Police Rescue 66 Pangolins In Chaiyaphum

george

Police rescue 66 pangolins in Chaiyaphum

CHAIYAPHUM: -- Police intercepted an attempt to smuggle 66 pangolins to Laos late Thursday night.

Police stopped a pick-up truck at a road checkpoint on the bypass Chaiyaphum - Si Khiew Road at about 30 minutes after midnight.

The pangolins were found in the truck.

Weerayuth Chaiyuth, 34 and Sakol Kham-ai, 26, were arrested.

The two said they bought the pangolins from a Thai man at a petrol station in Nonthaburi for Bt5,000 each. The unidentified man smuggled the animals form the South.

The two said they were transporting the pangolins to a Laotian man in Nongkhai and they would be paid Bt20,000 for each pangolin.

--The Nation 2009-02-06

Cruchy on the outside, soft in the middle. The Chinese and Japanese always seem to be fighting over which endangered animal they can eat next - what's wrong with these people? For that money you could buy a whole pig farm forchristasake. Leave the poor little ant-eating-meat-pies alone.

wow are n't they beautiful,have never seen before.typical that the chinese want them.

Pangolins use to be found in the forests up north, along with deer and bobcats and monkeys and gibbons, and other assorted smaller mammals. It had been around 20 years since I last heard of anyone in the hills catching a pangolin, far longer since a deer sighting. The only animal life left are insects and snakes and some small birds.

It is truly heartwarming to see The Nation publishing breaking stories online of this gravity on a subject I'm sure is on everyone's minds in these trying times, and not frivolously wasting bandwidth on articles like the Bangkok Post does, on such throwaway subjects as the Election Commission filing criminal complaints against two coalition cabinet ministers - including the new Deputy PM - on the grounds of vote-buying in local elections. The Post should be ashamed of itself for resorting to such sensationalized political trifles to sell a few extra ads*, while giving scant regard for journalism that really matters.

Three cheers to The Nation for seemingly ignoring these charges to report instead on an endangered mammal. Not only “Thailand's Biggest Business Daily”, but also a true friend of the Manidae Manis everywhere.

More on this unending problem at TRAFFIC (the plight of the pangolin I mean; for the scholarships-for-votes allegations you'd have to lower yourself and check out the Post. But why would you?)

*If anyone knows the expat forum which has teamed up with the Post for cross-marketing, as has our esteemed ThaiVisa with The Nation, please let me know so I can rebuke them for such short-sighted silliness.

It is truly heartwarming to see The Nation publishing breaking stories online of this gravity on a subject I'm sure is on everyone's minds in these trying times, and not frivolously wasting bandwidth on articles like the Bangkok Post does, on such throwaway subjects as the Election Commission filing criminal complaints against two coalition cabinet ministers - including the new Deputy PM - on the grounds of vote-buying in local elections. The Post should be ashamed of itself for resorting to such sensationalized political trifles to sell a few extra ads*, while giving scant regard for journalism that really matters.

Three cheers to The Nation for seemingly ignoring these charges to report instead on an endangered mammal. Not only "Thailand's Biggest Business Daily", but also a true friend of the Manidae Manis everywhere.

More on this unending problem at TRAFFIC (the plight of the pangolin I mean; for the scholarships-for-votes allegations you'd have to lower yourself and check out the Post. But why would you?)

*If anyone knows the expat forum which has teamed up with the Post for cross-marketing, as has our esteemed ThaiVisa with The Nation, please let me know so I can rebuke them for such short-sighted silliness.

What a childish post. If you don't find the smuggling and killing of endangered animals newsworthy then don't read it. No ones forcing you away from your gloating over the EC story, so why not get back to reading it and shut up.