Alternatives To Chiang Mai For A Winter Stay

KevinK

My wife and I spent a couple of weeks in Chiang Mai two winters ago but have not explored much beyond that. At the time we'd just come from 6 weeks in India and Sri Lanka which had pretty well exhausted our appetite for adventure.

We're not big city folks and Chiang Mai, lovely as parts of it are, was far larger, busier and more polluted than we had thought from reading guide books. I'm wondering if there are smaller cities that still have a decent-sized expat population and some of the amenities we appreciated about Chiang Mai (e.g. possibility of vipassana meditation and/or yoga instruction in English, some non-Thai cuisine) that might be a good home base for a stay this winter. Not hung up on the far north - could be one of the islands - but we are not party animals nor are we wealthy, so not looking for mushrooms-on-the-beach or a spa experience.

Any thoughts appreciated!

My wife and I spent a couple of weeks in Chiang Mai two winters ago but have not explored much beyond that. At the time we'd just come from 6 weeks in India and Sri Lanka which had pretty well exhausted our appetite for adventure.

We're not big city folks and Chiang Mai, lovely as parts of it are, was far larger, busier and more polluted than we had thought from reading guide books. I'm wondering if there are smaller cities that still have a decent-sized expat population and some of the amenities we appreciated about Chiang Mai (e.g. possibility of vipassana meditation and/or yoga instruction in English, some non-Thai cuisine) that might be a good home base for a stay this winter. Not hung up on the far north - could be one of the islands - but we are not party animals nor are we wealthy, so not looking for mushrooms-on-the-beach or a spa experience.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Krabi, get a rental outside of Ao Nang, walk the beach boardwalk in the evening time. Do Krabi town jaunts.

Koh Lanta, as I have posted in the Krabi forum, I enjoy Lanta.

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin, the reasons you mention are my reasons to go to Chiang Rai (provence). I have been orientating for couple of years, if you like some addresses to stay (mid / low) I can pm you.

I haven't found much about yoga and meditations, but I am sure you can find it easily.

Definately Chiang Rai.

Although it is far North, Chiang Rai has all that Chaing Mai has but on a much smaller scale.

Trust me, you`re love it.

I have to agree with “ChiangRai”

One day I would LoooVE to have my own mth. hideaway there, hmm...quite romantic!, ME THINK :o

OK polecat. You didn't like Mukdahan, how about Nong Khai? Smaleer than Chaing Mai, larger than Chiang Rai & Muk. Also on The Mekong, cool there as well this time of year.

Oh, dear Groucho, I LUURVE Mukdahan! I just don't want all these Johnny-come-latelies spoiling it!

There are many nice places in Thailand for a longer stay, so you can also try a few in stead of staying in one place.

At the moment my favorites are Chiang Rai and SriRacha:

Chiang Rai is more rural and quiet than Chiang Mai but has has everything on a smaller scale. It offers great opportunities for short trips in the environment, beautifull nature. I can recommend Chiang Rai Condotel (4500 bath/month) with all the functionalities you (I) need: a big room, TV, refrigerator, WIFI, balcony.

In SriRacha you have a more westernised environment, the sea and also lots of possibilities for short trips. I have stayed in a condotel (SriRacha condo?) next to the big warehouse Robinson (8000 bath/month).