This Big Bike Thing

MJP

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are the big bikes worth what you have to pay for them here, of course not.

But, it depends on what yuo plan to do on the bike we ahve a 2500Klm trip planned. No way on a 125, I've doen a similar trip on a Phantom, they will do it. But not nearly as comfartble as a dragstar 400.

We have a small electric bike for our village. Just fine for that.

So I guess the anwer is in what you plan to do with the bike.

Salut Gobs,

Well said and I might add- In my humble opinion one should only buy a bike with dodgy paperwork if one can afford to lose said bike.

Just my 2 satang :o

Happy Trails!

There is a big difference between 2 satang and 200,000 baht.

I sold a 1982 Suzuki GS850G in Houston in 2000. If it had been running, I could have gotten maybe $850 for it. Here, I see bikes that are up to 26 years old, going for outrageously high prices, with unknown histories. Not worth it, IMHO.

Yes decent bikes cost money here, maybe more money than in the countries we come from::

But,   I can ride nearly every day of the year, sometimes sitting out the odd shower.

If I do encounter the police because I am going a bit faster than I should, I do not lose my licence, just a few Baht.

There are fantastic, good surfaced, quiet roads with amazing scenery in many parts of Thailand. 

Running costs,  including fuel,  servicing, many spares are much much cheaper than in Europe.

And lastly I have met many great folks, some of which have become close friends.

Of course I could do all that on a Phantom,(except maybe going too fast)  but not with the same comfort, or enjoyment.  Having ridden in several European countries, there is nowhere else I would want swap for Thailand ,even with high bike purchase prices.

Edited by johngooding

Yes decent bikes cost money here, maybe more money than in the countries we come from::

But, I can ride nearly every day of the year, sometimes sitting out the odd shower.

If I do encounter the police because I am going a bit faster than I should, I do not lose my licence, just a few Baht.

There are fantastic, good surfaced, quiet roads with amazing scenery in many parts of Thailand.

Running costs, including fuel, servicing, many spares are much much cheaper than in Europe.

And lastly I have met many great folks, some of which have become close friends.

Of course I could do all that on a Phantom,(except maybe going too fast) but not with the same comfort, or enjoyment. Having ridden in several European countries, there is nowhere else I would want swap for Thailand ,even with high bike purchase prices.

Couldn't said it better myself.

Add bit more of adventure and young in heart spirit and you're all set. It is a great pastime and worth every penny spent on nice bike.

Some posters even suggest it is ridiculous to spend higher amount to buy decent bike.... :o . If you are really into it, it don't really matter even with all these green book/tax issues etc. I am yet to meet avid biker who moved from western country (and much cheaper bikes) to Thailand without decent ride.

Edited by CroBiker

Hi All,

Brought the baby Ninja in for service today and reconfirmed with the nice folks at Kawasaki that they are still planning to start selling the ER-6N in January 2009. Price still not set in stone, but they're saying it will likely be UNDER 290,000THB icon_lol.gif

ER6NBlk.jpg

Walked over to the Yamaha Big Bike showroom while my bike was getting serviced.

The FZ6 is one sweet looking ride! :D

fz6_black.jpg

As much as I LOVE the FZ6, there's no way I'm going to throw down 437,000THB icon_eek.gif for the Yamaha if I can get the ER-6N for under 300,000THB. :o

I can't help but wonder how the ER-6N is going to impact/influence big bike prices here in the LOS... It can only be a good thing! icon_cool.gif

Hi All,

Brought the baby Ninja in for service today and reconfirmed with the nice folks at Kawasaki that they are still planning to start selling the ER-6N in January 2009. Price still not set in stone, but they're saying it will likely be UNDER 290,000THB icon_lol.gif

ER6NBlk.jpg

Walked over to the Yamaha Big Bike showroom while my bike was getting serviced.

The FZ6 is one sweet looking ride! :D

fz6_black.jpg

As much as I LOVE the FZ6, there's no way I'm going to throw down 437,000THB icon_eek.gif for the Yamaha if I can get the ER-6N for under 300,000THB. :o

I can't help but wonder how the ER-6N is going to impact/influence big bike prices here in the LOS... It can only be a good thing! icon_cool.gif

That is dirt cheap for classy naked bike such as ER. No doubt it will be very popular.

With the forthcoming FTA with Japan I think it's worth waiting. The 'Big Four' are going to struggle to shift bikes in the current market, which is by all accounts going to get tougher over the next few years as we slide into this miserable global recession (outright depression in the UK, I'm here at the moment and seriously, the place has absolutely gone to the dogs in a matter of months, facing real poverty).

FTA = New market = Lot's of models coming to the dealerships (finger's crossed).

Thailand's a clean slate when it comes to the big bike market and I can see the Big Four really getting competitive in LOS.

Let us pray . . .

Oh, I have found plenty big bike for 100-200k with green books and plates. Used market in everything is facing serious deflation. Not buying anything without green book and plates, you guys are so right, who needs the stress (I've suffered the UK for long enough and stress is now off the menu).

Thanks chaps.

Yeah thats been my point in a few discussions.. If the ER6N does hit at a high 2 price (my local Kwaker says 270 !!!) then as nice as the FZ6 is, the price differential is just too high... Also with the current strong baht v GBP / EUR / AUD perhaps some bean counter will look at a price reset.

The way I see it theres quite a few curveballs that could effect new bike high end pricing and I am just that little bit too mean to want to splash out on a toy at a time when prices might have a compression like that.

I do so love the FZ6N tho.. I think its almost as ideal as you can get for Thai road riding.