Are You Happy In Thailand ?

Maigo6

Odd how none of the male members ( pun intended ) are mentioning it's very likely that a large portion of why they love living here is because of Thai women , young, beautiful and trained well in the art of Gold-Digging.

I believe low cost prostitution is a factor , also.

Take that element away....

Be honest...Give the women their due .

Me think: You need to expand your landing strip and/or the circle of your "digging", just a bit

and....

not all of them w/ those farangs are all , what we consider "drop-dead beautiful" anyway,

Yeah....many of those are sure "drop-dead" !!! :o

He is too busy with saving all animal in Thailand and no time even open his eyes to see how drop dead woman that are not "pros"

All my friends in Thailand they are happy and never willing to leave.

For me : I living the place we call home is where your love is.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have lived in Thailand for many years. This is my home and if at all possible, I will be here until the day they BBQ my wasted old body. This is the country that best suits my preferred VERY casual lifestyle.

Gary, you down the watering hole later today ?

I'm going to KhunMing later and will look in, if you are going what time will you be there ?

Nong Hin had about a three day party and the watering hole had live music. I think the bartender, Nit Noi, made a pocket full of money. It appears that he has taken a few days off and won't be back open until he is broke again. The place has been closed for about four days.

Are you talking about up the mountain to Kun Ming or the supermarket?

I am happy here, sure a lot of things wind me up, but it's the same back in the old country.

I would happily stay here as a base because I travel so much all over the world and the only thing that I miss about my home is my friends and family. The only thing that would make me happier would be if I was afforded some kind of long term immigration status based on my married to a Thai citizen, but then again, my country is getting harder and harder to get into as well. Unless you are a refugee :D

Yesterday the first actual construction started on my new house in the country, let's hope the experience doesn't sour me too much :o

Odd how none of the male members ( pun intended ) are mentioning it's very likely that a large portion of why they love living here is because of Thai women , young, beautiful

Most of us take that for granted. No reason to mention something so obvious. :o

ME: so so

What don't you like?

It's NOT so much about something I don't like,..... but about something I would like to have....

-True internet shopping experiences 24/7

-Overall cooler weather

-Organized zonings

-Amount of openspace in the city

-Clean and workable sidewalks condition

-better sewage system

-Better air quality

-Good and working consumer protection law

.....etcs

Just to name a few :D

You woman sure love to shop don't you? :D and noticed, it's on the top of the list :D

1) love the mai pen rai attitude

2) love relax atmosphere

3) love the food

4) love the cost of living

5) love the cost of home ownership in Thailand

6) easy to make new friends regardless if it's Thai or other nationals (men and women)

so many things to "love"

*********************HATE ANIMAL CRUELTY :o******************

After 17 months living in Hua hin I have had to return to the UK.

When I was in Thailand I never thought of or missed anywhere else.

I have been a contractor for 30 years and used to living away from my family for long periods, but I have to admit I have been homesick for Thailand every day since I got back.

In fact it's one of the reasons I logged in today and especially why I read this thread.

I have great respect for Thai people and have stood up for them on more than one occasion. In fact I have more respect for the Thai man who roots through the bin to feed his family than some of the (better off) farangs I have met in and out of Thailand.

I lived in a Thai community and they accepted me and made me feel welcome from day one. They just get on with life. My Thai wife of 11 happy years will join me here soon. (No visa problems as she has a British passport too) but we will be back to Thailand as soon as we can.

So am I happy in Thailand?

Put me down as a yes.

Nice to see so many positive replies, if anyone is in the Leong nok tha area after 15th of this month dont be shy dropin for a sherbet and a meal plenty of room if you have 1 or 2 too many,house is impossible to miss, :o

I find I'm genuinely happy here, as much as I've ever been anywhere. Good friends, good job, good food, good place.

There are some minor annoying things from time to time, but those will be everywhere, and I much prefer the type of small annoyance here to the types I have experienced elsewhere- and to the more important annoyances I have experienced elsewhere.

This comes with the important caveat that it took way too long to locate the good job- but once you're in, you're in.

By far the worst problems I experience now in Thailand are directly attributable to dysfunctions apparently common to many types of foreigners who choose to live here.

"S"

Ok people,

I have seen enough posts on this forum over the years that tells me all is not rosy for many Farangs in Thailand.

Personally, I can't think of any other country I would rather live in, and I have travelled maybe not that much, but to maybe 20 countries, and I'm happy here. Well, as happy as I'd probably be anywhere taking into account my financial situation.

I'd love to have an apartment in Monaco, a holiday Villa in Nice ( very close ), a beautiful house in Tuscany, an apartment overlooking Central Park in New York, but my financial situation precludes me from such luxuries, hence I live in Thailand.

In Thailand I can live a very good lifestyle at a very reasonable price, yes I built a house, of course it isn't mine, but guess what, it was 6 months wages, I can lose that and not worry at all, in fact for my long time GF. I would help her out until she died if needed.

I just don't get all the bitterness and hatred towards Thai people from other posters here, I'm not wearing rose tinted specs , I've lived here since 1990, not as long as some but a lot longer than others, but on December the 10th it will be 18 years for me, and it's 18 years that I don't regret. :o

A very timely post for me especially!

Currently home in Oz for medical which has given me an opportunity to look at life! (my wife (Thai) is here with me and we are fortunate enough to be staying in a very nice place - just 60 kms north of Newcastle NSW Port Stephens (North Arm Cove) idylic kangaroos with joeys come up to the back door, kookaburras land on the back verandah for a snack and the bush peacefullness is only shattered by the call of the birds - rosellas, galahs, magpies etc. The front verandah overlooks the deep anchorage of NAC and there are no shops and no through traffic. (All there is true not make believe).

Will we return to Thailand and am I happy to return to Thailand - A resounding YES - that is my 2 cents/bahts worth.

You may ask why? and that is the $64 question but the simple answer is I like the culture, the weather, the people etc and I feel it l(Thailand) likes me.

ME: so so

What don't you like?

It's NOT so much about something I don't like,..... but about something I would like to have....

-True internet shopping experiences 24/7

-Overall cooler weather

-Organized zonings

-Amount of openspace in the city

-Clean and workable sidewalks condition

-better sewage system

-Better air quality

-Good and working consumer protection law

.....etcs

Just to name a few :D

You woman sure love to shop don't you? :o and noticed, it's on the top of the list :D

Yeah

But well.......actually, I call it “the gathering instinct” ja. :D

Will be making the move in the next couple of months. My last work contract ended on 10/31 and currently selling everything I own. The wife and I plan on traveling for a few months before settling down somewhere in Thailand.

Lived in Thailand for a few years 10 years ago and loved the experience. At 41 and financially secure, Thailand is going to be the experience of a lifetime. Hopefully we both avoid the the crazy drivers and die happy in Thailand.

Maigo, I'm not quite sure why you started this topic, however...

I would just like to pass comment, you say " bitterness and hatred towards Thai people ( from posters ).

Most of it is not this at all, it is every persons right to have a whinge if they want to, granted some take it too far, but these wingers would be complaining about folks anywhere they lived not just Thais. It;'s the nature of the beast you see.

Am I happy here in Thailand, well what is Happiness? I am ok, not Happy or unhappy, I just am. I have lived in many countries if I wasn't ok I would leave.

Ok people,

I have seen enough posts on this forum over the years that tells me all is not rosy for many Farangs in Thailand.

Personally, I can't think of any other country I would rather live in, and I have travelled maybe not that much, but to maybe 20 countries, and I'm happy here. Well, as happy as I'd probably be anywhere taking into account my financial situation.

I'd love to have an apartment in Monaco, a holiday Villa in Nice ( very close ), a beautiful house in Tuscany, an apartment overlooking Central Park in New York, but my financial situation precludes me from such luxuries, hence I live in Thailand.

In Thailand I can live a very good lifestyle at a very reasonable price, yes I built a house, of course it isn't mine, but guess what, it was 6 months wages, I can lose that and not worry at all, in fact for my long time GF. I would help her out until she died if needed.

I just don't get all the bitterness and hatred towards Thai people from other posters here, I'm not wearing rose tinted specs , I've lived here since 1990, not as long as some but a lot longer than others, but on December the 10th it will be 18 years for me, and it's 18 years that I don't regret. :o

Aloha

I find that we all bring ourselves with us where ever we go, I know people that moved to Hawaii because they were unhappy where they came from and were unhappy there, if you have not learned how to love and live with yourself, you will be one unhappy puppy where ever you go, One needs to get off the porch and be a part of where you are, at the time, Give Aloha, Get Aloha, You smile, shake a hand, If you don't engage you become a Island, One act of random kindness at a time, We are only as good as our last performance, Health, Happiness, Outlook, People hear what you say, But they see what you do, And seeing is Believing, Now is the only time there is, Carpe diem.

"The Life of the People is in Our Hearts and Shows in the Land" If you don't like you, How do you expect someone else to like you, Be nice to yourself and others and you will reap the harvest, Life is to short not to be happy, May the Force, Peace and Aloha be with you, One Day at a Time, KOTO Keeper of the Ocean

I gave it almost five years (2004 to present)... no, I was not happy living in Thailand. I am now in the midst of resettling in Los Angeles and suspect I'll be happy here, once my wife rejoins me. She's the only reason I ever went to Thailand, and she's the only reason I'd ever return there.

As for why, I guess there's no better way to say it than that I could not acclimate. To the weather, literally, but also to the culture, language, etc. I felt that I was retreating into myself instead of thriving. I don't have any animosity towards Thai people or Thailand in general. There are parts of the USA where I'd probably feel just as out of place, but I was never forced by circumstance to live in those parts! :o

I reached what felt like a clear turning point this year, where I realized I had to choose a future path, because the status quo was wearing me down. At our ages (under 35), I cannot think about retirement but instead still have to worry about how to feel productive and secure. So I quit one western job and started hunting for another. (I am not really employable in Thailand.) When I found a suitable job opportunity, we decided to reverse our migration (we moved from Los Angeles to Bangkok in 2004...)

Hi Maigo6

Yes, I am happy here, very happy. Life is not a dream every day, but it is anyway a lot better than in my country of origin. I have met a wonderful thai woman, whom I married 6 years ago. We are happy together, we both have a good job, and we enjoy every day we spend together. Same as Gary, my plan is to be here until my last day on earth, unless life decides an other way.

I can understand some people being unhappy here, but I can not understand why they stay. There are ways to go back home, or to move to another country. Life is too short, and should be lived as happily as possible, not being bothered to stay in a country we don't like...

About time there was a thread like this! Yes, I am happy in Thailand. ever since I was posted here between 96-98 I have wanted to come back to live. I finally made the decision to live here permanently in June this year and so far I am very pleased with that decision. The biggest drawcard to me was the people and their friendly nature (for the cynics, I do not mean the BG's). Whilst I have a lovely home on the Central coast of NSW in Australia, there is no comparison when it comes to the people. There is no other place in the world (in my experience) where one can safely walk around the city centre at 2 AM and not be afraid of getting mugged or accosted by drunken thugs. I do not mean that Australians are unfriendly, merely that Thais seem to be far more accepting of outsiders.

For the detractors...If you don't like it, GO HOME!

Cool. This thread has turned in to another group therapy section. Yes I drink. Sorry yes I am happy in Thailand but soon I will get a dual citizenship then I can go abroad and enjoy some time in the west.

But im sure if I spend enough time there I will miss Thailand and all the whining and bickering between westerners. Oh and the I know you better then you know your self conclusions, I just love that one.

Seously if I read one more thread that's like having a go of me. im going to track IPs and slam heads thou the monitors.

Peace.

Edited by RakJungTorlae

I gave it almost five years (2004 to present)... no, I was not happy living in Thailand. I am now in the midst of resettling in Los Angeles and suspect I'll be happy here, once my wife rejoins me. She's the only reason I ever went to Thailand, and she's the only reason I'd ever return there.

As for why, I guess there's no better way to say it than that I could not acclimate. To the weather, literally, but also to the culture, language, etc. I felt that I was retreating into myself instead of thriving. I don't have any animosity towards Thai people or Thailand in general. There are parts of the USA where I'd probably feel just as out of place, but I was never forced by circumstance to live in those parts! :o

I reached what felt like a clear turning point this year, where I realized I had to choose a future path, because the status quo was wearing me down. At our ages (under 35), I cannot think about retirement but instead still have to worry about how to feel productive and secure. So I quit one western job and started hunting for another. (I am not really employable in Thailand.) When I found a suitable job opportunity, we decided to reverse our migration (we moved from Los Angeles to Bangkok in 2004...)

WOW! It's definitely different strokes for different folks. I spent the last five working years of my life in the Los Angeles area and if I NEVER see Los Angeles again, it will suit me just fine.

It took me many years to find contentment and I have found it in the boonies of Thailand. The boonies will certainly not suit everyone but I'm quite happy here.

That said, a lot depends on our circumstances. If not for my Thai wife, I couldn't live out here in the boonies.

I reached what felt like a clear turning point this year, where I realized I had to choose a future path, because the status quo was wearing me down. <snip>

I feel much the same way. I have been here four years, living very comfortably in Bangkok and Jomtien, with a car and household help....really all the comforts ...but the climate and the language are two things I can not cope with and I also found myself "retreating into myself instead of thriving" as you say.

I still like much about Thailand and am very in love with my Thai partner. For now, my solution is to spend more time (and more often) away from Thailand at my home in the desert of Southern California. I revel in the quiet and dry weather there and the ease of daily living. This arrangement seems to work for me and I am fortunate to be able to do it as I feel I am getting the best of both worlds. My partner will be undertaking a MBA program in Los Angeles soon so we will be able to be together nearly 100% of the time. Spending an entire 12 months in Thailand without respite makes me crazy, and brings me to the edge of depression as well.

In my culture (American) we tend to complain less and instead do something about what is bothering us. Which is why I was delighted to leave the US four years ago when the Bush was re-elected. Now I feel more comfortable returning there.

I too have lived in Thailand for many years. This is my home and if at all possible, I will be here until the day they BBQ my wasted old body. This is the country that best suits my preferred VERY casual lifestyle.

Gary, you down the watering hole later today ?

I'm going to KhunMing later and will look in, if you are going what time will you be there ?

Nong Hin had about a three day party and the watering hole had live music. I think the bartender, Nit Noi, made a pocket full of money. It appears that he has taken a few days off and won't be back open until he is broke again. The place has been closed for about four days.

Are you talking about up the mountain to Kun Ming or the supermarket?

Up the mountains.

I went past the bar and as you say, it was closed. I never went to the mountains in the end cos it started to rain, I will go today instead, even though it looks like rain again !

Still, gets me outta the house and into a bar somewhere no doubt . :o

Am I mad?? I 've been living and working here happily for 8 years, have a great job, over 400k/ month, own a condo and land, a lovely GF of 5.5 years and I want to leave!!! In my line of work there are just not enough real challenges here eventhough I do some regional work as well. To retire comfortably in Thailand would require 2-3 years more in the same job. Once I have given up this job there is no return most likely. Despite all of this I have decided that I need another big professional challenge elsewhere for a few years.

I have worked and lived in 5-6 countries and am not to sure where I would like to retire. Thailand is certainly on the list but there are so many other nice and relatively cheap places to retire.

Odd how none of the male members ( pun intended ) are mentioning it's very likely that a large portion of why they love living here is because of Thai women , young, beautiful and trained well in the art of Gold-Digging.

Yeah, once I grew out of sex and booze LOS was boring to me. Now I love Korea because of all the electronics I can play with and turn off whenever. And when people do come to me, they speak correct English and have more diverse personalities.

But for those that have been more places and longer and prefer Thailand, more power to you. But I went from "farang dum" to "looks like Obama".

oh, and the Nivea products are advertised as "toners" not "whiteners". and it's the same thing.

Edited by Tyree D.

Yeah, once I grew out of sex and booze LOS was boring to me. Now I love Korea because of all the electronics I can play with and turn off whenever. And when people do come to me, they speak correct English and have more diverse personalities.

But for those that have been more places and longer and prefer Thailand, more power to you. But I went from "farang dum" to "looks like Obama".

oh, and the Nivea products are advertised as "toners" not "whiteners". and it's the same thing.

Glad to see you love Korea so much that you still miss TV, despite all the ills of the place. Diverse personalities you say? Anyone I have known that has lived in the Seoul of Asia (haha) hated it.

Glad to see you love Korea so much that you still miss TV, despite all the ills of the place. Diverse personalities you say? Anyone I have known that has lived in the Seoul of Asia (haha) hated it.

I herd the reason why people hate Seoul is because they couldn’t get any action of Korean chicks.

I reached what felt like a clear turning point this year, where I realized I had to choose a future path, because the status quo was wearing me down. <snip>

I feel much the same way. I have been here four years, living very comfortably in Bangkok and Jomtien, with a car and household help....really all the comforts ...but the climate and the language are two things I can not cope with and I also found myself "retreating into myself instead of thriving" as you say.

I still like much about Thailand and am very in love with my Thai partner. For now, my solution is to spend more time (and more often) away from Thailand at my home in the desert of Southern California. I revel in the quiet and dry weather there and the ease of daily living. This arrangement seems to work for me and I am fortunate to be able to do it as I feel I am getting the best of both worlds. My partner will be undertaking a MBA program in Los Angeles soon so we will be able to be together nearly 100% of the time. Spending an entire 12 months in Thailand without respite makes me crazy, and brings me to the edge of depression as well.

In my culture (American) we tend to complain less and instead do something about what is bothering us. Which is why I was delighted to leave the US four years ago when the Bush was re-elected. Now I feel more comfortable returning there.

These are well thought out posts and I hasten to add, I am not going to knock you in anyway.

I too felt some isolation in the early days. I found that living in comfort was what was isolating me.

Once my money started to tighten up and I moved from Bangkok to Krabi then to the wilds of Chalong Phuket my isolation eased.

I love my live in a little soi with what seems like a hundred families living within 10 meters of me. People nosing in on me, seeing what I am doing, chattering and gossiping, looking at what food the falang is eating or what clothes I have out on the porch drying.

Not for everyone, but it is worth a try. Maybe that big condo in the falang area is what is separating you from the loveliest people on earth!

Good luck whatever you decide to do.