Air Guns In Thailand?

jaideeguy

I see these 'soft' air guns all over LOS and at the indochina markets and I have seen 'real' air guns, but usually under the counter and semi-hidden. Have also seen these homemade long barrel rifels that shoot steel balls...mostly for shooting [endangered?] birds by the locals.

What I would like to do is import a pump air pistol that shoots lead pellets. The shipper leaves the responsibility of local laws up 2 me and claims that they will not be responsible if it gets hung up in customs.

My intended use is simply to plink at cans and to occasionally give a stray dog a little sting when they get too close to my chickens. 2 or 3 pumps will just give a stinging reminder to a dog without breaking the skin. I will not kill or injure any animal!!

Does anyone know or have experience with the laws re: importing and possession of an pellet air-pistol????

If you manage it please let me know as I want to do the same thing.

The law here states that any weapon that uses "compressed gases" (and that covers air guns) require a firearms certificate.

Those long barrel pump guns are extremely powerful and could probably kill if aimed properly.

The airsoft guns, well there a couple of different types, the gas fired and the motor operated. The gas ones I am almost sure would be a problem, however the machine gun type work on an electric motor, so I guess it is a bit of a grey area, I suspect however that the motor will compress a spring or cylinder, therefore back to the problem of compressed gas.

The plan I intend to use when I next visit the home country is to dismantle my pum guns into small pices and hand carry the piston section back here. The trigger and firing mechanism could go in the post, stocks and barrels could be remade here.

You could take your chances and have them shipped, but what the consequences are if caught....maybe more than simple confiscation!

Some of the Airsoft guns available here are pretty good for plinking, have a look at the EG720 Colt, semi automatic and reasonably accurate at about 20-30 yards.

I was wondering if it is possible to convert these to compressed air or CO2? There would be an issue with lubricant I believe, but it may be possible...any ideas?

>Does anyone know or have experience with the laws re: importing and possession of an pellet air-pistol????

Use a Y shaped piece of wood and a sling shot rubber, about 10 Baht local market - no licence required - no neighbours to report farang using a gun - no importation hassle - plenty of time require to develop aiming skill and collect small stones.

You could knock up a rough crossbow - they seem to be legal?

These guns are used by Thais quite often for shooting birds and other wildlife. And why would you want to injure dogs?

If you have this desire to play blink cans, than why not use pebbles. That`s what I used to do before I grew up.

Airguns are for airheads and serve no useful purpose other than for killing and injuring.

I have an illegal air rifle that I enjoy shooting cats with. I have also recreated the ambience of certain parts of the Philippines and China, by completely removing the annoying sound of birdsong / other animal sounds in a morning. :o

(j/k)

• Haha 1

I have an illegal air rifle that I enjoy shooting cats with. I have also recreated the ambience of certain parts of the Philippines and China, by completely removing the annoying sound of birdsong / other animal sounds in a morning. :o

(j/k)

Like children, they become distressed if you threaten to take away their toys.

Edited by sassienie

If you have this desire to play blink cans, than why not use pebbles. That`s what I used to do before I grew up.

That's what I did as well before I grew up. Then as I grew up I got the 'slingshot'. I got a little bigger (12) and my Daddy got me the single shot 20GA. Then as I grew even more I moved up to the pump action Remington as well as my trusty .340 Weatherby. Then I grew up even more and went to strictly using a compound bow (the last being a Browning) because I enjoyed the challenge of the 'stalk' and 'hunt'.... Since moving away from the Great Rocky Mountains and here to LOS I have given up on hunting altogether (wonder why) and just relax with a few brewskis...... :o

These guns are used by Thais quite often for shooting birds and other wildlife. And why would you want to injure dogs?

Airguns are for airheads and serve no useful purpose other than for killing and injuring.

Typical 'ban it all' mentality sassiene............... why don't you go back to using pebbles like you used to instead of spouting emotive claptrap like that. FYI there are MANY out there that enjoy airsoft ................including this 'airhead' that spend 20 years in tactical law enforcement!!!!! Kn#b!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see these 'soft' air guns all over LOS and at the indochina markets and I have seen 'real' air guns, but usually under the counter and semi-hidden. Have also seen these homemade long barrel rifels that shoot steel balls...mostly for shooting [endangered?] birds by the locals.

Could you or anyone please say where you buy these "soft air guns" in Chiang Mai?

AirSoft is a blast, and the technology blows paint ball away. For those that spurn airsoft... I imagine there is a generation gap issue at the root of the matter.

Regardless, it has become a very popular sport/game & an industry.

A simple AEG automatic electric gun will run about 3500. But that is just for a basic, you can spend well over 10K if you are not careful.

PALEEESE, spare me the lectures on air gun safety and injuring animals!!! As I clearly stated in my OP.....

"My intended use is simply to plink at cans and to occasionally give a stray dog a little sting when they get too close to my chickens. 2 or 3 pumps will just give a stinging reminder to a dog without breaking the skin. I will not kill or injure any animal!!"

I wouldn't 'sting' the dog if it laid eggs. I just want to discourage future attacks from dogs on my helpless chickens.

And PARDON ME, if i get a little enjoyment from shooting tin cans!!! What a wonderful sound it is when you hit a can and it goes flying!!

Soft air guns are available in most toy shops in CM, but the problem with them is that they use lite weight plastic balls with little accuracy.

I just wanted to know the Thai laws re: pump pellet air guns, no lectures please.......

PALEEESE, spare me the lectures on air gun safety and injuring animals!!! As I clearly stated in my OP.....

"My intended use is simply to plink at cans and to occasionally give a stray dog a little sting when they get too close to my chickens. 2 or 3 pumps will just give a stinging reminder to a dog without breaking the skin. I will not kill or injure any animal!!"

I wouldn't 'sting' the dog if it laid eggs. I just want to discourage future attacks from dogs on my helpless chickens.

And PARDON ME, if i get a little enjoyment from shooting tin cans!!! What a wonderful sound it is when you hit a can and it goes flying!!

Soft air guns are available in most toy shops in CM, but the problem with them is that they use lite weight plastic balls with little accuracy.

I just wanted to know the Thai laws re: pump pellet air guns, no lectures please.......

I think you would be surprise (a little) in regard to their accuracy. I admitt they are not as accurate as a real pellet gun, such as a Sheridin (sp) but they make up for their lack of accuracy with ROF of 14 balls per second (and sometimes more). The BBs hurt like a bee sting but the pain goes away in a matter of seconds. But it is enough pain to illicit a yelp out of someone, and remember if you lay fire down for one second.... you just hit an object/person 14 times

Could you or anyone please say where you buy these "soft air guns" in Chiang Mai?

Go to the Airport Plaza, park in the open air car park round the back, then walk up to near where the fountains are (usually has a stage set up) as you walk in on your left, before the main mall, is a stall that sells loads of camouflage gear, they have a great assortment, machine guns, pistols etc. etc. It is about the first stall on your left walking in.

Hope that helps.

They had an EG720 Colt for 2900 Baht, pretty good compared to the usual rubbish....but some of the stuff will set you back 10K!

Edited by Underdog

Most of the do gooders here have probably never tried these guns, nor will ever appreciate the fun you can have, but as another poster mentioned, it can get expensive and is addictive!

Airsoft is great....................take a look at the sniper rifles if you want some fun...............they are no

where near as accurate as the "real steel" but still effective up to 30-40 metres. A decent set up can

be 10-20 k (spring or electric). The aeg's are cool but dont have the range of the sniper rifles. Yes the

bb's do sting, but wont harm anything bigger than a jingjok.

Airsoft is great....................take a look at the sniper rifles if you want some fun...............they are no

where near as accurate as the "real steel" but still effective up to 30-40 metres. A decent set up can

be 10-20 k (spring or electric). The aeg's are cool but dont have the range of the sniper rifles. Yes the

bb's do sting, but wont harm anything bigger than a jingjok.

Beg to differ, my two dogs are much bigger than little lizards, and a shot in the balls seemed to harm them somewhat...lessons in not to steal and eat peoples shoes..volume 1.