50cc Japan Bikes

Bowery99

Hi, I have a Zoomer which is a pretty cool little bike, I also have a 82 Yamaha Popgal which is okay. I use these for driving around my current area (Pinklao near Rama 8) as I just need them to go to the store and such small trips off of the Sois around me.

The Yamaha is basicly for my girlfriend who never rode and it is a good light learner for a small girl. Plus it is a nice looking retro bike, it needs a bit of mechanical work and it is a lot like a qt50 from the states so I can get a lot of parts for it. I bought the 2 of them pretty cheap and up until now havent been to conserned with being legal on them as we pretty much stay off the main roads/streets.

I have a couple of questions about these though.

I know that the Zoomer is a very modifiable bike and I could get much more speed out of it, I love it, for a lot of reasons. The way it looks/styling (kind of naked and a little mean), the storage (I can get 6 bags of shopping on it with my girlfriend). I have to say it is much better looking than any Thai made Honda or Yamaha 110s and almost as fast as the ones I have ridden. It does do about 55 kpm too so for the most part I could ride it pretty safely on the main roads on occasion. It would not take a lot of money or work to get it a bit faster though.

So.........question number 1, is it at all possiable to make it legal? I bought it second hand and did get a reciept but no papers of any kind besides that.

I could buy a 110 twisty bike and use it to build it into something legal, but I would like to keep the frame at least as this is part of what I like as it makes it look the way it does. I was told the frame for a Icon is almost the same.

number 2: I will be moving to between Bangkhen and Minburi soon near Ramintra (but maybe not permalitly and I may end up around Sukumvit in a few months) in the next few weeks. Will it be okay to ride on streets there? I mostly see bikes with plates on the ones around there. I will want to cross Ramintra on occasion and the stores are a little father away than my present situation so I would like to go on bigger streets.

Anyway thx for input

BTW how do all these 50cc japaness bikes get over here and has anyone ever looked into getting some of them to the states where they would get decent money for them?

Most of these bikes are imported as spare parts, hence no paperwork and possibility to get them registered.

I personally am not worried of being not entirely legal (200-500 Baht can sort that out in case a copper asks some questions), but I am worried a lot about not having insurance.

Zooming around at 50km/h, little boy pops out between two cars, collide with the boy and you are in deep doodoo without insurance.

Friend of mine had something happen like that while driving his car, he was insured but the insurance had to post bail for him to get out of the nick the first day, along with later on some 500,000 Baht to the family for hospital costs and permanent disability, along with legal costs as my friend got charged with reckless driving. Judge ordered a 50,000 Baht fine (not covered by insurance!) along with resitting exams for his Thai license!

Not having insurance is not responsible!

Most of these bikes are imported as spare parts, hence no paperwork and possibility to get them registered.

I personally am not worried of being not entirely legal (200-500 Baht can sort that out in case a copper asks some questions), but I am worried a lot about not having insurance.

Zooming around at 50km/h, little boy pops out between two cars, collide with the boy and you are in deep doodoo without insurance.

Friend of mine had something happen like that while driving his car, he was insured but the insurance had to post bail for him to get out of the nick the first day, along with later on some 500,000 Baht to the family for hospital costs and permanent disability, along with legal costs as my friend got charged with reckless driving. Judge ordered a 50,000 Baht fine (not covered by insurance!) along with resitting exams for his Thai license!

What's the rest of the story? Was it simply a farang that was on the receiving end of the local's xenophobia? Or was he speeding in a residential area? Was he sober?

I do agree that not having insurance is stupid; we all make mistakes that can be very dangerous to those we share the road with.

What's the rest of the story? Was it simply a farang that was on the receiving end of the local's xenophobia? Or was he speeding in a residential area? Was he sober?

I do agree that not having insurance is stupid; we all make mistakes that can be very dangerous to those we share the road with.

I also heard of a similar situation with a farang.. It was a pure accident, not the farangs fault, in fact the padestrian was at fault but the Thai system seems to look at it like your in the car, you have the money, you pay the family etc no matter if the guy runs out in front of you. I guess they maybe work differently to a Thai in a merc but white face = pay up time.

now I don't know if no one knows anything about the subjects in my post or no one cares?

I think the reason you got no posts regarding your questions should be coming clear to you by now, if your bikes are illegal, you are illegal riding them and the gf ok to learn to ride on !!!!! really, Its simply really, yes 500baht in a police check, tit, but if it gets serious you will wish you were back in the home country :o

Nothing more to the story. The Thai courts look at pedestrian as weak road users, and even when one pops out between from between two cars and straight onto the road, you'll still be held at fault.

He was not drunk, was not speeding, but simply no chance to avoid the kid. He actually went with full brakes over the little ones foot, so the foot was pretty much to pieces.

The insurance paid for the boy without putting up a fight as they know they would not stand a chance in the courts as pedestrian's pretty much always win. And insurance companies do not like to pay if not absolutely necessary.

Even though the court found my friend guilty and fined him as such, the insurance company did not find him at fault and are still charging his premium with the full no claim discount.

Actually the court was heavy handed on him as he did something really dumb (in the eyes of the court) and drove the boy straight to hospital to get him attended to.

In Thailand you are supposed to leave your car in the middle of the road at the accident scene until the cops arrive and can mark the cars position and make the report. If you move your car you are as much as admitting guilt!

Not easy to do with a little kid you just hit, bleeding and screaming, and nobody around willing to take him to the hospital, yet legally you're better of letting him lie there until the cops or ambulance show up...

It is okay, I don't mind the giant threadjack 55555555............

Okay, I understand riding my soi hopper has its liabilities and legal problems, which was part of the reason I was asking about flipping in a 110 Icon motor (frame?) and paper work on/into it. I really like the way my bike looks, but I agree it would be better if it was a legal bike. I would feel comfortable riding it on big streets on occasion for one thing. My bike is nice looking though and has tons of storage. That is the reason I want to know about modifcations that would be good in Thailand. Would it be possible to buy an Icon type, crashed bike at a Breakers (junk yard) for instance and does any one know any good ones that have crash bikes? I am very mechanicly inclined so I could do most of the work myself.

Thanks for your replies, if you have anything good to add for me.

I am in the same predicement, I want to purchase a Honda Chaly, but hardly any come registered ?

I live just outside of Surin, what would be the issue with riding it with no plate ?

Thanks

No (Charlys or 50cc bikes) come registared, maybe a Honda C70 will have a paper but no 50cc seems worth the invoicing process and I have heard you can't register it. There very likely would be no issue with riding it with out a plate in the boonies but..........

Well for one it is not legal, and 2 you cant insure it.

I think that mostly in a places well out of BKK (like out side of Surin) a lot of families have one and even some farangs. It is really not supposed to be used on main roads although in many places it is a moot point. Even many places around BKK just not in the middle of it is mostly ok, just stay on sois.

The questions become how friendly are the police in your area toward Farangs and are you willing to take the risk on liability (If you are riding on bigger streets). I rode my girlfriends aunts Charley and Wave all over when I was in Peachaburi for Songram, no problems. But I was aware where the police set up was.

I have had mine for a year and I haven't at this point, ever even gotten more than a side glance from the cops. But I only take the main street near my house if I need gas or to go to the bank, both are pretty close so I could just tell them, I am going right there and they would probably let me go (according to Thais I know). Also you can just ride the sidewalk on big streets for shorter disitances and no one (in a legal way) seems to mind. Thing is, I like to ride and would like to take some longer trips with this/my bike, I want to make legal.

Edited by Bowery99

I am in the same predicement, I want to purchase a Honda Chaly, but hardly any come registered ?

I live just outside of Surin, what would be the issue with riding it with no plate ?

Thanks

No (Charlys or 50cc bikes) come registared, maybe a Honda C70 will have a paper but no 50cc seems worth the invoicing process and I have heard you can't register it. There very likely would be no issue with riding it with out a plate in the boonies but..........

Well for one it is not legal, and 2 you cant insure it.

I think that mostly in a places well out of BKK (like out side of Surin) a lot of families have one and even some farangs. It is really not supposed to be used on main roads although in many places it is a moot point. Even many places around BKK just not in the middle of it is mostly ok, just stay on sois.

The questions become how friendly are the police in your area toward Farangs and are you willing to take the risk on liability (If you are riding on bigger streets). I rode my girlfriends aunts Charley and Wave all over when I was in Peachaburi for Songram, no problems. But I was aware where the police set up was.

I have had mine for a year and I haven't at this point, ever even gotten more than a side glance from the cops. But I only take the main street near my house if I need gas or to go to the bank, both are pretty close so I could just tell them, I am going right there and they would probably let me go (according to Thais I know). Also you can just ride the sidewalk on big streets for shorter disitances and no one (in a legal way) seems to mind. Thing is, I like to ride and would like to take some longer trips with this/my bike, I want to make legal.

Cheers matey, thanks for the INFO !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just to share a bit of Information I have found out.

I now have a Honda Chaly 50cc, just use it round the house, but dont go into the main surin area with it.

You can put a 100cc engine in these from a Honda wave for around 6,500baht. With this, you get the green book and numberplate, Therfore I imagine the chaly would basically be a modified Wave, and all legal.

Just thought Id share that info with you, As with having a classic bike, I have become friendly with a bunch of lads from the Motorbike garage.

Thanks

Hi :o

This question is of interest for me, too, as *some day* i WILL have a 50cc Super Cub.

Most of them that i've seen have no plate on them, but then there are some that DO. Some even have seemingly vintage plates (black, with a single line of white letters). This applies to the 50 and the 70cc versions. Looking at a couple of 50cc's at a shop in Chiang Mai i was offered one without book/plate for 5,000 and another WITH both those items for 12,000 (but both poor condition), "Farang price" obviously.

At Tesco Lotus On Nut there's often (nearly every time i get there) a Chaly 50cc with number plate in the bike parking lot.

Best regards.....

Thanh

• 2 weeks later...
I paid 9000baht from Mine, Very good condition, Engine is now tuned etc, and is running perfectly for a 35yr old 50cc engine :o

n658670513_5477359_1042.jpg

Looks nice!

I am still wondering can I change the frame, engine and front end on my Zoomer with a click or Icon and use the paper on it? And where are the numbers part of what I like about my Zoomer is the alum front frame peice.

I see lots and lots of swaped out Chalys on Motorcy.com and some have papers some don't. There has to be a way. I would ship it back to the US when I move back if this is possible. Can you get a paper for a home built? I see lots of 3 wheelers which could be classified as that with them.

I was also wondering about building a home built 3wheeler myself.

• 3 weeks later...
I paid 9000baht from Mine, Very good condition, Engine is now tuned etc, and is running perfectly for a 35yr old 50cc engine :o

n658670513_5477359_1042.jpg

Greetings from next door province :-

I have just completed rebuilds of a Honda Chaly and a Yamaha Chappy -

The Honda now with a Lifan 107 cc electric start, and the Yamaha with a Lifan 107cc kick start

Here they are together :-

post-1942-1234088425_thumb.jpg

Soi bikes: I think this practice of using motos without registration or insurance is wrong. Whilst this practice, and many others, continue it perpetuates a system that encourages disregard for civic compliance.

Hi Bowery, I hope that once you have a new engine installed you will set a good example for those around you. Even if it looks to be a lost cause! :o