Sunbathing And Swimming In Bangkok

as2100dk

Hi there,

I would like to work up a tan while being here in Bankok. This will probably qualify me as crazy or weird in some Thais´ opinion ;-) And even in some farrangs´.

Are there any good places in Bangkok for this? I mean public swimmingpools or private (if not to expensive) or somewhere else?

I am staying close to Victory Monument so it would be nice if it is nearby. There is a small and very nice park a 5 minute walk from my apartment, but the pond doesn't really qualify as a swimming pool ;-) And I don't really think that the park's visitors would appriciate me lying around sunbathing.

Thank you in advance!

Alan

Hi there,

I would like to work up a tan while being here in Bankok. This will probably qualify me as crazy or weird in some Thais´ opinion ;-) And even in some farrangs´.

Are there any good places in Bangkok for this? I mean public swimmingpools or private (if not to expensive) or somewhere else?

I am staying close to Victory Monument so it would be nice if it is nearby. There is a small and very nice park a 5 minute walk from my apartment, but the pond doesn't really qualify as a swimming pool ;-) And I don't really think that the park's visitors would appriciate me lying around sunbathing.

Thank you in advance!

Alan

Check with some of the hotels to see if their swimming pools are open to the public, obviously there will be a charge.

I use a hotel swimming pool at a reasonable charge two or three times a month, albeit not in Bangkok.

:o:D

Hi there,

Thank you in advance!

Alan

Check with some of the hotels to see if their swimming pools are open to the public, obviously there will be a charge.

I use a hotel swimming pool at a reasonable charge two or three times a month, albeit not in Bangkok.

:o:D

there was / is a gym in thaniya plaza that you can go to on a day pass basis that has a pool - fitness first?

Hi there,

Thank you in advance!

Alan

This will probably qualify me as crazy or weird in some Thais´ opinion ;-) And even in some farrangs´.

You are absolutely right in both of your suppositions, only wrong by using the word "some" :o

Because only tourists are sunbathing, the rest of us stay out of the sun as most as possible.

And I don't really think that the park's visitors would appreciate me lying around sunbathing.

No they will only say, look look a crazy farang again.

• 11 months later...

since you are close to Victory monument, this might be an option for you

VP Tower (in soi Rangnam)

I know they have a pool, but no idea what hteir policy on non residents using it

other option is the National Stadium (near MBK) - would involve a skytrain ride, and not sure about the sunbathing :)

cheers

Hi there,

Thank you in advance!

Alan

This will probably qualify me as crazy or weird in some Thais´ opinion ;-) And even in some farrangs´.

You are absolutely right in both of your suppositions, only wrong by using the word "some" :)

Because only tourists are sunbathing, the rest of us stay out of the sun as most as possible.

And I don't really think that the park's visitors would appreciate me lying around sunbathing.

No they will only say, look look a crazy farang again.

Really? I've been living here 8 years and still like to top-up my tan now and again. I feel healthier for it and look better. Friends of mine do the same to get rid of their Anglo-Saxon pasty whiteness and just get a healthy glow. For the Op, I can also suggest the Central Bangna waterpark on the roof (I forget about this place so just searched out the pics...looks good! I'm going to go). It costs 250 baht. At 300 baht you've also got the Soi Klang racquet sports club just off suk 39 which is a proper laned pool with sun all day. Near Phayathai you've got the Asia Hotel which has a very small pool but full-on sunshine...they don't check guests. Going to the Olympic Club (roof of Pathumwan Princess Hotel, MBK) is a great place but you will have to pay and they do check.

Most of the larger hotels that also have a gym and a pool will sell you a day pass, if you're feeling flushed you can spend 600 baht at the Marriot on Sukhumvit and spend all day in the gym and laying next to the pool.

other option is the National Stadium (near MBK)

To MiG16 (or anyone else who might know): Is the pool next to the National Stadium now open for public swimming ? If yes, can you provide information as to hours of operation and admission fee ?

I strolled in there several years ago, only to be told by a surprised security guard that it was not available for public swimming.