Finding Teaching Jobs

Woofer

Yes, that is the primary website, and you go to the jobs site there. Dave's ESL forum may also have one, but I imagine it is far smaller. The trouble with ajarn's website - for those of us who have been here more than a couple of years - is that the better jobs at the better schools are not always advertised. Word of mouth, recommendation, local reputation, connections, etc., get you the job. But for a newcomer, that's the best place. If you attend a TEFL course here, they will help you find some schools, too.

Beware, though. Most of the advertising schools are clueless about selecting a teacher or managing one.

Yes, that is the primary website, and you go to the jobs site there. Dave's ESL forum may also have one, but I imagine it is far smaller. The trouble with ajarn's website - for those of us who have been here more than a couple of years - is that the better jobs at the better schools are not always advertised. Word of mouth, recommendation, local reputation, connections, etc., get you the job. But for a newcomer, that's the best place. If you attend a TEFL course here, they will help you find some schools, too.

Beware, though. Most of the advertising schools are clueless about selecting a teacher or managing one.

I agree with you PB. The best jobs are obtained through word of mouth etc. I have found that most schools who advertise are poorly managed "institutions" with a very high turnover rate so they are forced to advertise out of desperation. . It is also surprising that many of these schools are being managed by fellow foreigners and not Thais. :o

mizzi, as far as I have seen, very few schools in Thailand are really controlled by farang. Maybe a DOS, or an agency. The agents send you out to clueless schools and try to run interference for you, at best. Interviews held by Thai administrators are often pathetic. I have only been observed during demos, never when I was teaching assigned classes. The bosses trust pimply-faced students' half-sleeping opinions over a professionally measured observation. You may be let go because you did not wai somebody or dress well on a Friday, whilst some w-monger.drunk who cannot teach gets promoted. Or you might get lucky, after 2 or 3 years in the salt mines, and land where kids actually learn.

mizzi, as far as I have seen, very few schools in Thailand are really controlled by farang. Maybe a DOS, or an agency. The agents send you out to clueless schools and try to run interference for you, at best. Interviews held by Thai administrators are often pathetic. I have only been observed during demos, never when I was teaching assigned classes. The bosses trust pimply-faced students' half-sleeping opinions over a professionally measured observation. You may be let go because you did not wai somebody or dress well on a Friday, whilst some w-monger.drunk who cannot teach gets promoted. Or you might get lucky, after 2 or 3 years in the salt mines, and land where kids actually learn.

Point taken PB. I should have said "some" schools. I had a personal experience a little over a year ago with a "designated" administrator who happened to be a foreigner (appointed by Thai administration I am sure) who did not know his a_ss from his elbow and had zero interpersonal skills. Two of my friends teaching in BKK just shared similar experiences with me and felt like they were working under control freaks back in their home countries. I do agree that there are many pathetic Thai administrators and some equally pathetic farang ones, so like working anywhere else it is a hit or miss situation. Peace PB! :o

• 1 month later...

This time of year can be a good period to find jobs in Thailand because there is a lot less competition for the jobs available. You might be able to get into a better school on a one semester deal and then be in pole position for jobs for the next year.

You could also try ajarnjobspace.com as they have a few jobs listed now.

Good luck