Entertainment Ban:

SoloFlyer

Official Announcement:

No Entertainment from Friday 14 November 2008 to Sunday 16 November 2008 due to the Cremation Ceremony of Princess Kalayaniwatthana and a way to pay tribute to the Princess.

Friday 14 November 2008: The Ceremony for the Crematorium Complex

Saturday 15 November 2008: The Cremation Ceremony strated at 5 PM - the Real cremation started at about 10 PM

Sunday 16 November 2008: The Ceremony of collecting ash and the remainings of Princess to put into Royal Urn and the crypt box whcih will be eventually interred in the Royal cemetory within Wat Rajbophit temple. The urn will be kept in the 3rd floor of Chakkri Maha Prasart Building.

I presume this will be fairly heavily enforced, and anyone wanting to flout it should keep in mind the shooting in Pai last year.

Before you start crying about this, think about the culture here. They only ask for a very small amount of action. And a 'ban' on entertainment isn't too much to ask, in my opinion. And in the opinion of million's of Thai's and farangs.

Edited by sbk

Bummer that it includes Friday. :o

A whole weekend down the drain. However I won't be trying to find places to drink for this occasion, or even have a drink in private. I know it's silly season on all the ridiculous things they ban alcohol for, but in this case I will personally abide by it out of respect.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

[quote name='Loaded' post='2313834' date='2008-11-05

Before you start crying about this, think about the culture here. They only ask for a very small amount of action. And a 'ban' on entertainment isn't too much to ask, in my opinion. And in the opinion of million's of Thai's and farangs.

Not too sure 'millions of farangs' agree with you.

I don't get upset by the deaths of people who didn't know I even exist. Were you a Diana fan Ajarn?

Edited by sbk

[quote name='Loaded' post='2313834' date='2008-11-05

Not too sure 'millions of farangs' agree with you.

I don't get upset by the deaths of people who didn't know I even exist. Were you a Diana fan Ajarn?

Sorry, I thought my meaning was clear.."Millions of Thais and Farangs"

I think most Thai view her passing with great respect. Expecially in the North.

No, not a Diana fan. But I am a Thai Fan :o

What, exactly, does "no entertainment" mean ?

I think it means one should refrain from enjoying oneself, be it drinking, dancing or whatever, and to be seen showing respect or confining oneself to one's barracks instead. Fair enough, guess you have to go with the flow, although feel for those unsuspecting tourists on their once-in-a-lifetime vacation.

"although feel for those unsuspecting tourists on their once-in-a-lifetime vacation."

That will be another blow to the tourism in (not only) Chiang Mai after all the days lost last december due to all those elections.

If you add, that legally no one should be sold any alcoholic drink between 14:00 and 17:00, Thailand as fun destination is dead.

Tourists looking to have such restrictions should consider Saudia Arabia as a new destination. The flying time from Europe is much shorter.

"although feel for those unsuspecting tourists on their once-in-a-lifetime vacation."

That will be another blow to the tourism in (not only) Chiang Mai after all the days lost last december due to all those elections.

If you add, that legally no one should be sold any alcoholic drink between 14:00 and 17:00, Thailand as fun destination is dead.

Tourists looking to have such restrictions should consider Saudia Arabia as a new destination. The flying time from Europe is much shorter.

After this and last year's lost business due to elections, tourists must be confused and business owners angry. The new '5' star hotels that recently opened in the city are struggling. I was told that Shangrila has an occupancy of around 10 rooms per night. Now let's tell potential visitors that for 3 days of their holiday they can't drink wine with their evening meal or have a beer with the locals at a kantoke dinner. There will be fewer tourists travelling abroad in the next few years and Thailand needs to work to attract them here, or start closing down its tourism industry.

I don't see how having a beer is showing disrespect. We live in a country where funerals are nearly always events of drunken excess. To be truly Thai we should all be rolling drunk for the 3 days of the ceremony.

Edited by Loaded

After this and last year's lost business due to elections, tourists must be confused and business owners angry. The new '5' star hotels that recently opened in the city are struggling. I was told that Shangrila has an occupancy of around 10 rooms per night. Now let's tell potential visitors that for 3 days of their holiday they can't drink wine with their evening meal or have a beer with the locals at a kantoke dinner. There will be fewer tourists travelling abroad in the next few years and Thailand needs to work to attract them here, or start closing down its tourism industry.

I don't see how having a beer is showing disrespect. We live in a country where funerals are nearly always events of drunken excess. To be truly Thai we should all be rolling drunk for the 3 days of the ceremony.

My sentiments entirely.

AND, I will be having a drink if I choose to do so.

Posts have been deleted. Lets not only remember the forum rules but to show some respect.

there's hardly anything more disgusting than those mental peasants bitching and whining "ohmygosh, again the bars will be closed" :o

ok, gotcha. this may be a stupid question, but will restaurants still be open? what about cinemas? am curious as to what technically constitutes 'entertainment'.

Alchohol is the answer.

Restaurants can sell food, but no strong drink, and Go Go Bars can stay open if they just sell tea or cola, but they hardly ever do. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Alchohol is the answer.

Restaurants can sell food, but no strong drink, and Go Go Bars can stay open if they just sell tea or cola, but they hardly ever do. :o

thanks, man. i don't imagine that three days' teetotalism will do anybody's liver any harm.

Official Announcement:

No Entertainment from Friday 14 November 2008 to Sunday 16 November 2008 due to the Cremation Ceremony of Princess Kalayaniwatthana and a way to pay tribute to the Princess.

Friday 14 November 2008: The Ceremony for the Crematorium Complex

Saturday 15 November 2008: The Cremation Ceremony strated at 5 PM - the Real cremation started at about 10 PM

Sunday 16 November 2008: The Ceremony of collecting ash and the remainings of Princess to put into Royal Urn and the crypt box whcih will be eventually interred in the Royal cemetory within Wat Rajbophit temple. The urn will be kept in the 3rd floor of Chakkri Maha Prasart Building.

I presume this will be fairly heavily enforced, and anyone wanting to flout it should keep in mind the shooting in Pai last year.

I this ban just for changmai whole of thailand?

ok, gotcha. this may be a stupid question, but will restaurants still be open? what about cinemas? am curious as to what technically constitutes 'entertainment'.

Most Thais and Tourists don't have cooking facilities so restaurants will still be open, but without Live music etc.

Posts have been deleted. Lets not only remember the forum rules but to show some respect.

there's hardly anything more disgusting than those mental peasants bitching and whining "ohmygosh, again the bars will be closed" :o

Have to agree with the Klingon. Buy some booze beforehand and drink at home, organize a few bimbos, what is the big deal? For tourism they could look at allowing international hotel guests to drink in-house.

In fact if anything all the other alcohol bans re elections, religious holidays and other irrelevant events subtract from an event that actually is important to Thais, and as such diminishes this period of sobriety.