The reason I want to renew in Thailand is, I'll be on holiday in a couple of weeks in Bangkok and will have the time.

According to the info I picked up from Chiang Mai provincial land transport office, you do need some type of Non-Immigrant visa for the international licence. See the full text in my post from yesterday in the pinned licences section.