Registering The Wedding In Thailand

I have got married with my thai spouse in Europe and I have already translated the certificated in Thai in the embassy and brought the documents here for registering the wedding in Thailand.

I have been told I have to go to the Minster of Foreign Affairs to put a stamp first.

I cannot locate this place...anyone can confirm I have to go there, what I have to do, the address and the word in Thai for the taxi , thanks !!

Edited by jdrake72

I have got married with my thai spouse in Europe and I have already translated the certificated in Thai in the embassy and brought the documents here for registering the wedding in Thailand.

I have been told I have to go to the Minster of Foreign Affairs to put a stamp first.

I cannot locate this place...anyone can confirm I have to go there, what I have to do, the address and the word in Thai for the taxi , thanks !!

Hello Jdrake72,

You would have found it faster by typing into Google instead of here.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2633.php

Department of Consular Affairs 123 Chaengwattana Rd., Tungsonghong Laksi Bangkok 10212 Tel.(662) 981-7171

This is 10 minutes from the old airport.

You should get processed easily as you have already got the translation stamped and certified by an embassy.

PS, This office will create and stamp the document which you will then need to take to her local Ampur office; Hope she's not from too far away.

Good Luck

Richard

Edited by RJJ

You need to go to the legalization department and I think the cost was 900 baht (don't be surprised if it is higher; I should remember I did this 3 months ago).

Ignore the leeches outside who will offer everything from photocopy/translation service to processing of your application.

All they will do is take you to the desk upstairs, then demand a fee for helping you.

Richard

If you are legally married in Europe is there any need to register the marriage in Thailand? Will they even allow that? I believe Thailand recognizes foreign marriages. I think all you need to do is go to your wife’s home amphur show them the translation and change her status to married (Mrs) and add her new surname (if she has taken yours) on the Tambien Baan.

To register a marriage you will need to get an eligible to marry certificate from your embassy, which may bring up problems as you are already married.

TH

If you are married in Europe, the papers should have been legalised in Europe!

You have to get the translation before you go any further.

With the translation and copy plus the original of your home country and copy the route is:

First step: Your own ministry of foreign affairs

Second step: The consular affairs of the Thailand Embassy in your own country.

The MFA in Bangkok "does not know" the signatures of the foreign authorities, while the Thai Embassy does!

If you have Thai papers to go to your own country, the route is MFA first and own Embassy second.

Because the MFA "knows"the signatures on the Thai form, and the Embassy knows the MFA signatures.

Thanks.So I am not sure if I have to go there or not.

I explain little bit more why I am doing that:

I got married with my Thai spouse in Europe and I have already translated the marriage certificate to Thai language there, stamped at the Thai embassy overthere and by the local Authority.

Now, I have the marriage document translated into Thai here in my hands and I need it because I will buy a hourse in my spouse 's name but with a contract of usufruct to me. Usufruct is really cheap if for a husband/wife, so I just need it for that, I don t really care if in my spouse's ID card there will be my surname or not.

I need it for the usufruct contract.

So, my question is: besides the translation and the Thai Emabassy stamp, do I need to go to that Minister of Foreign Affairs or not ?

If I can avoid going there, better for me, i wouldn t like to do something I don t really need to.

Thanks for the help

Hello Jdrake72,

You would have found it faster by typing into Google instead of here.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2633.php

Department of Consular Affairs 123 Chaengwattana Rd., Tungsonghong Laksi Bangkok 10212 Tel.(662) 981-7171

This is 10 minutes from the old airport.

You should get processed easily as you have already got the translation stamped and certified by an embassy.

PS, This office will create and stamp the document which you will then need to take to her local Ampur office; Hope she's not from too far away.

Good Luck

Richard

yes it takes about 1 hour and the cost is 800 baht I done it last week

I got married with my Thai spouse in Europe and I have already translated the marriage certificate to Thai language there, stamped at the Thai embassy overthere and by the local Authority.

Now, I have the marriage document translated into Thai here in my hands and I need it because I will buy a hourse in my spouse 's name but with a contract of usufruct to me. Usufruct is really cheap if for a husband/wife, so I just need it for that, I don t really care if in my spouse's ID card there will be my surname or not.

So, my question is: besides the translation and the Thai Emabassy stamp, do I need to go to that Minister of Foreign Affairs or not ?

If I can avoid going there, better for me, i wouldn t like to do something I don t really need to.

Thanks for the help

I was married in Australia and I have an australian wedding certificate I guess it is similar to Europe I had it translated in to thai and went to the australian embassy to certify it, they put a stamp on it after I paid 860 baht and then they told me I have to go back to get the stamp translated

which didn't cost anything but just the hassle going back and then I went to the MFA which took

about about 1 hour and 800 baht again. But I am sure you have to go to the MFA

Thanks for the help

I was married in Australia and I have an australian wedding certificate I guess it is similar to Europe I had it translated in to thai and went to the australian embassy to certify it, they put a stamp on it after I paid 860 baht and then they told me I have to go back to get the stamp translated

which didn't cost anything but just the hassle going back and then I went to the MFA which took

about about 1 hour and 800 baht again. But I am sure you have to go to the MFA

Thanks, but our cases are different in this way: you haven t your wedding certificate stamped by Thai Embassy in Australia but I have done it.

So a Thai authority already had reviewd and certified that document, that s why I am not sure I have to go to MFA.