Female Farang Needing Car A/c Advice!

carolinep

I had a reconditioned a/c put into my old Daewoo about 6 months ago. It came with a 12mth warranty. Every 2 mths I've had to have the a/c re-gassed. I returned it to the mechanic for them to fix under the warranty, but he said he won't as it's the 'Evaporator' which has the problem. Someone told me he's taking me for a ride- but I've got no idea about cars!!!! Does anyone know an HONEST a/c mechanic in/near Pattaya, or could give me advice on whether an 'evaporator' should be covered under warranty!?

Thank You!!! :o

Without actually looking at your car its difficult to offer useful advice. However, I had some trouble with my air con recently on a trip to Tak ( 6 hrs ). When we left Bangkok the air was working o.k. About 70 kilometres short of Tak the air con slowly faded then completely packed up. As soon as I arrived in Tak I took it to an air con service centre. The guy looked at it then advised doing nothing for 10 to 15 minutes. ?? I asked for an explanation and was told that as I had set the air con to max for the whole trip the system had ' iced up ' in the collector box ( ?? ) and nothing was flowing. Sure enough, 15 minutes later, the ice had melted and the air con was fine again. He advised me that in future on long trips to only have the air con set to about three quarters on so that it wouldn't ice up. His total charge was 20 baht...pretty honest of him and no trouble since. I mention all this as perhaps you might also have your air con set to max ???? Good luck with it anyway.

Hi Caroline, that's pretty dodgy! If the system was sold with a warranty then they should stand by it. If the car didn't have air-conditioning then they HAD to put an evaporator in! The diagram shows the evaporator as a part but in reality it is inside the ductwork with the heater core. That is IN the car, not the engine compartment. If it is leaking your health could be at risk. To be re-charged that many times in that few months is bad! Check your paperwork to make sure you got a warranty for the entire system then go back and demand satisfaction.

post-63954-1226316906_thumb.jpg

Exactly which part of your A/C system did you have replaced with a reconditioned unit? I'm guessing here that you didn't have the whole system replaced, but rather the compressor, which is, in simple terms, the pump which runs off a belt drive on the engine. That is the most common part of an A/C system to fail. It's obvious you have a coolant leak somewhere, but if that leak isn't off the compressor, or the pipes which attach to it, and that is the only part you have had replaced, then maybe the mechanic is not taking you for a ride.

I'm afraid I don't know of a good A/C chap in Pattaya; but if you take your car to any other A/C garage and ask them to find out where the leak is - they should be able to do it fairly simply. Second opinion as it were. There are ways of 'sniffing out' where a coolant leak is. Usual places for a leak are where the pipes go through the engine bulkhead into the passenger compartment. As BSJ says - if the leak is inside the car (unlikely, but possible) it definitely needs to be addressed pronto as you shouldn't be breathing the stuff! If the leak turns out to be on the bit you've had replaced - go back and bang on his desk.

Usally is only warranty on the replaced items. But i don't think all parts of your AC got replaced. A good AC shop is in Banglamung, i use him foe many yeas, honest guy. I don't remeber the name but he stay at the same building where the former Ministery of Tranpostation was located. Easy to find. His Phone Number: 081 864 57 02