Help Me Find A Gym/fitness Centre With A Personal Touch

tahlin

I have a major problem.. I have lived in Chiang Mai for the past year and went to PowerHouse gym which is a small gym with a personal touch and they have fixed prices and it´s owned by an american guy :D No queues, great classes and a nice feeling to it.

I have recently moved to Bangkok, Sukhumvit 22, and can´t find a good gym anywhere. I can´t stand Cal Wow and True Fitness where you have to stay for 45 minutes to only be told the pricerange, the gym looks like musicvideo from MTV and you have to sign up for a whole year and the satff gets on your nerve.. I need a smaller place where I can relax, where people will actually know my name after a while and where they do classes like bodypump.

Im pretty desperate so anything at all wil be out of interest!! I´m a farang lady so don´t really like to join a club in a basement with lot of iron men :o

I have a major problem.. I have lived in Chiang Mai for the past year and went to PowerHouse gym which is a small gym with a personal touch and they have fixed prices and it´s owned by an american guy :D No queues, great classes and a nice feeling to it.

I have recently moved to Bangkok, Sukhumvit 22, and can´t find a good gym anywhere. I can´t stand Cal Wow and True Fitness where you have to stay for 45 minutes to only be told the pricerange, the gym looks like musicvideo from MTV and you have to sign up for a whole year and the satff gets on your nerve.. I need a smaller place where I can relax, where people will actually know my name after a while and where they do classes like bodypump.

Im pretty desperate so anything at all wil be out of interest!! I´m a farang lady so don´t really like to join a club in a basement with lot of iron men :o

I also don't like big impersonal gyms but I have been looking around for a long time for a good one in BKK to no avail. You can have a look at Now's Fitness under the Phayatai BTS but they speak only Thai and are even more expensive than the chains. I finally broke down and joined True Fitness in Central World (9th floor of Zen dept. store). It's not that bad actually! There was not a lot of pressure and within 10 mins. I signed a year contract at 1799b/mo... I have heard since I could have gotten it cheaper but it's still pretty good. I can cancel at any time if I show a plane ticket leaving Thailand, or I can put the membership on hold for up to a year when I leave. I don't find it too intrusive or meat-markety, unlike the California Wow nightmares I have looked at. And there are loads of classes. I recommend it.

*note to self* must behave myself at True as girlx is there too.....

True is nice, if you go join the one at Asoke it is cheaper but its older and feels more cramp then the one at Central World. Loads of classes and its nice and clean. I just re-signed for another year that give me access to all the Trues in LOS :o

You can try the Clarke Hatch fitness centers. Located in the Amari watergate and a few other places. Smaller more personal places.

you could try the racket club on sukhumvit 49.

the staff are possibly the laziest people i have ever come across, BUT, the other gym users (foreigners and thai) are friendly and helpful.

It is never crowded, and upstairs they have yoga, tai chi, muay thai, etc etc. also racket sports, rock climbing, pools, gym and cardio room.

(i have never attended any of the classes there, so best to look up their website and see what they offer)

Body Torgue at Thaniya Plaza (used to be Clark Hatch) is great and personal at about 1400 a month and has a pool and recently renovated with new equipment.

Olympic Club at Patumwan Princess is also very good - not so busy but great pool but about 24,000 a year though they have off peak rates.