Mexican Food

shiva

Not in Bangkok. There are a couple of places that have been around a while (Senior Pico's et al), but they are awful beyond my power to put their awfulness into words. At Bourbon Street, Doug has a Mexican buffet on Tuesday nights that'a about your best bet. To be honest, it's pretty bad too, sort of El Patio frozen entree quality, but in Bangkok it's the only real option.

Down in Pattaya, Tequilla Reef used to have the best Mexican food I've ever tasted outside of the continental USA. But that was when Rob was in the kitchen every night. I think he sold his interest and is mostly in Bangkok these days running a blues bar. The last time I was in Tequilla Reef it, too, was pretty bad. There are a couple of other places in Pattaya, but they've always been terrible. Nobody but a Brit would eat in any of them.

:o

Not in Bangkok. There are a couple of places that have been around a while (Senior Pico's et al), but they are awful beyond my power to put their awfulness into words. At Bourbon Street, Doug has a Mexican buffet on Tuesday nights that'a about your best bet. To be honest, it's pretty bad too, sort of El Patio frozen entree quality, but in Bangkok it's the only real option.

Down in Pattaya, Tequilla Reef used to have the best Mexican food I've ever tasted outside of the continental USA. But that was when Rob was in the kitchen every night. I think he sold his interest and is mostly in Bangkok these days running a blues bar. The last time I was in Tequilla Reef it, too, was pretty bad. There are a couple of other places in Pattaya, but they've always been terrible. Nobody but a Brit would eat in any of them.

Its all the bloody same just folded differently :D

Seriousley though i like mexican food (although i'm a brit :D ) here in pattaya there are several places that do mexican stuff, some of it is ok.

Robs not in the blues bar anymore he was only there for a few months (i think the owner shafted him from what i heard) not sure where he is now.

After countless years in South Texas and two years in southernmost Mexico, I moved to Chiang Mai. The only place that even pretends to serve Mexican food is the Art Cafe at Tha Pae Gate, and it was terrible. There's a Spanish restaurant in the south part of Phuket Town, but I didn't dare try it.

Go to a real Western supermarket (like Rim Ping in ChiangMai) and look for brands like El Patio, nacho-flavored Doritos, etc. Then take it home, and try to prepare it. But you'll pay 3 to 5 times what it costs in south Texas.

They may not have much good Thai food in Houston, either, but I passed up a free meal there for fear that it might be real, pet maak Thai food, even though the cook from Lamphun said she could make it mai pet (they lie about that, all the time, in Lamphun).

In Pattaya,Tequila reef is pretty good...The only thing is they do not have a good vent for the kitchen and the smell of tortilla is overwhelming...There is also Kevins' place on Soi Pattayaland...The Blue Parrot, the food is alright there drowned with a couple of beers....

The other option is too buy your own ingredients and make yourself a mexican feast at home....You can buy taco shells, spices, beans, nacho dips(bean,cheese), salsas, tortillas, fajitas, chilli....in Carrefour, foodland, friendship....Nacho cheese in Friendship....Mix up some Frozen margaritas (1 part curacao triple sec/1.5 part tequila gold/1part lime juice).... :o

Blue Parrot in Pataya = Blech!!!

I was in Pattaya recently and tried it the Mexican food at Blue Parrot. It was only a bit better than Tia Maria on Soi 23 in Bangkok which is the worst Mx food I have ever tasted in my life. Will have to try Tequilla Reef next time I am in Pattaya.

Can't believe that Tia Maria is still open-- must be a front for a cash laundering scam because it sure isn't a restaurant..

...............Can't believe that Tia Maria is still open-- must be a front for a cash laundering scam because it sure isn't a restaurant..

You may be on to something, farangene. When I worked at the IRS in the USA, one of the revenue agents heard which Chinese restaurants in our neighborhood were on the suspected list of money launderers. The food was great, and a full meal with iced tea something like $2.99! They must have sold the food at cost. The waitstaff wasn't from the right part of China (illegals from western China) and the cook and dishwasher were illegal Hispanics!

Do you think a decent Mexican restaurant in Pattaya or perhaps Koh Samui would fly? I'm from New Mexico, I know good chicano food when I taste it, and if I have to cook it at home, I can cook a mean enchilada. If I can get corn tortillas..

I didn't know Thailand had a Foodland..they are all over here on Maui...and I suppose the mainland.

There have been MILLIONS of posts about finding good Mexican food in SEA, and the general consensus is that there ISN'T any.

A good Mexican restaurant would fly for sure, but I'm not sure that we are all looking for the same kind of Mexican food.

I would pay $100 US for a real $3.00 California, San Francisco, Mission Street, super-Burrito -of any kind- but I'm not that hip on Tex-Mex, for example, although, I've only had it over here, so I might be more enthusiastic if I'd ever had the real thing.