Trendy Condominium Studio @ 3m Baht - Ok Price?

I was sent an email offering a 46 sq Meter condo studio in the Trendy condominium building on Sukhumvit 13 for B2,990,000. Is this worthwhile?

Location is great. But the building is just just okay (from what I saw 2 1/2 years ago). The offer includes a free 32" LCD and frig - BFD! (probably worth about B40,000)

For me, easy (and safe) walk to sky train is HUGE plus. Also, being near "tourist" area makes the apartment both attractive to short term renters and tourists.

I actually bought a 2BR apartment in Regent next door a while back, but it doesn't look like it'll be finished for some time (if ever). I was thinking I might use this for a while until that one is complete.

I was sent an email offering a 46 sq Meter condo studio in the Trendy condominium building on Sukhumvit 13 for B2,990,000. Is this worthwhile?

Location is great. But the building is just just okay (from what I saw 2 1/2 years ago). The offer includes a free 32" LCD and frig - BFD! (probably worth about B40,000)

For me, easy (and safe) walk to sky train is HUGE plus. Also, being near "tourist" area makes the apartment both attractive to short term renters and tourists.

I actually bought a 2BR apartment in Regent next door a while back, but it doesn't look like it'll be finished for some time (if ever). I was thinking I might use this for a while until that one is complete.

Sounds good to me, but its hard to say If I cantg see pictures of the condo and the building and views.

But for that price it probably doesnt matter

Have they stopped work on Regent? I bought into Athenee off plan 3+ years ago. We can finally move in next month.

I don't even remember when I bought. Approx. 3 years ago I think. It was supposed to be delivered end last year. Now, I think I'd be lucky to get it end of next (when they claim it'll be ready).

I think I looked at Athenee. Seemed like a good place too. I bought into Regent because it's so close to Nana station and because the project has a HUGE pool (I like swimming laps).

But, if I'd known they were going to be this delayed (IF they even complete), I don't think I would have bought!

Have they stopped work on Regent? I bought into Athenee off plan 3+ years ago. We can finally move in next month.

I don't even remember when I bought. Approx. 3 years ago I think. It was supposed to be delivered end last year. Now, I think I'd be lucky to get it end of next (when they claim it'll be ready).

I think I looked at Athenee. Seemed like a good place too. I bought into Regent because it's so close to Nana station and because the project has a HUGE pool (I like swimming laps).

But, if I'd known they were going to be this delayed (IF they even complete), I don't think I would have bought!

Henry, I wouldn't buy there but then again it may be convenient for you to look out the window at the concrete eye-soar that is suppose to be the Regent. :o

Last I read, the Regent has gone tits-up...hasn't constructin completely stopped right now while some sort of work-out is done by the developer?

As for the Trendy...if you can stand the laughs on people's faces when you say you live at the "Trendy" condo and think that US$ 100,000 is a good price to pay for something the size of a hotel room...then by all means, sink more money into the Bangkok condo market. The developers count on people like you showing up every minute to keep the game of musical condos going...until it stops!

I think you can find much better projects than the Trendy, the Trendy is a grade C at best, refurb with some things rumoured to be hanging over it (and I know nothing except that they have some legally questionable elements as do many projects and what I read here as it isn't really my thing).

But that price is not so bad I guess, however I'd be looking at say something in one of the mid market brands which would be a bit further away, but a lot better quality.

The Trendy has shown its class by at least one of the groundfloor retail premises being taken over by a bar, and at least one of the apartments being used as a massage parlour.

Go figure.

Consider the soi (lower Suk), i mean source.

The Trendy has shown its class by at least one of the groundfloor retail premises being taken over by a bar, and at least one of the apartments being used as a massage parlour.

Go figure.

Ah Bendix old bean, you and i know these sort of facilities are what attracted many to the area in the first place, now its on offer without having to leave your apartment complex, how convienent, what a marketing ploy.

The only people who would now buy in this complex would be like minded fellow travellers, my cheque book is staying closed.

I agree with NotNew2You about the name of the condo. What idiot came up with the name "Trendy?" I already mentally prepared myself for constantly having to add "yeah, it's a stupid name" to every time mention where of I'm staying.

Also, I realize that this building is in the middle of the "tourist ghetto" but that makes it convenient for travellers. One stop shopping. I didn't realize about a massage parlour in the building. That doesn't bode well.

If I were to buy, I'd buy this as a second living quarters inside the city. I'd personally live either in the suburbs or Phuket and wanted someplace that I could use when I was in the city, or when guests came. For myself, the fact that I probably wouldn't need my car while at the house - because of proximity of Skytrain and restaurants appeals to me. For guest, I think they wouldn't be intimidated to walk out on the streets. For many westerners, coming to a place like Bangkok the first time in your life and living deep down one of the sois could be an intimidating experience.

Anyway, thanks for all the input.

Seems like the basic conclusion seems to be that for the location, the price is okay. Not knowing the current market there, this was my primary concern.

Cheers everyone.

Go figure.

Well, in that case it will bring huge monthly savings, no meter Taxi hassle any more....

Trendy is a great location and the studios are fine.

They're small but fit out well and look good when finished.

Good place to live or let.

But the 3m baht bargain offer units are in the darkest corner with an immediate "view" of another building....dismal !

Thanks. I'm going to take a look at them next week.