Asoke Corner No More!

kreon

just got back from soi cowboy and asoke corner!

what happend here another soi 10 story!

apparantly in front of some tv camera's about 50 guy's went in there and smashed the place apart. :o

i took a video inside, totally black and saw some gals and owners crying :D

looks like we are still in the dark ages here :D

Edited by kreon

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if indeed there were legal agreements that were in place, I feel sorry for the owners/workers.

But I am guessing not. The place was an eyesore anyway.

Sorry, but thats my opinion.

eyesore or not....of which i see many in thailand...does not mean you have to take the law in your own hands.

i guess this is the worldwide publicity they want here, why not tackle ratchadapisek instead, full with whore castles, but i presume these are not eysores :o

Edited by kreon

Which also reminds me - there's that beer bar area on Soi 22. I know one owner there and she's getting a little nervous about it. Doesn't matter what you think if these places, there are peoples livelihoods at stake.

You see the fuzz walking around there every day now at all hours, coming into bars and introducing stupid random restrictions. I sometimes appreciate what the govt is trying to do in regards to cleaning up the city, but the way it's executed quickly makes me loose all empathy with them.

Which also reminds me - there's that beer bar area on Soi 22. I know one owner there and she's getting a little nervous about it. Doesn't matter what you think if these places, there are peoples livelihoods at stake.

You see the fuzz walking around there every day now at all hours, coming into bars and introducing stupid random restrictions. I sometimes appreciate what the govt is trying to do in regards to cleaning up the city, but the way it's executed quickly makes me loose all empathy with them.

not beats owning the land :o

if indeed there were legal agreements that were in place, I feel sorry for the owners/workers.

i guess this is the worldwide publicity they want here, why not tackle ratchadapisek instead, full with whore castles, but i presume these are not eysores :o

haha, if it was my call - from the eyesore persepctive, Pattaya would be next, then maybe Ratchada after that.

Agree that vigilantism is not the best way. Also would like to legalise the whole industry, so that it could be properly regulated....but thats a long way off.

If you walk up Soi 22 you can see all the new tower blocks under construction where really nice places used to be.

Also I know several of the bar owners in Washington Square and their legal leases are due up at the end of 2005, so I guess that Washington Square will become a new hotel/mall/ anything else we can put in sort of place then. As if Bangkok actually needed any more big hotels or shopping malls.

However life will go on and memories get better over the years.

i guess this is the worldwide publicity they want here, why not tackle ratchadapisek instead, full with whore castles, but i presume these are not eysores :D

haha, if it was my call - from the eyesore persepctive, Pattaya would be next, then maybe Ratchada after that.

Agree that vigilantism is not the best way. Also would like to legalise the whole industry, so that it could be properly regulated....but thats a long way off.

phnom penh here we come... :o

i guess this is the worldwide publicity they want here, why not tackle ratchadapisek instead, full with whore castles, but i presume these are not eysores :D

phnom penh here we come... :o

Thats entirely your choice. These things are never a zero sum game. What replaces the bars will undoubtely help provide a livelihood to others too, and most likely provide more viable options for the future.

Edited by samran

Thats entirely your choice. These things are never a zero sum gain. What replaces the bars will undoubtely help provide a livelihood to others too, and most likely provide more viable options for the future.

maybe you should tell that to the people who have just had their livelihoods destroyed. what about the familes of the girls that worked there? the owners? i'm sure they'd be very interested in your comments .............

Thats entirely your choice. These things are never a zero sum gain. What replaces the bars will undoubtely help provide a livelihood to others too, and most likely provide more viable options for the future.

maybe you should tell that to the people who have just had their livelihoods destroyed. what about the familes of the girls that worked there? the owners? i'm sure they'd be very interested in your comments .............

I do feel, but there are better options out there. I actually feel for the girls more, who, in 10 years time are spat out onto the 'too old' scrap heap, with no skills, no pension and no benefits, with their money sucked away by their leaching families and send their kids into the continual cycle of poverty.

I don't agree with the manor that the place was pulled down, even though I don't know the politics of the land ownership.

BUT to say the place had character is well over the top, it was a rat invested, sewer smelling sh*t hole. Furthermore, when walking past the place, especially in daylight hours, I really had a problem with the ugly birds trying to pull me and any other farang into their bars. You can't do this on a busy intersection in Bangers, Jeez this isn't Pattaya <deleted>!

just got back from soi cowboy and asoke corner!

what happend here another soi 10 story!

apparantly in front of some tv camera's about 50 guy's went in there and smashed the place apart. :o

i took a video inside, totally black and saw some gals and owners crying :D

looks like we are still in the dark ages here :D

Shame, it was a good place to stop for a cold drink on a hot day, while it was a bit ramshackle, some of the bars tried hard to make their bars look good. It also worries me that a lot of owners put memoriablia in their bars and these goons just walk in and steal it or wreck it.

I sometimes appreciate what the govt is trying to do in regards to cleaning up the city, but the way it's executed quickly makes me loose all empathy with them.

Well yes you have a point here, BUT, the bar owners and the girls working Asoke only had themselves to blame. They showed total disrespect to everyone on that corner. Think of the middleclass families in their cars waiting for those lights to change looking at that <deleted>, think of the normal tourists having to endue walking past that smell. I personally cringed with embarrassment walking past only to relax when I reached Cowboy.

Yeah, the place has no right or use in a modern BKK

I guess Soi 11 will go next and again no tears from me.

I sometimes appreciate what the govt is trying to do in regards to cleaning up the city, but the way it's executed quickly makes me loose all empathy with them.

Well yes you have a point here, BUT, the bar owners and the girls working Asoke only had themselves to blame. They showed total disrespect to everyone on that corner. Think of the middleclass families in their cars waiting for those lights to change looking at that <deleted>, think of the normal tourists having to endue walking past that smell. I personally cringed with embarrassment walking past only to relax when I reached Cowboy.

It was an embarassment full stop. Just as soi 10 was and clinton plaza and the horrible bars that are there now. I've porbably only ever had three beers there.

I'm glad they've gone and the bar owners have really got to look at their behavior. If they choose to have their girls spruiking on a major intersection in front of business people, tourists etc. who can blame the Govt for not wanting the eyesore.

Soi Cowboy will go soon! Don't believe they put a subway station at Cowboy's doorstep by chance, do you?

It's prime real estate, Asoke corner. Perfect for a 35 story hotel or shopping centre.

Move the whores inside a grubby soi down the track a bit and everythings fine.

As for soi 22 and Washington square. It wouldn't matter if you had a fish and chip shop or a dry cleaners when the time comes for the land use to be upgraded to a multi story building site the little shops go. No question. I don't particularly believe that the anti-fun police have anything to do with it. It's just progress.

Gotta agree this place was a real eyesore. I like the odd beer in Cowboy or Nana myself but I certainly don't appreciate being accosted and greeted like a whoremonger when I'm walking past a main intersection minding my own business, walking home from work, doing some shopping etc.

There's a time and a place for this type of thing and that place is in some sort of zone withdrawn a bit from the main street just like Cowboy and Nana are. Otherwise you are just going to antagonize everybody. Actually, it shows how "influential" Patpong must be to maintain its rather brazen position at the epicenter of the CBD.

:o

It was an embarassment full stop. Just as soi 10 was and clinton plaza and the horrible bars that are there now. I've porbably only ever had three beers there.

I'm glad they've gone and the bar owners have really got to look at their behavior. If they choose to have their girls spruiking on a major intersection in front of business people, tourists etc. who can blame the Govt for not wanting the eyesore.

Soi Cowboy will go soon! Don't believe they put a subway station at Cowboy's doorstep by chance, do you?

It's prime real estate, Asoke corner. Perfect for a 35 story hotel or shopping centre.

Move the whores inside a grubby soi down the track a bit and everythings fine.

As for soi 22 and Washington square. It wouldn't matter if you had a fish and chip shop or a dry cleaners when the time comes for the land use to be upgraded to a multi story building site the little shops go. No question. I don't particularly believe that the anti-fun police have anything to do with it. It's just progress.

Personally, I hope Cowboy will be ok, 95% of the human traffic will turn left as they come up from the subway so they won't see Cowboy......I heard that the Asoke Bar area is to become a Multi-story car park???

And you are right, its simply progress.

Eyesore or not, I don't think for a second this was the reason it was pulled down. I have to walk past it every night on the way home from work and found I could take a wide berth to avoid any unnecessary attention.

I feel very sorry to all who lost their jobs/businesses