Wanted!

monty

Hi,

Two days ago two of my PC's got fried by lightning.

They were socket 939 based boards, powered by FX-53 AMD cpu's. Both had 4GB of RAM (DDR) on board and were running legal copies of Vista.

Basically only the mainboards are fried, the lightning somehow entered on my LAN network, I assume this as most of my network devices got fried. Everything is behind UPS (very fancy 3.5 KVA system).

Yesterday went to TukCom trying to fine a new socket 939 mainboard, and of course no luck at all.

Now the FX-53 currently is outperformed by most of the faster core2duo CPU's, but the FX-53 is plenty fast for what I need, and replacing with the intel gear would mean new CPU, mainboard and DDR2 ram.

Which is expensive and leaves me with some nice capable stuff sitting on a shelf :o

Add to that the hassles of re-validating Vista, if at all possible, since the hardware change would be almost complete. Not sure they are willing to do that for a OEM Vista install. I do know they won't make trouble if just one part gets changed.

Soooo, anybody have a spare socket 939 board lying around? With PCIe slot for my video card...

Let me know, can pay cash, paypal, whatever. Obviously preferably in Thailand....

Thanks very mucho :D

Could you supply the Brand and model of the mainboard? I'll check with one of my technicians who has a computer shop on the side to see what he has. The board will have to match pretty closely (Northbridge and Southbridge chipsets) for the validation to stay in tact.

Could you supply the Brand and model of the mainboard? I'll check with one of my technicians who has a computer shop on the side to see what he has. The board will have to match pretty closely (Northbridge and Southbridge chipsets) for the validation to stay in tact.

Asus A8N-e

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmen...2=15&l3=171

The same would be easy of course, although I'm pretty sure if I only change the mainboard Microsoft will allow re- validation with a bit of an explanation to their call center in Singapore...

If no luck I'll have to travel to Bkk, hardly any 2nd hand stuff in Pattaya :o

I wouldn't count on being able to revalidate an OEM vista after a motherboard change. The validation is tied to the motherboard and by their information you would not be entitled to a legal validation. THe changing three items or so applies only to full retail software.

Asus A8N-e

http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmen...2=15&l3=171

The same would be easy of course, although I'm pretty sure if I only change the mainboard Microsoft will allow re- validation with a bit of an explanation to their call center in Singapore...

If no luck I'll have to travel to Bkk, hardly any 2nd hand stuff in Pattaya :o

No problem with reactivate OEM Vista via phonecall! Just tell that you was infected by Virus!

The problem is that you need to reinstall vista completly if use an OEM. The Repair function of Vista works for the boot files only but not like XP were you could run a reinstall via the 2. repair option.

But if the MB and BIOS are the exact same as the broken, the chance is 50/50 that a simple restart works after change of the MB.

Cheers.

Unfortunate the PM system didn't work at the moment, so I can't send an PM.

Monty could you please call me at my handy and if you didn't have the number, ask raro for it!

Cheers.

Hi, i have a extra MSI K8N Neo4 board am in bangkok. Have been looking to update my 939 processor, but have had no luck finding one.

Hi,

Two days ago two of my PC's got fried by lightning.

They were socket 939 based boards, powered by FX-53 AMD cpu's. Both had 4GB of RAM (DDR) on board and were running legal copies of Vista.

Basically only the mainboards are fried, the lightning somehow entered on my LAN network, I assume this as most of my network devices got fried. Everything is behind UPS (very fancy 3.5 KVA system).

Yesterday went to TukCom trying to fine a new socket 939 mainboard, and of course no luck at all.

Now the FX-53 currently is outperformed by most of the faster core2duo CPU's, but the FX-53 is plenty fast for what I need, and replacing with the intel gear would mean new CPU, mainboard and DDR2 ram.

Which is expensive and leaves me with some nice capable stuff sitting on a shelf :o

Add to that the hassles of re-validating Vista, if at all possible, since the hardware change would be almost complete. Not sure they are willing to do that for a OEM Vista install. I do know they won't make trouble if just one part gets changed.

Soooo, anybody have a spare socket 939 board lying around? With PCIe slot for my video card...

Let me know, can pay cash, paypal, whatever. Obviously preferably in Thailand....

Thanks very mucho :D

Edited by Onyxia