Have you read this...?

okey kokey

Hi

I found this on the internet for you:

Review by a reader from London, England :

An extraordinary book, it introduces outsiders to the most astonishing world of King Bhumipol, the King of Thailand, whose sacrifice and hard work could never be sufficiently celebrated. For Thai readers, this book will only increase your existing admiration and appreciation for the King, who has always made great contribution to the well-being of his people but always "puts the gold behind the Buddha".

It is a shame that this book is not allowed to be published in Thailand, the remarkable history of which has never been wholely revealed to its own people.

This book thus provides a valuable opportunity to Thai people to appreciate their own history even more. Nobody truly knows the King. Not until they have read this book.

Hi

I took a further look at "Editorial Review" - Synopsis.

I consider (after living 18 years in Thailand), that these two lines would be enough to ban the book in Thailand.

The first line is a very sensitive issue in Thailand, and should absolutely not be spoken about here.

"The King and I" - (Yul Brynner), has never been allowed to be performed in Thailand too.

Expats club, thanks for the info, have you any thoughts on why this book is not allowed to be published in Thailand...?

A friend tells me that the author spent two years inside the palace watching what goes on and ... well, he saw too much. He saw how the King supposedly gets involved in day-to-day politics.

I'd love to read it. Shame it's out of print.

Roger 13...

ExpatsClub is:

Joern Nielsen

Founder

Bangkok Expats Club

...the ORIGINAL Bangkok Expats Club

Hi Joern

OK - Sorry I got you mixed up ...

I have amended my posting

But - why didn't you put your name on your posting?

You put a personal post under a Club Name?

Roger

The author of the book shot himself in the foot with his many inaccuracies about Thailand. For example he talks about the generals taking visitors to Patpong in 1960 - there wasn't any Patpong then.  That is just one of many examples.   I do however, believe that he did have a number of interviews with His Majesty.  It wasn't long after the book was written that the king did a translation of one of Stevenson's books, "A Man Called Intrepid" which quickly became a best seller here, even though it was not a very well-written book. As for why the book is banned in Thailand, I cannot say here in detail (or I'd be commiting the crime as well), only that the book commits Lese majestie, and the author could end up in a Thai jail for some of the things he said about certain people (not His Majesty).

Read this book in hardback (first issue?) a few years back. Very good book I thought. Covers the life of Mama (King's mother) on down - some good photos too.

Agree with CaughtInTheAct, there are some parts of this book which are definatly not to be mentioned in Thailand - or here. This, I would think, is the real reason behind the ban - a part of history that Thais would like to forget and never, ever, mention.

It also mentions relationships between British monarchy - strained for certain unmentionable reasons early on, but friendly with QE2's ascention to the throne.

Good read - though read it with a scense of Scepticism.

Got mine while in the UK from Amzon.co.uk - just checked and they still have stock.

I have never taken it to Thailand, an would suggest the same.

If you do read it, you will see the 'unmentionables' I said above, I would keep schtum while in LOS - quote at your peral.