Pong Nam Ron - Prum

thailand11

Its not too bad if you're in no hurry to get to Siem Riep as you have to go to Pailin first and then on to Battambang from where you can go on either to Siem Riep or Phnom Penh.

As with all Thai/Cambodian borders, get your visa in advance to minimise all hassles at the crossing. As yet this crossing is no where near as bad as Poipet but scams are always a hassle.

To get there take a bus from Ekkamai or Moh Chit to Chanthaburi. From Chanthaburi take either a Sorngthaew from the market or a Buriram bound bus. These will drop you about 2 miles from the border.

On the Cambodian side use share taxis for your onward travel.

i kindly ask you some informations about this new border, situated inside chantaburi's province.

thailand11

Are you on a visa run, if so, which visa do you have?

I went to check out this border a few months back and was told by the OIC that they couldn't process my visa in the same way that Poipet could.

I tried to get him to elaborate but still came away confused.:o

He was an ex Poipet (Thai Immi officer).

Needless to say, I did not cross into Cambo.

It would be an ideal alternative border for visa runs, sealed roads all the way from BKK and sparse traffic and a nice setting.

Anyone use this crossing for visa runs? I was on a Type O. (Aug 2004)

George: Maybe this thread could be moved to Visa runs etc.?

I went there on a visa run ( with the " Visa Shop " ) on monday the 8th of November.

It was much much better than Aranyaprathet, no beggers no kids no other tourists/ visa runners at all. I think (could be wrong ) everyone of us was on 30 day visa's the imigration officers on both sides where very friendly,

all smiles it probably made thier day to have some work to do :o

I've heard that they are starting to realise that there is money to be made from Westerners using the border and are trying the 1300B sting they use at Klong Yai/Poipet etc.

The best thing you can do is to get your visa (US$20) when you are in BKK (they are valid for 3 months from date of issue if memory serves me right) to avoid any hassle.

Me either Thaiflyer1.

Can't you change it or hi jack the driver?

If only eh! ............thinking about forking out another 2300baht or whatever and going with the Visa Shop (thats if i can get booked of course). Any show of funds required? Also is a breakfast /lunch thrown in?

The "Visa Shop" charges 2200 baht all inclusive but no breakfast or lunch is included... they normaly make two refreshment stops on the way to Cambodia and two stops on the way back. I believe they only go to Pong Nam Ron on Mondays. No need to show funds on the 8th of November.

udon:  the transport is a mini bus (rot dtoo ) and the drivers are inveriably mad ! that's how they get there and back so fast  :o

Thanks john, I want to run a vipbus from bkk to that border, that's why I went to check the roads.

It's a much better venue than Dodge City and a little shorter. :D

2100bt from bkk.

The only peeps who use it are the Thai gamblers, and a few Cambodians going home.

udon:  the transport is a mini bus (rot dtoo ) and the drivers are inveriably mad ! that's how they get there and back so fast  :o

Thanks john, I want to run a vipbus from bkk to that border, that's why I went to check the roads.

It's a much better venue than Dodge City and a little shorter. :D

2100bt from bkk.

The only peeps who use it are the Thai gamblers, and a few Cambodians going home.

Udon............pick me up tommorow (only joking) this is the last time i go to Aranya, bloody hate the place.............nevermind doing joint of beef today so i/m taking roast beef and colman mustard sarnies with me as a form of solace..... :D

Pong Nam Ron - Prum, new border

I have just checked and the only shop going there at the moment is the Visa Shop in Soi Bukow, just by Soi Dianna.

As he is the only one doing it there is only 2 busses at the border (12 people) and it is very fast, he only puts 6 per bus normally.

I have done this run and its a great alternative, no problems with 30 days or Multiple O giving 90 days.

Pong Nam Ron - Prum, new border

I have just checked and the only shop going there at the moment is the Visa Shop in Soi Bukow, just by Soi Dianna.

As he is the only one doing it there is only 2 busses at the border (12 people) and it is very fast, he only puts 6 per bus normally.

I have done this run and its a great alternative, no problems with 30 days or Multiple O giving 90 days.

I/m through till March now but am definately going to give it a go then.

• 2 weeks later...

How many of you would pay 999bt rtn to either Dodge City or Pong Nam Ron?

No frills , same luxury coach, 28 seater, same long seat pitch, same eye candy, DIY visas, and DIY lunch. One stop up, one stop back.

999bt is based on diesel at 15bt/litre. :o

• 3 weeks later...

After reading previous postings re visa run to Pong Nam Ron with The Visa Shop, 198/13 Soi Buakhao (just by Soi Diana), PH: 038 720621; I decided to try them out for my visa run on 10th January. Cost Baht 2,200 (no meals), left Soi Buakhao at 07:00 arrived back at 15:40. Two refreshment/relief stops plus 2 quick relief stops. Border formalities took about 1 hour, no hassle. :D

There was plenty of room in the mini-bus but it was a bumpy ride.

In comparison, a few days previous a friend did a visa run to Poi Pet (different tour company) and his comment was “a trip from ######, never again”! :o

• 7 months later...

Just got back from Pong Nam. Bus left Pattaya at 0700 and got back to Jomtien at 1520. Good quiet border and a good road to Pong nam as 85% of the way is dual carrigeway. Total cost 1700Baht including lunch and visa. Booked it through a shop half way along Soi Bakowe.

Never used the border at Aranyapet, due to too many horry stories! But this border seems to be cheaper than Klong Yai (Trat).

I don´t think this border will never be as busy as Aranyapet, due to connections to Pehnom Pehn are diffacult and it´s not easy to get to with public transport from Bangkok. But easy to get to from Pattaya!

Recommended :o

Almudena:

Can you remember the name of the shop you booked this visa run with ???  1700 baht is a good price... I would like to try their service  for my next visa run.

That puzzled me a bit............1700 baht sounds like a coach as opposed to a mini-bus and i never realised any coaches did that run. I know the outfit in Soi Bourkhao opposite the end of Soi Lengkee do the run but have never used them..........i have used in the past 5 Star visa Runs who operate out of The Sportsman Soi 13 2300 baht last time i went.........would use them again.

Edited by thaiflyer1