Shortcut For Speaking Thai

desi

Shortcut for Speaking Thai came highly recommended. And as it was cheap, I purchased it no problem.

Problem is, I can't get it to run on my Mac.

I contacted the company and all they said was, 'we asked a Mac user and they said they ran it by downloading software'.

I asked what software, but, no reply... gee, thanks. Great service...

I have two Macs with pretty much the latest systems. I also have PC emulators and DVD readers on both. Nothing works.

Note: I have Becker's DVD's and they open a DVD Player automatically.

So, does anyone here use Shortcut for Speaking Thai on a Mac? With what?

Shortcut for Speaking Thai came highly recommended. And as it was cheap, I purchased it no problem.

Problem is, I can't get it to run on my Mac.

I contacted the company and all they said was, 'we asked a Mac user and they said they ran it by downloading software'.

I asked what software, but, no reply... gee, thanks. Great service...

I have two Macs with pretty much the latest systems. I also have PC emulators and DVD readers on both. Nothing works.

Note: I have Becker's DVD's and they open a DVD Player automatically.

So, does anyone here use Shortcut for Speaking Thai on a Mac? With what?

Have you tried vlc media player, it seems to open most things

www.videolan.org/

Just had a thought, maybe they are blank, it is not unknown to buy DVD/VCD here and find they have nothing on them or have been burned on paper thin discs. You could take your mac (if it is a laptop) into the shop and get them to try it and then try another set for you).

Edited by gymshark

>> maybe they are blank

I checked the CD's and they do have stuff on them. PC exe files, etc.

(btw - I bought them online from a company here in BK)

>> Try popping them into your DVD player.

I travel a great deal so the idea is to be able to keep learning on the road.

>> vlc media player

Thanks! Downloading now (taking a while as my connection is awful at the moment... any moment actually)

So you can't go in with the emulator and open the .exe files either?

It won't run it for some reason.

(I'm not PC savvy - I only use it for software that won't run on a Mac)

Mind you those emulators can be pretty crap. I have an intel mac now so I can boot up in windows for problem software, maybe you could go into a mac shop, they are all over the place, I had problems with an external drive and they were very helpful, they could at least try and run it on an intel mac and may even be able to recommend a course of action for you, are you in the centre of Bangkok?

Yeah, I heard that, hi speed internet my arse. :o

For the best part of this year, I've been calling to complain.

So they have me run speedtest.net. And I do. Sloooooooooooooowly...

Then we sit and talk about the speed.

Then they call me back the following week and we do it all again.

Nothing ever improves. I just get to sit at my computer and run speedtest while chatting to their diplomatic techs.

This weekend was terrible. I couldn't even open gmail in slow speed. One of my friends said cslox is doing a revamp so that was likely the cause.

A good thing I talked to her as my Mai bpen rai is broken all this week.

Mind you those emulators can be pretty crap. I have an intel mac now so I can boot up in windows for problem software, maybe you could go into a mac shop, they are all over the place, I had problems with an external drive and they were very helpful, they could at least try and run it on an intel mac and may even be able to recommend a course of action for you, are you in the centre of Bangkok?

I have two intels (laptops) and a G5. One laptop uses Parralles Desktop, the other reboots as a Windows computer. None will run the CDs.

I'm close enough to Paragon (they have a decent Mac shop with helpful employees). But I'll try this download first to see if that's the problem.

I have two intels (laptops) and a G5. One laptop uses Parralles Desktop, the other reboots as a Windows computer. None will run the CDs.

I'm close enough to Paragon (they have a decent Mac shop with helpful employees). But I'll try this download first to see if that's the problem.

I've never had a windows programme that won't run on the intel mac, I guess there might be a problem with the disc then, sorry can't be much more help. Good luck.

Are you running Safari 3 or Safari 4? Version 4 is much faster.

Firefox... and it's downloaded but not working.

Error on PC emulator - error code roxio 80040265

I'm tracking it down now...

"Shortcut" is put out by a company called MIS. I was recently reviewing another MIS book, 3 VCDs and 1 CD. The CD, with mp3 files worked on my PC but the VCDs did not. They did work on my DVD/VCD player but turned out to be mearely a Power Point presentation of what was in the book. Very disappointing and possiblly fraudulant advertising as I was expecting a video production.

BTW and FYI, there are no shortcuts to learning Thai.

A pity about your disappointment. Now that I have different software, this one is running fine. It's not perfect (the graphics are fuzzy so you can't read some of the Thai). But at this price, you get what you pay for. And as I'm throwing everything against a wall everyday (reading, listening, writing, viewing), it suits my needs.