Coming To Bangkok--what Type Of Mobile Phone?

VitraFromNewYork

Hello all,

I'm coming to Thailand for a couple of months and need lots of advice on everything, but for now--can anyone tell me what type of mobile phone I should bring with me to Bangkok?

My friend used his Sony Ericsson and it worked there so would that be the best choice?

Thanks for your help,

Vitra

Hello Traveler,

My advice would be to purchase an unlocked phone on ebay or buy any phone and get someone to unlock it in bkk. You can then select any type of service that suits your needs.

Good luck!

I seem to remember looking on ebay that US mobile networks use different frequencies than the UK that uses the same as Thailand. Which is GSM900/1800 , therefore I believe although there might be multi frequency phones available many U.S. phones will not work in Thailand.

Any mobile that is already unlocked/sim free or get it unlocked at MBK and then buy a Happy Dprompt sim card , pre-paid.

-------------

Whoops, I didn't notice you were coming from NY..... buy your phone here then. Lots of good deals around. :o

Edited by udon

Where is this MLB and I would like to have my phone unlocked to use any sim card here in thailand,Its a NEC from AT&T and so far no one has had a sim card that will work(I have only been to Big C and carr four),Its a duel mode phone and works fine execpt my service is still in America and if I make a local call here in thailand its USD 1.30 a minute,My contract has expired with AT@T so the phone is mine.

Where is this MLB and I would like to have my phone unlocked to use any sim card here in thailand,Its a NEC from AT&T and so far no one has had a sim card that will work(I have only been to Big C and  carr four),Its a duel mode phone and works fine execpt my service is still in America and if I make a local call here in thailand its USD 1.30 a minute,My contract has expired with AT@T so the phone is mine.

AT&T is GSM, so presumably it's 900/1800 when abroad and 1900MHz in the US. (If it's only 900/1900 or 1800/1900 - check your phone - it will affect your choice of network.)

MBK is next to National Stadium station on the Skytrain. - you can get to it without even going down to street level - walk back in the direction the train has come from, and turn right. It has a giant MBK above the main entrance (2nd walkway on the right). Go in, and go up in the central elevators until you get to the mobile phone floor.

Only issue you might have is that NEC phones aren't that common here, so there might be an issue finding someone knowing how to unlock it... (and ideally take a Thai with you so that you don't pay the "price farang").