Phuket Proposed To Become Special Economic Zone

george

Phuket proposed to become special economic zone

PHUKET: -- The government is planning to develop Thailand's southern resort province of Phuket to become a 'special economic zone'.

Deputy Prime Minister Pinij Jarusombat raised the idea at a workshop on 'investment strategies, industrial estates of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) and one tambon, one product (OTOP) scheme's goods', held in the country's famous eastern resort city of Pattaya yesterday.

The workshop was attended by chief executive officer (CEO) governors from across the country.

"I consider that Phuket should be upgraded as a special economic zone to be directly supervised by the country's prime minister due to its high potential", Mr. Pinij told the workshop, entitled "CEO Retreat" in which he chaired.

"It is also anticipated to help boost Thailand's competitiveness and tourism in the international community", he noted.

The proposed plan is expected to be implemented by the next government which wins the forthcoming general election in Februay 2005, according to the deputy prime minister.

Mr. Pinij also suggested that the country's all provinces promote and develop new SMEs whose products could substitute the country's imported goods.

"If Thai SMEs are strong, we can reduce our imported items and will be less affected by any fluctuation of world oil prices", he noted.

He suggested that Thai businesses emphasize on upgrading their products and services' quality to enhance their efficiency and competitiveness.

He disclosed that Thailand had planned to overtake Singapore as the region's business centre over the next four years.

--TNA 2004-11-25

• 1 month later...

Someone must broach the subject, how will the dissaster affect the proposal.

Some say 2 years plus before tourists even think about returning.

How about real estate prices, must be affected.

Sorry for all that have died and who have lost loved ones, horrible event.

Property prices tourism will take almost 3/4 years to recover here, some may never again rise from this crisis.

I saw a picture of people on the beach (upto their knees in sand and mud) the TV said these Thais were looking for bodies, infact they were sifting for Gold as the 2/3 Gold shops on the front had been washed out.

Awfull mess with little co-ordination.

Edited by Enforcer

People are quick to forget, toursim will be back quicker than you think.

Prague was full of water two years ago- Florida had hurricanes , within one season people return,

At the moment it is hard to imagine normality returning, but it will. All within A year.

I was amazed to see most of the bars on Bangla rd open on new years eve. Subdued atmosphere for sure (which is only fitting), but you know a huge effort went into the cleanup.

Patong, Kata-Karon, Nai-harn, Rawai, Chalong all cleaned up very fast. The new construction of my favorite restaurant in Chalong is already going up.

I'm sure the sadness for those affected will linger a while. But life goes on. I took a swim yesterday after nearly a week off.

Phuket proposed to become special economic zone

"I consider that Phuket should be upgraded as a special economic zone to be directly supervised by the country's prime minister due to its high potential", Mr. Pinij told the workshop

Of course! Monopolies must be secured! :o